E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Read too many threads? Lost choosing Suspension....

04-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A dream

Read too many threads? Lost choosing Suspension....

Hello fellow e90's.... I purchased an e90 335i from a member on the board and have been loving it since! He took care of a lot of the performance parts on the car, and started working on the suspension, but I would like to finish it up. I'm not 100% sure all the things that he had already installed. He couldn't remember all that he had done. Pretty sure there are upgraded sway bars and bushings, but I don't think anything else.

I enjoy spirited sprints on the highway and a little bit on the twisty's, but have ZERO plans of tracking the car.

Knowing this, what would you do for the suspension? I do plan to get wheels at some point and go the widest I can, but other than that, I don't have any more plans for the vehicle.

Thanks for any guidance and insight and hope I don't catch any

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #2
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

I think we need more info on what you are looking to get out of your suspension. Do you want to slam it, improve ride quality, or looking for a sporty upgrade?
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

^+budget
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post
Hello fellow e90's.... I purchased an e90 335i from a member on the board and have been loving it since! He took care of a lot of the performance parts on the car, and started working on the suspension, but I would like to finish it up. I'm not 100% sure all the things that he had already installed. He couldn't remember all that he had done. Pretty sure there are upgraded sway bars and bushings, but I don't think anything else.

I enjoy spirited sprints on the highway and a little bit on the twisty's, but have ZERO plans of tracking the car.

Knowing this, what would you do for the suspension? I do plan to get wheels at some point and go the widest I can, but other than that, I don't have any more plans for the vehicle.

I also completely upgraded my e90 pre-lci 335i sport suspension to M3 suspension bits front and rear, including M3 sway bars, and rear subframe bushings to stop the wiggling from acceleration resulting from my COBB tune, even with my Quaife diff. This is in addition to StopTech brake rotors and pads in anticipation of the higher performance.

Pre-suspension upgrade--on sport suspension:

I got Ground Control coilovers installed on my e90 335i with Koni struts and shocks tuned to Eibach linear springs at 440# front/800# rear. I also installed M3 suspension bits front and back, including an M3 strut tower brace to tighten the chassis. The GC sales consultant worked with me on what I wanted out of a daily driver/very occasional track car in terms of handling and budget, giving me terrific advice on optimizing the DD experience without any harshness or NVH, knowing that I could take it to the track with supreme confidence.

Amazingly, the ride is surprisingly smooth and comfortable over a variety of road conditions, considering the high spring rates, because the tuned Koni shocks/struts work well in tandem with the stiffer springs to produce such a pleasing ride that even my wife loves to drive it, and she's no slouch when it comes to driving fast.

The tuned shocks soak up the bumps, yet will allow me to enter long sweepers and on/off ramps at speeds much higher than I could with my old suspension, with absolutely none to little lean, because the suspension inspires higher driving confidence due to the car feeling so planted... like an M3! LOL

If your ultimate goal is to have the best of both worlds (DD/track), then you should consider this reasonably priced setup. GC offers warranties on what they sell, so you really can't go wrong.

I have this on my ride:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=903/CA=172

You could also get this if you already have M3 control arms:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=809/CA=172

This is what my ride looks like on GC coilovers:

They are good for street and BMWCCA-sponsored HPDE (High Performance Driver Education). I went to Summit Point in West VA and drove the Jefferson Circuit before I upgraded the suspension. It was there I realized that the sport suspension was not sufficient to get around the track in a spirited manner.

I also got a Quaife ATB differential for real LSD capability.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks fellas! I'm worried about it handling better first and foremost. If it lowers I'm definitely ok with that, though I don't mind it's current stance. I like the ride quality as is, so can't imagine it would get any worse with an upgrade in parts.

Budget, I believe in doing it right the first time, so how does $1500-$2000 sound?

Do all M3 parts transfer onto the e90 from the same generational years? I'd like to do it all in one install. No sense in removing a part three times to replace it on the fourth removal.

Thanks for that example, I will def look into it. The big names get cast out a lot, KW, ST, Ohlins.... I'll look into ground control....

