E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Glow plug replacement guide - now available

02-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Glow plug replacement guide - now available

I've written a guide from my experience this week of changing my glow plugs, you can find it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post13414875

Hope it's useful
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Fantastic Guide mate cheers! Will be doing this soon, all stats, plugs, controller, cleaning egr valve

Guide will help no end!
      02-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Thanks for the guide and taking the time to write it up - may have a bash at mine when they need doing
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Thanks for the guide and taking the time to write it up - may have a bash at mine when they need doing
You're welcome, your 335d might be a bit different, I think the engine cover is different for one. Take pics if you get chance!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I take your Glowplugs just came undone without the need to swing on them with a dirty great big breaker bar , I've had a go at mine and each and every single was seized solid .. even with half a can of plusgas applied and left over night.

I need to have another go at them at some point .. what was the thermostat like to change ?

Nice write up BTW
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Thanks for this EGR is on my list of "jobs to do when it's warm enough", so may make a morning of it and change the glow plugs and stats too. I'm on 115k and 6 years old, they must be nearing the end of their expected life anyway...
      02-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o View Post
I take your Glowplugs just came undone without the need to swing on them with a dirty great big breaker bar , I've had a go at mine and each and every single was seized solid .. even with half a can of plusgas applied and left over night.

I need to have another go at them at some point .. what was the thermostat like to change ?

Nice write up BTW
That doesn't sound good! Mine came out very easily, mine is 5 years old and 54k miles - how old is yours?

Thermostat was relatively easy, hardest bit is getting access to, and removing the EGR heat exchanger, if your glows are seized in, then the torx bolts holding the flexible connection from the heat exchanger to the exhaust manifold will probably be a nightmare!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Thanks for this EGR is on my list of "jobs to do when it's warm enough", so may make a morning of it and change the glow plugs and stats too. I'm on 115k and 6 years old, they must be nearing the end of their expected life anyway...
EuroCar Parts say glows have a life of 40-60k miles, so yours are probably ready

I'd check your temps through the hidden OBC menu to make sure you're not missing any faults that could cause DPF issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersim View Post
That doesn't sound good! Mine came out very easily, mine is 5 years old and 54k miles - how old is yours?

Thermostat was relatively easy, hardest bit is getting access to, and removing the EGR heat exchanger, if your glows are seized in, then the torx bolts holding the flexible connection from the heat exchanger to the exhaust manifold will probably be a nightmare!

Ahh ok , I think we at cross purposes , you changed the EGR thermo ? not the coolant thermo??

I had my EGR thermo changed a few months back , no issues!
It's my coolant one that needs changing .. the one that's reported to the Menu 7. ( very rarely goes over 86 .. struggled to get to 75 when we had that cold snap.

I had to ditch the attempt to change glowplugs as the risk of snapping one off was too great. Only 3 left that are functional according to codes.
Car is an '06 100k
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o View Post
Ahh ok , I think we at cross purposes , you changed the EGR thermo ? not the coolant thermo??

I had my EGR thermo changed a few months back , no issues!
It's my coolant one that needs changing .. the one that's reported to the Menu 7. ( very rarely goes over 86 .. struggled to get to 75 when we had that cold snap.

I had to ditch the attempt to change glowplugs as the risk of snapping one off was too great. Only 3 left that are functional according to codes.
Car is an '06 100k
I did all three - glow plugs, EGR stat and main stat. Main stat you still need to remove the EGR heat exchanger to get access to the stat - it's tucked underneath and behind the exchanger. It's not too bad to be fair, just a bit fiddly. Have a look at the guide shane55 wrote, it's easy to follow

With the miles on your car, you will probably find the EGR heat exchanger will be a pig to remove though (to change the EGR stat you don't need to remove it, only for the main stat)

None of that really makes sense until you start the job, sorry
Appreciate 0