E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Do Angel Eyes and Foglights share same power supply?

03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Do Angel Eyes and Foglights share same power supply?

Hopefully someone can answer this and it isn't too confusing...

Do the angel eyes and foglights work in the same circuit? I'm no electrician, but when I had AngeliBrights for my angel eyes, the driver burned out in them twice in a row, in two separate pairs. The second pair even had a beefier driver component. The driver (little black box connected to the Angel eye) actually MELTED.

I was wondering if my Alumina HID foglights could have caused this shortage...even that makes any sense at all. I was wondering if they utilized the same power supply or if they were in the same circuit.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Each 12v hot lead should have it's own fuse and lead wire. But 12v is pretty easy so many 3rd party harnesses piggyback off of other 12v leads to get power for accessories.

To answer your Q, I don't think so. What's happening with the melting is that I think the components on the Angelibrights have too high of a resistance, resistance=heat and therefore unsoldered the components and or had the heat sink separate because of excessive heat.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and hope it helped ya.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DDub View Post
Each 12v hot lead should have it's own fuse and lead wire. But 12v is pretty easy so many 3rd party harnesses piggyback off of other 12v leads to get power for accessories.

To answer your Q, I don't think so. What's happening with the melting is that I think the components on the Angelibrights have too high of a resistance, resistance=heat and therefore unsoldered the components and or had the heat sink separate because of excessive heat.

Hope this wasn't too confusing and hope it helped ya.
Thank you. So are you essentially saying that the melting is more of an issue with the Angelibright device itself or an incompatibility issue with my car in particular?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Thank you. So are you essentially saying that the melting is more of an issue with the Angelibright device itself or an incompatibility issue with my car in particular?
That's a tough one since I don't have any experience with Angelibright product. But let's put it this way, the heat was caused by a component on the angelibright. Car's don't push out anymore than 16 or 17v max and all car electronics are designed and should be able to take the voltage range from 9-15v. Even if your car was pushing 16v to the AEs, it shouldn't have melted the heatsink from the device.
Appreciate 0