E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Considering buying a used E90 or E92

09-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
silverspoon
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW... Yet.

Considering buying a used E90 or E92

Hello there, new to this forum and to BMW's as well.

When I was a kid my parents owned a BMW 3 series and when it got to be around 7-8 years old, it started to break down and I remember the visits to the mechanic to become part of my folks routine and the bills to be quite high.

Lately, I've been considering the idea of keeping my current car (a modified Subaru WRX) purely as a toy and go ahead and get another car for daily use. I've noticed a few 2008 and 2009 M3's with about 60K miles (sometimes less, way less) for around 40 grand.

I've liked this particular generation of the M3 but feel a bit hesitant about pulling the trigger on one because of the impression that 318i left in me. I am used to have cars that are extremely reliable even when modified. So I was wondering, how good of a 3-4 year old cars are these used M3's? What are the usual problems they have? Are they high maintenance? Cons/problems are there about/with the DCT? (It must be DCT equipped). Insurance, super high? (I live in Miami) Do they get regularly stolen?

Thanks for any input. Oh and nice forum! ...lots of nice cars also...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
Well I really wouldn't consider an e9x M3 with that many miles unless you know it's been meticulously maintained. Parts are going to be expensive so try getting a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

i know that m3 is not a car that endures super long.

i am not saying it is not a well made car, and yes it will last a good deal of a time if you take care of it and not beat it, but what are the chances that the owners of such awesome cars NOT push the car most of the times?

i know i would have beaten the shit out of it if i was on one. so the chances are that you will get an M3 that has been fairly pushed hard most of the times. and that means parts are worn out and repairs will be expensive because of high quality parts that it uses.

CPO will be a good way to go or save up a bit more and get a very low miled / new one.
Appreciate 0