E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > * The Official: San Diego Chat Thread (#4) *

04-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #947
smares21
Banned
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
shu buy?
OEM style lip spoiler and ACS style roof spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #948
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

Whats up..just moved back to SD this month..look forward to meeting you guys
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #949
byoung8
Legendary
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collanrf View Post
Where's the next meet?
I received an event invite to the San Marcos In N Out meet for Saturday at 7pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/191059944378907/

'07 335i E90 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #950
RollinOnDeez
Private
Rep
Drives: Graphite on Coral

Waddup all my car is seriously screwed any suggestions?

After driving home from work and parking on the flat driveway and changing, I hopped back into my car and threw it in reverse, slowly I am backing up and a second later the front right of my car raises and then literally drops (steering wheel turns too) and scrapes the front end and wheel well, I can't even drive it because it's on the ground.

2008 335 Coupe dropped on HR Sports on stock struts with 54k mileage. Now I know my shocks are pretty much done because I am bouncing all around, I was looking at coilovers when this just happened.

Would a blown shock do this? I hit a pot hole on the way home from work but the car was driving fine. The car is under CPO warranty for another year, but could the steering be bent? Would the stealership cover it if I had it towed??

I can't drive the car, if anyone is local with a jack and tools to pull off the wheel and knows suspension I will take care of you, I am in Pacific Beach, I may have to get the car flat bed'd to BMW of SD off 163 in Kearny Mesa..

Any advice would help too in regards to a dealership covering suspension/steering related issues like this under CPO warranty with dropped springs, thank you in advance....

Dennis
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #951
smares21
Banned
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinOnDeez View Post
Waddup all my car is seriously screwed any suggestions?

After driving home from work and parking on the flat driveway and changing, I hopped back into my car and threw it in reverse, slowly I am backing up and a second later the front right of my car raises and then literally drops (steering wheel turns too) and scrapes the front end and wheel well, I can't even drive it because it's on the ground.

2008 335 Coupe dropped on HR Sports on stock struts with 54k mileage. Now I know my shocks are pretty much done because I am bouncing all around, I was looking at coilovers when this just happened.

Would a blown shock do this? I hit a pot hole on the way home from work but the car was driving fine. The car is under CPO warranty for another year, but could the steering be bent? Would the stealership cover it if I had it towed??

I can't drive the car, if anyone is local with a jack and tools to pull off the wheel and knows suspension I will take care of you, I am in Pacific Beach, I may have to get the car flat bed'd to BMW of SD off 163 in Kearny Mesa..

Any advice would help too in regards to a dealership covering suspension/steering related issues like this under CPO warranty with dropped springs, thank you in advance....

Dennis
Swap back to OEM springs. Even if you pay $200 for a shop to do it, better than the ass raping you will take on any issues at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #952
RollinOnDeez
Private
Rep
Drives: Graphite on Coral

Broken lower control arm, unbelieveable. Damn thing snapped like a twig. Top arm looks bent, hope there isn't any other damage. man.....my luck

Any mobile mechanics out there want to make some cash? Im looking online and see pricing for parts, but I wonder how much the dealership is going to markup because I need a car. Im in PB...give me a holler if anyone is interested or has any advice!

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by RollinOnDeez; 04-27-2013 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: add content
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #953
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i / 2005 C55

Mod friendly dealerships and aftermarket warranties vs. BMW CPO warranties

Thought I'd post this here too since the SD guys read this thread:

Mod friendly dealerships and Aftermarket vs. BMW CPO warranties

Greetings everyone,

I’m moving to San Diego in June. Can anyone recommend a dealership in the area or even a specific service advisor? I’m especially hoping to find a dealership and/or service advisor that is chill about minor modifications.

I DO NOT have a BMW certified warranty. I have an aftermarket warranty and so far they have been great.

My previous car (Benz SL600) had software, exhaust, suspension, and some custom programming mods. The service advisor knew about the mods for sure and I have a hunch some of the techs did as well as we had some funny conversations that tipped toed around the subject when we discussed problems and repairs. Yet it was never an issue.

Of course, the fact that I handed out Bevmo gift cards to my service advisor and the techs every now and then may have helped. : ) I used to work for a dealer and I know it can be a pain juggling asshole clients and dealership politics. I know the importance of having the tech and service advisor on your side.

My 335i, has pretty much the same mods: software, exhaust mods, and intercooler.

I specifically got an aftermarket warranty for the fact that it seems like with an aftermarket warranty, it is YOU and the DEALER VS. the Warranty Company.

With a BMW CPO warranty I feel like it is YOU VS. the DEALER and BMW NA.

I make this statement not just regarding the horror stories of BMW voiding warranties for mods. I’ve seen lots of cases where BMW has tried to void warranties or specific repairs because they felt the owners abused the car or felt like they could blame the part failure on something ridiculous and not covered under warranty.

-I had a buddy blow up his engine on his e46 and BMW claimed it was because he was driving too hard. He had to fight with BMW NA to get it covered.

-Another friend had his fan clutch explode (common issue as we all know) and BMW had the audacity to blame it on a rock that was small enough to pass through the radiator, but big enough to shatter the fan and destroy half the stuff in his engine bay.

-Yet another friend took in his car for a seat motor repair and caught the dealership telling him that the repair was not covered under warranty when in face they already had gotten the repair covered from BMW NA (the dealer was trying to “double dip”)

Additionally, when I looked at aftermarket warranties, most spell out very clearly what is covered and what is not covered. The last time I looked at a BMW CPO car, the dealer could not tell me what the CPO warranty actually covered. They were very ambiguous and at the time, I couldn’t find anything in writing online. I’m not sure if the dealer was just retarded and I didn’t look hard enough or if it is just BMW NA’s way to cover/deny whatever they want. (sketchy)

Anyway, any recommendations on a dealer in the San Diego area (and a specific service advisor who is chill if possible) are appreciated.

I’d also like to hear your thoughts on my theory of aftermarket warranties vs BMW CPO warranties.
2004 SL600 - Sold
1999 540i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #954
deluxe 247
Shake and Bake
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasbmw View Post
Thought I'd post this here too since the SD guys read this thread:

Mod friendly dealerships and Aftermarket vs. BMW CPO warranties

Greetings everyone,

I’m moving to San Diego in June. Can anyone recommend a dealership in the area or even a specific service advisor? I’m especially hoping to find a dealership and/or service advisor that is chill about minor modifications.

I DO NOT have a BMW certified warranty. I have an aftermarket warranty and so far they have been great.

My previous car (Benz SL600) had software, exhaust, suspension, and some custom programming mods. The service advisor knew about the mods for sure and I have a hunch some of the techs did as well as we had some funny conversations that tipped toed around the subject when we discussed problems and repairs. Yet it was never an issue.

Of course, the fact that I handed out Bevmo gift cards to my service advisor and the techs every now and then may have helped. : ) I used to work for a dealer and I know it can be a pain juggling asshole clients and dealership politics. I know the importance of having the tech and service advisor on your side.

My 335i, has pretty much the same mods: software, exhaust mods, and intercooler.

I specifically got an aftermarket warranty for the fact that it seems like with an aftermarket warranty, it is YOU and the DEALER VS. the Warranty Company.

With a BMW CPO warranty I feel like it is YOU VS. the DEALER and BMW NA.

I make this statement not just regarding the horror stories of BMW voiding warranties for mods. I’ve seen lots of cases where BMW has tried to void warranties or specific repairs because they felt the owners abused the car or felt like they could blame the part failure on something ridiculous and not covered under warranty.

-I had a buddy blow up his engine on his e46 and BMW claimed it was because he was driving too hard. He had to fight with BMW NA to get it covered.

-Another friend had his fan clutch explode (common issue as we all know) and BMW had the audacity to blame it on a rock that was small enough to pass through the radiator, but big enough to shatter the fan and destroy half the stuff in his engine bay.

-Yet another friend took in his car for a seat motor repair and caught the dealership telling him that the repair was not covered under warranty when in face they already had gotten the repair covered from BMW NA (the dealer was trying to “double dip”)

Additionally, when I looked at aftermarket warranties, most spell out very clearly what is covered and what is not covered. The last time I looked at a BMW CPO car, the dealer could not tell me what the CPO warranty actually covered. They were very ambiguous and at the time, I couldn’t find anything in writing online. I’m not sure if the dealer was just retarded and I didn’t look hard enough or if it is just BMW NA’s way to cover/deny whatever they want. (sketchy)

Anyway, any recommendations on a dealer in the San Diego area (and a specific service advisor who is chill if possible) are appreciated.

I’d also like to hear your thoughts on my theory of aftermarket warranties vs BMW CPO warranties.
bmw of vista, Natasha or Brian
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #955
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe 247 View Post
bmw of vista, Natasha or Brian
Damn, that's the furthest one from me.

