E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > No Bilstein B8's to be had at FCP Euro

05-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Ginobass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Coupe

No Bilstein B8's to be had at FCP Euro

Last year the dealer at my annual state inspection told me my passenger front strut was leaking. I have a 2010 328i coupe with 63K on the odo, so I figured after I got my car out of storage for the winter (last week!! winter would NOT leave this year) I'd get some Bilstein B8s (since I have the M-sport suspension) all around, struts and shocks and install them.

Wanted to go with FCP Euro because of their lifetime warranty, went to buy and they're out of stock, no ETA. None at Bavauto.

Any suggestions? Wait it out for the FCP B8's? Go with B4's? Something else?

No idea when the B8s will be available, I won't drive the car with a bum strut.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439528
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Ginobass
Private
Rep

Thanks for the link.

Looks like I'm SOL for B8's.

If anyone has a recommendation for something similar, I'd be open to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Koni yellows
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginobass View Post
Thanks for the link.

I went with Koni Yellows after waiting since August of last year for the B12 kit. They seem great so far, plus can be used with OEM or lowering springs, and they are adjustable. Seemed like a great option as I wasn't sure I if being lowered would be a problem in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginobass View Post
Thanks for the link.

I went with Koni Yellows after waiting since August of last year for the B12 kit. They seem great so far, plus can be used with OEM or lowering springs, and they are adjustable. Seemed like a great option as I wasn't sure I if being lowered would be a problem in the winter.
What springs did you go with? And what setting on the koni?
I'm in the same boat, finally ready for new dampers and settled on a b12 kit but none to be found. Doesn't help that my rear shock is leaking. Ugh.
      05-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #7
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

No bilsteins anywhere period. I had ordered b14’s a few weeks ago thinking they’d ship quickly, turns out they are having supply chain/manufacturing issue and was told would likely be 2019... ended up splurging on Öhlins Road and Track setup and am very happy.
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      05-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #8
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
No bilsteins anywhere period. I had ordered b14’s a few weeks ago thinking they’d ship quickly, turns out they are having supply chain/manufacturing issue and was told would likely be 2019... ended up splurging on Öhlins Road and Track setup and am very happy.
That's the first I've heard of a 2019 date. I hope that isn't true... also hard to believe that Bilstein would have issues for that long. I know they supposedly switched factories and etc but to go a year without making anything is corporate suicide.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
I'd gladly buy a set of R&T if they were available for the xdrive. Evaluating alternatives, I selected Koni FSD's but they're not available due to a product transition. I also considered Koni Sports as they're my go-to, but after a bad experience with my last set, I'm not ready to buy another set without trying something else first.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Go Koni. Bilstein has had production issues since as far back as Oct 2017 with no realistic ETA's.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

I was able to get a set shipped to me for Black Friday last year, yet to install (will be soon) hope I dont have any issues haha
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #12
r4dr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Go Koni. Bilstein has had production issues since as far back as Oct 2017 with no realistic ETA's.
I placed an order for a B12 kit for a RWD E91 on April 3, and I just called the vendor for updates. Their info was an August 2018 ETA... I knew it would be a few weeks, but that's a bit much for me.

Guess I'm going either Konis, B4s (if they're in stock somewhere, no backorder BS) or Ohlins R&T (splurge).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

They opened up their new factory in Bowling Green.

Maybe the Bowling Green massacre is actually true, and Bilstein has never truly recovered from it.

Never forget.
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia502.50
Thorin117.50
      05-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Ginobass
Private
Rep

Since the B8s are out, I not sure I want the Koni Yellow Sports, I'm not comfortable with having to adjust them. Really don't need that level of flexibility for a pleasure vehicle/occasional commute anyway.

So I thought, ok, how about Koni FSDs? No adjustments, good reviews here and elsewhere, less $$ than the B8s, a little more than the Yellows........

No one has those either!!! Nearest ETA was end of June. WTH.

I can get some B4s but those are pretty much stock, right? I was hoping for a little bit of an upgrade.

