E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d, checks after ABC's and Service?

03-17-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
moz335d
makes poor financial decisions
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d & 35D

335d, checks after ABC's and Service?

Hello,

So I have just the FAI Damper, waterpump/thermostat, and throwing the manifold back on prior to getting my 335d running this weekend.

Just finished the downpipe install, VCG, glowplugs, new vac lines, clutched alternator pulley, etc. Basically went by tunemyeuro's (Andrews) 100k mile service kit and replaced everything critical, feel a lot better knowing that everything has been gone through.

Bleed Fuel: Plan is crank the car for a few seconds with all the injection lines loose at the injector, tighten the lines once there is a near-steady flow. - Should be easy, used to doing this on other diesels.

Bleed Coolant: This I don't know, I have seen some manuals referencing a bleeder on the coolant reservoir itself, but is there a guide / reference for bleeding it correctly?

Is there anything else I need to check prior to driving again? Just want a quick sanity check / second look before I end up breaking something expensive.

Cheers.

Last edited by moz335d; 03-17-2022 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #2
moz335d
makes poor financial decisions
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d & 35D

For anyone else wondering, I did manage to figure out how to bleed the system. I did make a little mess but basically when you do this make sure you have extra bleeder screws, mine broke on me and sent coolant everywhere.

To bleed it, and this is how I did it, while the car was cold, I cracked the breather open, ensuring that there was plenty of coolant in the reservoir. Then I started and idled the engine, as the car got up to temp there was bubbles (air) purging out from the bleed screw, I waited till this became a steady stream and repeated the process twice. No more air and coolant temps are stable!

The second time I tightened it down it snapped, I would not do this when its hot, I would let it cool and then tighten.

Again, if anyone has / knows where to find the official instructions for the coolant bleed procedure specific to 335d's (No electric water pump) that would be nice to have in future.

To my suprise, O'rileys had the URO brass bleeder screw, which for $7 got me back on the road. # 17111712788PRM

Dorman also offers a pair of plastic replacments # 902-404
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:37 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Fill. Idle. Interior temp to 84. Let idle. Top off. Rev to 2k for a bit. Watch flow and retop OR the quickest and most approved bmw way is to use a cooling system bleeding tool.
Appreciate 1