E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2 leaks, coolant and oil

12-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Bwood Bmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

2 leaks, coolant and oil

I have a 2006 BMW 330i with 155k miles. I have 2 issues with low level indicators. Please see pics, I'm having trouble determining what is what without a schematic of parts.

The oil And coolant light came on this morning. Upon opening the hood, I noticed oil on the metal under black cap and down my engine block and on belt. I cleaned up but you can still see some of it. Question is, what is this and what could cause leak. Any remedies?

Next I looked at hoses for coolant and noticed as you see in pic what looks to be coolant coming from a sensor of some kind.

I'm looking for any sort of schematic that details the parts on the engine as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Well you can rule out a gasket cause that looks clean. Metal shaving might not be a good thing but my guess is that there is a crack in the oil filter housing itself

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Both of those look like oil to me, maybe from bad O-ring at the filter housing cap if that is what that big black cap is. Not familiar with 330's. Unscrew that cap and look for the o-ring gasket under the rim.

But check coolant level to see if it is actually low, the oil on the sensor connector may have produced a short. Also you'll smell coolant leaks, or if it's enough to trigger low warning by leaking you'll smell. Odd and unlikely coincidence for both fluids to go low at the same time but who knows.
Appreciate 0