If it helps, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, about 480RWHP, and I confirmed the hotchkis sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Thanks fellas! I'm worried about it handling better first and foremost. If it lowers I'm definitely ok with that, though I don't mind it's current stance. I like the ride quality as is, so can't imagine it would get any worse with an upgrade in parts.

Budget, I believe in doing it right the first time, so how does $1500-$2000 sound?

Do all M3 parts transfer onto the e90 from the same generational years? I'd like to do it all in one install. No sense in removing a part three times to replace it on the fourth removal.

Thanks for that example, I will def look into it. The big names get cast out a lot, KW, ST, Ohlins.... I'll look into ground control....

If it helps, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, about 480RWHP, and I confirmed the hotchkis sway bars.
The handling and ride quality are significantly improved with just the additional upgraded shocks. Bilstein or Koni to name a few.

There are so many ways to improve your suspension. Some may be necessary to some but to others it won't be worth it.

I can give you a million things to get or just say start with shocks or a proven coilover system.

I've personally had KW V1 and V2. No complaints with either and despite a sporty feel the ride quality in my opinion is better then stock. My passengers also agree.

Stock shocks are just too bouncy so that's definitely a place to start.

Upgraded Bushings and M3 bits are always sought after too for more improvement and getting rid of slop of worn and soft stock bushings.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #7
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Jeff!

It seems like KW V1's get a lot of credit for being a great, you know what you are getting, option. I may just stay with something tried and true.

As far as the M3 bits are concerned, which pieces are we talking? Full out board suspension parts. ie control arms, spindles, yada yada? Or just some certain things?

Thanks so much for your insight and time! It is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure all the things that he had already installed. He couldn't remember all that he had done. Pretty sure there are upgraded sway bars and bushings, but I don't think anything else.

Whelp, you're my kinda guy - [click here] for what's possible; have a look under your ride....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

WTFFFFFFF. How is that not a sticky! Beautiful write up and invaluable! Thanks so much!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
WTFFFFFFF. How is that not a sticky! Beautiful write up and invaluable! Thanks so much!!
A post about a guy that had a set of GC coilovers and an LSD installed should be stickied?

There's only hundreds, if not thousands, of others who've done the same thing. And posted about the improvements. Happens literally every day.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
A post about a guy that had a set of GC coilovers and an LSD installed should be stickied?

There's only hundreds, if not thousands, of others who've done the same thing. And posted about the improvements. Happens literally every day.
I think joeybutts was referring to CALWATERBOY not flip4335 write up.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I think joeybutts was referring to CALWATERBOY not flip4335 write up.

Well I'm an idiot.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Whelp, you're my kinda guy - [click here] for what's possible; have a look under your ride....
CALWATERBOY, reading your post was the inspiration for my going with GC coilovers, as I was struggling with choices on the other brands.

After reading your post, I wanted to also have the experience that you described with GC.

Thanks, for your inspirational post and for sharing it with the rest of us!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
I just can't say it before CalWB. I'm just not quick enough. 🌪 Lol Just listen to Cal and it will be A++++ OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #15
flip4335
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is the original post that influenced both CALWB and me (through CALWB):

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330347

Both CALWB and Speediance are great reads for those interested in better suspensions and handling characteristics. I forgot GC was in Cali.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Just went through this whole process. My car is nearing 100k and needed an overhaul, plus potholes...

I started with M3 control arms, front and partial rear. All compatible parts, very worth it. Turn initiation is much more firm.

I went with KW V2s, cannot go wrong with KWs, i need the stainless steel aspect as well, since i go through 4 seasons.The V2s over V1, because damping adjust-ability is worth it. Sporty ride, yet surprisingly comfortable, KW has some of the best valve technology imo. Upgraded all shock mounts as well.

For now this is PLENTY enough for my everyday DD.

....Still a tiny bit of lean/roll hesitation prior to turn initiation, but subframe bushings/sways will solve that immediately. But also a pita to install.

When you do install, do it all at once, every component you change, you need an alignment.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)

Last edited by Lshaw; 04-07-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #17
joeybutts
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Lshaw! I plan on doing it all in one hit. Some great stuff here guys. Really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0