E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Carbon Monoxide



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Carbon Monoxide

We are currently living in a rented cottage and this morning the carbon monoxide detector went off, the reading was 154. I turned off the boiler and opened the window.

A bit later I put the boiler on again and after 4 mins the detector went off again, the reading was 752! I rang the letting agents and explained what had happened.

They said they were aware that this could happen on windy days as it had happened before, it was due to the backdraft.

British Gas came and said not to use the boiler until it was checked. Now I know it's the severe wind causing the issue but surely the landlord and lettings agency are liable given they know this can and has happened.

To say I am cross is an under statement, we could have been poisoned had we not had a detector.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
335ier
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: Audi TTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: england

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
We are currently living in a rented cottage and this morning the carbon monoxide detector went off, the reading was 154. I turned off the boiler and opened the window.

A bit later I put the boiler on again and after 4 mins the detector went off again, the reading was 752! I rang the letting agents and explained what had happened.

They said they were aware that this could happen on windy days as it had happened before, it was due to the backdraft.

British Gas came and said not to use the boiler until it was checked. Now I know it's the severe wind causing the issue but surely the landlord and lettings agency are liable given they know this can and has happened.

To say I am cross is an under statement, we could have been poisoned had we not had a detector.
That 2nd reading is very high indeed!

The thing is if the appliance passes on the day it is tested, then by the regs it has passed! (Much like an MOT).
If it were me testing it with the above information in mind, I wouldn't even consider to reconnect it unless it is agreed that an approved anti down draught terminal is fitted first.

Hope all gets sorted.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
That 2nd reading is very high indeed!

The thing is if the appliance passes on the day it is tested, then by the regs it has passed! (Much like an MOT).
If it were me testing it with the above information in mind, I wouldn't even consider to reconnect it unless it is agreed that an approved anti down draught terminal is fitted first.

Hope all gets sorted.
I will look at the anti down draught terminal and discuss with the landlord. Thanks for you advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
172
Rep
9,914
Posts

Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
What sort of flue is on the appliance?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
What sort of flue is on the appliance?
Not sure. The boiler is gas and floor mounted a large round pipe goes out of the top and into the wall, I think it then goes up the chimney.

The diameter is about 250mm.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
zltm089
Banned
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
141
Rep
7,691
Posts

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
make sure you have everything in writing/ email etc....especially when you report issues with the gas/ boiler....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
kaishang
Colonel
34
Rep
2,198
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 330d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I would not accept that at all. People end up dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
Boyd1963
Major
Boyd1963's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,301
Posts

Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
+1

My wife almost died through using a gas heater in her parents holiday cottage!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Thanks guys. The landlord called round today and I advised that he should fit an anti downdraft cap or a spinner. He agreed to do whatever was necessary to fix the problem.

He also mentioned that he lived in the house for 4 years and was not aware that you could get such things.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
FiremanLU706
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ky

iTrader: (1)

I'm a professional fireman in the US & not sure if your readings are ppm or not. When we arrive at a house that has a CO monitor going off then we check it with our portable monitor & it goes off at 50ppm! We evacuate the house at 500ppm & call the Gas Co. to lock the meter out & when fixed they fix it they call the Gas Co. to check it & if if everything is good then they will unlock it. We recommend replacing the detectors every 5yrs! Are your detectors electric, battery or both? I would also have 2 in my house because CO is a silent killer!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
536
Rep
29,325
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Scary stuff Jon mate!! Hope it gets sorted soon.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
110
Rep
4,647
Posts

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Lets be honest - sounds like reason has prevailed.

'Hi, its Jon here, please fix my antibackdraftgaswangdoodle, I'm annoyed you never told me about this, naughty landlord.'

'Sorry Jon, I'll do that. My bad.'

