Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Which RE050A RFT?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Northern335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xdrive sedan

Which RE050A RFT?

I have a 335i sedan, sport package, that came stock with RE050A RFTs. The rear tires (255/35R18) need replacing and I've been searching TireRack for them. Unfortunately, 3 different models come up. There's an RE050A RFT and two types of RE050A I RFTs; the latter has a Y and W option, and different UTQG numbers. What's the difference between the models? Why is the traction grade on the W version of the I better (AA) than the Y (A)? Which of the W rated tires should I be buying? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Northern335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xdrive sedan

Follow-up from Tire Rack

I emailed this question to Gary at Tire Rack and this is the reply I got:

According to our database, the original equipment version that would match the front tires would be the W speed rated version 140 A A. Bridgestone has technical notes for the newer 140 AA A version that states that they are not to be mixed with the older version of the tire. Unfortunately Bridgestone doesn't tell us the exact differences between them but my best guess would be a difference in the rubber compound that allowed the tire to score higher in the wet braking test (this is what the A and AA refer to). I would also guess that because the tires have different compounds, Bridgestone does not recommend mixing them.

The higher speed rated Y version would also not be recommended to mix with the original W rated version up front.

To put it simply, get the 140 A A version to match the original front tires. If you're replacing all four and can wait for the newer version you could get those instead.
Appreciate 0