Dang it all.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

I went with the BMW Performance Suspension after scouring the continent for a B12 kit. I can't compare it to the B12 kit but I came from the Standard Suspension and I am so so happy every time I drive the car.
      05-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Coupe

I got lucky, according to Bimmerworld I got the last pair of B8 Front Struts out there. (this was a month or two ago)
I had purchased the rears about 5 mos ago and was assembling the rest of the suspension upgrades.
I noticed on Tire Rack that the Front Struts were going on Back Order so I called Bimmerworld to see what they had. They Had One so asked if they could find the other side, they called around and found the last one available and were able to complete the pair so that I could buy them. Good thing I was paying attention!!!
Just installed the Rears with BMW Performance Springs, M3 Rear Arms and Bimmerworld Adjustable Toe Arms and it made a huge difference in the way the rear tracks now.
Can't wait to get the Front installed this next weekend with M3 Control Arms to complete the Suspension Refresh!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot-335is View Post
I got lucky, according to Bimmerworld I got the last pair of B8 Front Struts out there. (this was a month or two ago)
I had purchased the rears about 5 mos ago and was assembling the rest of the suspension upgrades.
I noticed on Tire Rack that the Front Struts were going on Back Order so I called Bimmerworld to see what they had. They Had One so asked if they could find the other side, they called around and found the last one available and were able to complete the pair so that I could buy them. Good thing I was paying attention!!!
Just installed the Rears with BMW Performance Springs, M3 Rear Arms and Bimmerworld Adjustable Toe Arms and it made a huge difference in the way the rear tracks now.
Can't wait to get the Front installed this next weekend with M3 Control Arms to complete the Suspension Refresh!
You doing the install yourself? We'll have pretty much the exact same setup as I've got B8, bmw yellow and 11 piece M3 arms. Just worried bout using spring compressors by myself is all..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #18
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
You doing the install yourself? We'll have pretty much the exact same setup as I've got B8, bmw yellow and 11 piece M3 arms. Just worried bout using spring compressors by myself is all..
Yep, all by myself. Spent Last weekend doing the Rears, will spend next Tuesday doing Fronts.
I used the Strut Spring Compressor from Advance Auto, sat it on my floor in the living room and did them, LOL. Still need to torque down the top nut, I bought a O2 socket that I am going to thin down to fit into Mounts to finish torquing them. You can run it all the way into the top of the nut without it so it is still safe when you take the compressor off of them.

Take your time, I did, No hurry at all. Working by yourself with the car on jack stands can be dangerous so just be safe and take your time.
When it comes to the rear arms, when installing the M3 Arms start the bolt at the hub end first with a couple of turns then position the arm on the rear subframe and slide the bolt through it, then come back and tighten them.
I did adjustable rear toe arms and they are the sh*t!.
Rear stays very straight now on acceleration. Squat is almost gone, I suspect when I do the fronts the squat will be all gone as my shocks were very tired. Rear has settled a little more each day as it did with my sedan when I had it.

I'm really considering trimming the strut clevis before installing the fronts because IIRC the fronts are still a little high even after settling. I could come back and do it but we will see.
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #19
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot-335is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Yep, all by myself. Spent Last weekend doing the Rears, will spend next Tuesday doing Fronts.
I used the Strut Spring Compressor from Advance Auto, sat it on my floor in the living room and did them, LOL. Still need to torque down the top nut, I bought a O2 socket that I am going to thin down to fit into Mounts to finish torquing them. You can run it all the way into the top of the nut without it so it is still safe when you take the compressor off of them.

Take your time, I did, No hurry at all. Working by yourself with the car on jack stands can be dangerous so just be safe and take your time.
When it comes to the rear arms, when installing the M3 Arms start the bolt at the hub end first with a couple of turns then position the arm on the rear subframe and slide the bolt through it, then come back and tighten them.
I did adjustable rear toe arms and they are the sh*t!.
Rear stays very straight now on acceleration. Squat is almost gone, I suspect when I do the fronts the squat will be all gone as my shocks were very tired. Rear has settled a little more each day as it did with my sedan when I had it.

I'm really considering trimming the strut clevis before installing the fronts because IIRC the fronts are still a little high even after settling. I could come back and do it but we will see.
Which rear toe arms did you go with?
      05-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #20
Barefoot-335is
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Which rear toe arms did you go with?
Bimmerworlds, I've met James Clay and they race BMW's exclusively and figured that theirs would be a good bet.
Appreciate 1
Jklad421.00
      05-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
That's very VERY unfortunate. I love the B8's & still looking for a rear set to complete my rear 335i upgrade to the E9X M3 version...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0