End of thread. No? Well, maybe - but my guess is that it will take the landlord about 6 years to do it. This causes me to ask the question - WHY THE FUCK CAN'T PEOPLE JUST DO SHIT RIGHT FIRST TIME!!!!!!!?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanLU706 View Post
I'm a professional fireman in the US & not sure if your readings are ppm or not. When we arrive at a house that has a CO monitor going off then we check it with our portable monitor & it goes off at 50ppm! We evacuate the house at 500ppm & call the Gas Co. to lock the meter out & when fixed they fix it they call the Gas Co. to check it & if if everything is good then they will unlock it. We recommend replacing the detectors every 5yrs! Are your detectors electric, battery or both? I would also have 2 in my house because CO is a silent killer!
Yes it was 750ppm which is very worrying as at that level you can die after 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Scary stuff Jon mate!! Hope it gets sorted soon.
Cheers Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Lets be honest - sounds like reason has prevailed.

'Hi, its Jon here, please fix my antibackdraftgaswangdoodle, I'm annoyed you never told me about this, naughty landlord.'

'Sorry Jon, I'll do that. My bad.'

End of thread. No? Well, maybe - but my guess is that it will take the landlord about 6 years to do it. This causes me to ask the question - WHY THE FUCK CAN'T PEOPLE JUST DO SHIT RIGHT FIRST TIME!!!!!!!?

Matt
I agree I could not live with myself if my rental property had this problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

British Gas have just been and refused to take it on contract as the problem cannot be fixed. The only thing to do in his opinion is to fit a new boiler with a balanced flue.

He said if he had called yesterday when the readings were 750ppm he would have shut down the boiler and capped it off and it would not be used again.

As it is when he called today the readings were safe so in essence he advised that it was not used but insisted that it is a major health risk if weather conditions changed. He said do not leave your heating on when you go to bed just in case the weather changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
110
Rep
4,647
Posts

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Good news then that it's not your problem mate.

Tell your landlord and have him deal ASAP - if he doesn't, I'm fairly sure you can ditch your contract and bounce double time.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
briers
Ben
briers's Avatar
United Kingdom
53
Rep
1,994
Posts

Drives: Tesla p85d
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK

iTrader: (0)

F*** Jon

Glad your both ok and you had that alarm
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
335ier
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
349
Posts

Drives: Audi TTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: england

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
British Gas have just been and refused to take it on contract as the problem cannot be fixed. The only thing to do in his opinion is to fit a new boiler with a balanced flue.

He said if he had called yesterday when the readings were 750ppm he would have shut down the boiler and capped it off and it would not be used again.

As it is when he called today the readings were safe so in essence he advised that it was not used but insisted that it is a major health risk if weather conditions changed. He said do not leave your heating on when you go to bed just in case the weather changes.
British gas has done everything by the book here but to get a reading of 750ppm on a windy day isn't just a bit of a bad flame picture its completely f@*ked combustion if there isn't anything realistic they can do with the flue or terminal then you must push for the new boiler. In the between time get yourself a back up co detector install it as stated on the packet.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #18
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
What sort of flue is on the appliance?
I have found out its an open flue.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
F*** Jon

Glad your both ok and you had that alarm
Cheers!

I will always have one in every house from now on!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
British gas has done everything by the book here but to get a reading of 750ppm on a windy day isn't just a bit of a bad flame picture its completely f@*ked combustion if there isn't anything realistic they can do with the flue or terminal then you must push for the new boiler. In the between time get yourself a back up co detector install it as stated on the packet.
Thanks for the reply, I will be on to the agency first thing Monday. I will make sure that a new boiler is fitted otherwise I will take legal advice, I am not expecting any issues as the rent is being paid by a relocation agency and they are representing the UKs biggest tobacco company I cannot see their being a problem as it would not look good if one of their managers was knowingly at risk.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
536
Rep
29,325
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Your landlord needs a kick in the bowlacks!!

What a needless risk.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #22
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
948
Rep
5,681
Posts

Drives: F10 530D M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Lettings agency and landlord have agreed to fit a new boiler, surveys being carried out this week.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST