E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DP in Virginia

04-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

DP in Virginia

I went to get my emissions done for the next two year since I am going to install my DP's on Saturday... The tech told me it wont matter since when they do a saftey inspection every year they will also have to do emission and it will fail which I will be back at square one. Looks like the idea of DP's are out of the question.. so WTF is my alternative (I am not going to swap DP's out every year, its just not feasible). Catted pipes? I keep hearing they dont offer ANY GAINS... What about an exhaust upgrade? I have JB4 and I want to run map2 but now I am stuck... I freaking hate Virigina lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
platnumdesi01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Forgive my noobness...but doesn't the vishnu tune/jb4 fix that error?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
I went to get my emissions done for the next two year since I am going to install my DP's on Saturday... The tech told me it wont matter since when they do a saftey inspection every year they will also have to do emission and it will fail which I will be back at square one. Looks like the idea of DP's are out of the question.. so WTF is my alternative (I am not going to swap DP's out every year, its just not feasible). Catted pipes? I keep hearing they dont offer ANY GAINS... What about an exhaust upgrade? I have JB4 and I want to run map2 but now I am stuck... I freaking hate Virigina lol.
Step one, avoid that tech. They shouldn't be checking your emissions with safety. Catted downpipes doesn't mean zero gains. The reason people get them is for this exact reason, but doing some research will tell you that getting catted with eventually fail anyway.

"What about an exhaust upgrade".... What about it? You didn't really say anything about this after so it's hard to give you an answer to a non-question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumdesi01 View Post
Forgive my noobness...but doesn't the vishnu tune/jb4 fix that error?
Correct. There should be a dpfix already installed on the new jb tunes. If you don't already have it, BMS sells it for $80. Since Virginia is an OBDII scan, the signal gets sent to the sensors and the dpfix denies the signal and relays it back, the OBDII scanner will read ok.
      04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
Step one, avoid that tech. They shouldn't be checking your emissions with safety. Catted downpipes doesn't mean zero gains. The reason people get them is for this exact reason, but doing some research will tell you that getting catted with eventually fail anyway.

"What about an exhaust upgrade".... What about it? You didn't really say anything about this after so it's hard to give you an answer to a non-question.

Correct. There should be a dpfix already installed on the new jb tunes. If you don't already have it, BMS sells it for $80. Since Virginia is an OBDII scan, the signal gets sent to the sensors and the dpfix denies the signal and relays it back, the OBDII scanner will read ok.
Wait a second, so my JB4 will fix the code and it will pass emission? I am so freaking confused now, I keep hearing that will fix the code but you will still fail emission... I have Jb4 installed as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait a second, so my JB4 will fix the code and it will pass emission? I am so freaking confused now, I keep hearing that will fix the code but you will still fail emission... I have Jb4 installed as we speak.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The JB4 has the ability to clear the codes that you would get. But, to pass a test you need to get the dpfix for the "readiness" to read ok. If you can, search for "dpfix readiness" and the multiple threads should explain.
      04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi_zer0 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The JB4 has the ability to clear the codes that you would get. But, to pass a test you need to get the dpfix for the "readiness" to read ok. If you can, search for "dpfix readiness" and the multiple threads should explain.
Ok thanks, there are no DP fixes yet for n55... n54 yes
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
335xi_zer0
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah man, sorry didn't see you had n55. Do what my friends do (STi and 135i), bribe a tech like $50.
      04-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Pat@sonictuning
Major General
Rep
Drives: Porsche 996 Turbo

Quote:
If you can find some key to build you an o2 simulator.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
If you can find some key to build you an o2 simulator.
Please tell me more, I ll pay :-) lol
Appreciate 0