E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Advice Needed: Gas Station worker hit my car

02-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2 paur 2 aford kar :(

Advice Needed: Gas Station worker hit my car

So the other day I was in a rush and had just gotten a ticket for expired inspection. I didn't have time to take my car to the shop I usually go to (I know, my fault) so I decided to take it to the Mobil gas station by my house. I talk to the mechanic in the shop, give him the keys and walk out. As I'm walking by the garage door, I see one of the employee's driving my car into the bay, and as he's driving it in, he scrapes my front bumper on the wall.

I go crazy on the poor fool and his boss who was originally trying to deny it while the car was still on the wall. Eventually after I regain my cool I have the chief mechanic call the owner of the gas station (Supreme Auto Group) and let them know that one of his employee's got into an accident with a customers car. However, when I told him that it would cost $500 to get the bumper resprayed he kept telling me that they would not pay $500 and would take it to one of their own shops for the repair. I just stopped by MAC today and got an estimate for the work, and I refuse to have the car taken anywhere else.

My question to you guys is, what else can I do in this situation. I called the main office today and was told the owner was out of the office and won't be back until Monday. If they file the claim through their own work insurance, what right do they have to tell me where I take the car to have it repaired???

/vent

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That shop is insured...get that insurance company involved. It will cost them so much more.
      02-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfiend View Post
That shop is insured...get that insurance company involved. It will cost them so much more.
Would they have to file the claim for me? Or can I just get the information myself and call them?

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
JTWCT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louchie View Post
Or can I just get the information myself and call them?
Just call them yourself. Don't give them more information than necessary. For example, they don't need your insurance policy number.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

jesus christ that's 500 dollars to fix!!?? that looks like it'll buff right out shit i don't blame them for not wanting to pay 500 bucks for that minor scratch. although i do understand you for getting mad.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWCT View Post
Just call them yourself. Don't give them more information than necessary. For example, they don't need your insurance policy number.
Where can I get their insurance information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
jesus christ that's 500 dollars to fix!!?? that looks like it'll buff right out shit i don't blame them for not wanting to pay 500 bucks for that minor scratch. although i do understand you for getting mad.
Picture doesn't make it look as bad as it is. It's through the clear coat and the paint is cracking under the clear.

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
bill1718
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i ///Msport

buff tht out lol doesnt look bad
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1718 View Post
buff tht out lol doesnt look bad
The paint is spider-webbed. Buffing it out will probably take a majority of the scuffing/paint transfer off, but to bring it back to 100% it needs to be resprayed...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Sucks to see this, man. Hopefully it goes over well. Given the circumstances, I too wouldn't settle for "buffing it out," or even letting that thought cross my mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Sucks to see this, man. Hopefully it goes over well. Given the circumstances, I too wouldn't settle for "buffing it out," or even letting that thought cross my mind.
Exactly. Thank you. I'm not going to settle for just having the paint buffed. Still makes me mad thinking about it

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
JTWCT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where can I get their insurance information?
Try asking them for it, I knew someone in the same shoes years ago and was given the shop's insurance info. Legally, they're liable for the damage. At the end, I'm sure their insurance will need to contact you in some way unless the shop just wants to pay you off from their pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Donny Rino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Why should he have to " buff " it out. That's sounds so stupid. They damaged his car and they should pay to have it fixed to the owner of the car satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWCT View Post
Try asking them for it, I knew someone in the same shoes years ago and was given the shop's insurance info. Legally, they're liable for the damage. At the end, I'm sure their insurance will need to contact you in some way unless the shop just wants to pay you off from their pocket.
I'm pretty sure that's what they want to do since I haven't heard anything about getting insurance involved. I just don't know if I should wait until Monday when the owner will apparently "get back to the office", or try and get the insurance information tomorrow.. Also, based on how they have been dealing with the situation I doubt they would be willing to give me the information

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
JTWCT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's what they want to do since I haven't heard anything about getting insurance involved. I just don't know if I should wait until Monday when the owner will apparently "get back to the office", or try and get the insurance information tomorrow.. Also, based on how they have been dealing with the situation I doubt they would be willing to give me the information
I was hit by a girl once. She wanted to pay out of her pocket but I got her insurance information from her as a backup. She blew me off for a few days and made an excuse. I called her insurance company and filed through them. It was a good choice at the end because her insurance provided a rental car and gave me an extra $250 for my inconvenience.

I'd get their insurance information and inform them that they must give it to you or something. Then I'd wait for the owner depending on how long your patience is. It's your call.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

so what happens if they just lie and deny it? since you have no police report, is it just your word vs theirs?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
so what happens if they just lie and deny it? since you have no police report, is it just your word vs theirs?
The guy has already admitted fault, I just don't what to do if they refuse to let me take it to a shop of my choosing.

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
The guy has already admitted fault, I just don't what to do if they refuse to let me take it to a shop of my choosing.
doesn't really matter unless he admits fault to insurance or police

can't rely on the honor system
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
JTWCT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
doesn't really matter unless he admits fault to insurance or police
True that, make sure everything is well documented.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
TwinTorque
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

call 311 and get their insurance information that way. At this point I suggest not having any more conversation with anyone who's not going to give you what you're asking for. Also, if you drive by the gas station, there should be a license posted somewhere, there should be useful information on that as well.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

I called 311 today and they told me that they can't disclose that type of information to callers. I'm thinking of going there tomorrow morning and if they don't give me the insurance information, calling and filing a police report.

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #21
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
I called 311 today and they told me that they can't disclose that type of information to callers. I'm thinking of going there tomorrow morning and if they don't give me the insurance information, calling and filing a police report.
i don't know if you can really do that, go a few days later and say they hit your car. They can easily lie and say "i don't know what hes talking about officer" and cop will just leave because police reports only work on the day/spot of the accident. I speak from experience but wish you the best of luck man.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #22
Louchie
D:
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i don't know if you can really do that, go a few days later and say they hit your car. They can easily lie and say "i don't know what hes talking about officer" and cop will just leave because police reports only work on the day/spot of the accident. I speak from experience but wish you the best of luck man.
Thanks, the way I'm reading the situation though, is not that they'll deny to pay for the repair, but will only repair it at one of their own bodyshops.. Does anyone know who has the final say in terms of what shop is used in a situation like this?

MBA Engineering PC
Appreciate 0