E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear control arm, mounting specifically, question

05-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

I have a 07 328xi e92. 1st pic will be rear left, 2nd pic is the rear right. Sorry for the quality but I didn't jack it up. I went for an alignment and was told they couldn't do it cause a bolt was stuck, which may be possible as they're original however not long ago I did the suspension and hand no issues. When I did kw's I replaced mostly all of the hardware as you can see all the bolts look new except for one. They said they could use, but didn't want to, heat cause it would mess up the bushings. Well looks like heat was used on one bolt cause it's very discolored unlike all of the rest. Next is my really important question. The 1st pic, red circled part with the grey substance on it. Shouldn't there be a bolt sticking out of the back side of the control arm mounting spot with a washer and bolt on it? If anyone has the same car, please post pics so I can compare. My Bentley manual shows a bolt and nut on the backside like the 2nd pic, rear right has. Sorry if I was confusing. Help greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Yep that looks messed up for sure. Did they heat it up and try pounding it out or???

What’s the other side of that “bolt” look like?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

That doesn't look like proper eccentric alignment bolt at all. Remove it and install correct new. Applying heat won't damage the bushing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

That looks totally fubar'd. I would guess that that bolt isn't moving anywhere soon, but it sure would suck if it fell out.

Is that bolt head been ground down? And has the locating tabs for the eccentric bolt been ground/damaged? If so you might have troubles getting a proper alignment. Seems like an excellent excuse for an adjustable toe arm upgrade! And since your upgrading those you might as well....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
That looks totally fubar'd. I would guess that that bolt isn't moving anywhere soon, but it sure would suck if it fell out.

Is that bolt head been ground down? And has the locating tabs for the eccentric bolt been ground/damaged? If so you might have troubles getting a proper alignment. Seems like an excellent excuse for an adjustable toe arm upgrade! And since your upgrading those you might as well....
I don't know what the hell they did. Snapped it off, ground it down thinking they'd replace it but they surely screwed it up good. I'm thinking I may have to cut the arm near its end so I can separate it in 2 pieces then deal with getting the bolt out. New arm then I'm good. Not exactly sure if I should be repacking just the one, both uppers, whole left side or both sides but I'll figure that out after I find a way to hold these morons accountable. I turn all my own wrenches, I hate I can't align my own car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
I don't know what the hell they did. Snapped it off, ground it down thinking they'd replace it but they surely screwed it up good. I'm thinking I may have to cut the arm near its end so I can separate it in 2 pieces then deal with getting the bolt out. New arm then I'm good. Not exactly sure if I should be repacking just the one, both uppers, whole left side or both sides but I'll figure that out after I find a way to hold these morons accountable. I turn all my own wrenches, I hate I can't align my own car.
You can align your car. I’ve been aligning mine it’s not hard but it’s time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
You can align your car. I’ve been aligning mine it’s not hard but it’s time consuming.
I'll have to look into that.
Appreciate 0