E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Did my first 335i Oil Change

11-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Did my first 335i Oil Change

Went off without a hitch. exactly 7qts of bmw oil. I even installed my magnetic drain plug from gold plug. My BMW oil filter wrench also worked great. Overall I'd say easy. People (the dealer) made it sound like you had to be a witch doctor to do an oil change.... what a crock. Cost me like $60. BMW oil & filter. I'll be keeping a close eye on the condition of the oil. No way I'm going 14,000 miles running at almost 250* oil temps. I'm thinking I'll be doing changes around 5k. 7.5k max.

This weekend coming up is magnetic diff plug time. I checked the lube and it looks brand new, I plan on doing a LSD hopefully within 1yr. So I'm not going to spend the money or hassle sucking out the lube and going to get more XO from the dealer. I'm just installing the magnetic plug and I'll clean/chk the magnet after a few weeks.

I have a magnetic drain plug for my manual trans also and I do need to change the lube. Gotta crawl under there and figure out which BMW fluid I need. How can BMW have so many different manual trans lubes? I have a 335i 6spd. Don't they all take the same lube in the trans?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Very nice. I went with redline atf fluid for my manual trans
      11-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

As much as I'd like to do it my self, it only costs a few dollars more to have it done at my local indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4; 2022 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Went off without a hitch. exactly 7qts of bmw oil. I even installed my magnetic drain plug from gold plug. My BMW oil filter wrench also worked great. Overall I'd say easy. People (the dealer) made it sound like you had to be a witch doctor to do an oil change.... what a crock. Cost me like $60. BMW oil & filter. I'll be keeping a close eye on the condition of the oil. No way I'm going 14,000 miles running at almost 250* oil temps. I'm thinking I'll be doing changes around 5k. 7.5k max.

This weekend coming up is magnetic diff plug time. I checked the lube and it looks brand new, I plan on doing a LSD hopefully within 1yr. So I'm not going to spend the money or hassle sucking out the lube and going to get more XO from the dealer. I'm just installing the magnetic plug and I'll clean/chk the magnet after a few weeks.

I have a magnetic drain plug for my manual trans also and I do need to change the lube. Gotta crawl under there and figure out which BMW fluid I need. How can BMW have so many different manual trans lubes? I have a 335i 6spd. Don't they all take the same lube in the trans?
My recommendation would be to use Redline MTL in the tranny, and to send a sample of your drained oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis. The lab results on the oil will help you decide how often to change it.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Cost me like $60. BMW oil & filter.
What's interesting is there's a local dealership who sends an internet coupon every month for $59.95 up to 7 qts. synthetic, M cars extra. Never tried it yet. The only one I paid for was $73 back at 1600 mi.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't care if they did it for $25. Not letting someone touch my car. period. Even my wife's Honda civic. By the time I drive to the dealer, wait, etc might as well do it myself. Not to mention I like knowing it's done correct. B/c i'd really like to know how many techs actually torque the oil filter cap and drain plugs. IIRC my dealer quoted me $150 for an oil change. Even on my mother in laws Mini Cooper it's like $150.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Sherwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SMG 335i

Quote:
I don't care if they did it for $25. Not letting someone touch my car. period. Even my wife's Honda civic. By the time I drive to the dealer, wait, etc might as well do it myself. Not to mention I like knowing it's done correct. B/c i'd really like to know how many techs actually torque the oil filter cap and drain plugs. IIRC my dealer quoted me $150 for an oil change. Even on my mother in laws Mini Cooper it's like $150.
Word! Only one person I trust to take care of my car is me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Keeping idiots out from under the hood is the first step in not having issues. Example. My old man drives a Subaru. Not exactly common in FL. The air filter is a job to get at... 10mm bolts etc just to see the filter. He's lazy, and takes it to the jiffy pop or whatever high school drop out oil change is near. they broke that air box to pieces. Dealer fixed it correctly for some change...
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0