Are BMW of San Diego in Kearney Mesa (closest) and BMW of South County in El Cajon bad?
2004 SL600 - Sold
1999 540i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #956
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Quote:

Are BMW of San Diego in Kearney Mesa (closest) and BMW of South County in El Cajon bad?
Do not go to SD...south county is good, Natasha used to work there. I have to find a new SA though but the master mechanic you need to ask for is Nick Owen. He knows his shit...and he's the president of BMW CCA SD
      04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #957
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do not go to SD...south county is good, Natasha used to work there. I have to find a new SA though but the master mechanic you need to ask for is Nick Owen. He knows his shit...and he's the president of BMW CCA SD
Great info, thanks.

Figures that the best centrally located dealer is the one that lacks on customer service.
2004 SL600 - Sold
1999 540i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #958
jackson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

BMW SD sucks. South County ask for Dan.

Quote:
Nick moved up, he is now a BMWCCA Pacific Region officer
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #959
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson29 View Post
BMW SD sucks. South County ask for Dan.

Nick moved up, he is now a BMWCCA Pacific Region officer
That's right...that was recent too, I just demoted his ass
      04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #960
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Updating my original post with some updated prices:

$180 - Asus 3GB GTX660 PCIe (used for maybe a week)
$200 - 27" Acer LED Monitor S271HL (has about 2 weeks worth of use, pretty much brand new)
$60 - Logitech Z506 5.1 Speaker System - (used for about 2 weeks)
$260 - Logitech Z906 5.1 Speaker System (used for 3-4 days) These are RMS 500W, and they are awesome. Look them up, because they can be used for other purposes.

$400 - iPad 3 16GB WiFi Only (like new)
$800 - Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD (no dead pixels, no leaking, 2560x1600 native resolution...awesome monitor all around)
$500 - Sony PCG-6W1L Laptop - C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz, 3GB RAM. 250GB HD. GF 8400M 1GB
$600 - Alienware M11x Laptop - U7300 @ 1.73GHz, 8GB RAM, 250GB HD, GF 335M 2GB (does anything I've put in front of it. It games very well)

$175 - Sony DAV-DZ170 Home Theater Audio System (used for 2 months, in perfect condition)
$60 - Sony SRS-GU10iP iPhone/iPod Dock

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #961
byoung8
Legendary
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 TiAg

Quote:
Great info, thanks.

Figures that the best centrally located dealer is the one that lacks on customer service.
I took my car to BMW Encinitas and they didnt ask. Just wrote some stuff on my checklist. Extended maintenance warranty covered all

'07 335i E90 Titanium Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #962
vertspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i e93

Quote:
Great info, thanks.

I go to south county and have never had a problem w/ whatever SA i end up with. I leave in my mods, JB4 and DCI. I have warranty thru carmax and like you said it's You&BMW vs. the warranty company. Been in twice and 95% of the bill has been covered, only becuase the warranty companies go by the allotted "book hours" for repairs and BMW is of course gonna charge an extra hour here or there if they can. Carmax warranty has been awesome, great deal for the $1,700 i paid, 6 year/75k from purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #963
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 08 335i e92

Has anyone in here ran their cars at Racelegal in Qualcomm? If so, how'd you guys do and what mods did you guys have?

FBO
Instagram: RickyyyyyH
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #964
supahdave
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Rick View Post
Has anyone in here ran their cars at Racelegal in Qualcomm? If so, how'd you guys do and what mods did you guys have?
I used to run there alot.

Best i did was a 7.72@93mph w/ 1.656 60ft
Took down most of what i ran except trailer race cars, vette z06, full bolt on terminators etc

Jb3
Intercooler
Intake
Downpipes
Meth
Performance exhaust
Mickey thompson et street drag radials

Heres one run, not the best ive done.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #965
Ch3ss
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

can you guys recommend a place to get intake valves walnut shell blasted around the area?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #966
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdave View Post
I used to run there alot.

Best i did was a 7.72@93mph w/ 1.656 60ft
Took down most of what i ran except trailer race cars, vette z06, full bolt on terminators etc

Jb3
Intercooler
Intake
Downpipes
Meth
Performance exhaust
Mickey thompson et street drag radials

Heres one run, not the best ive done.
Awesome, looks like a lot of fun too! Thanks for sharing! Are you still going here and there?

FBO
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #967
supahdave
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Rick View Post
Awesome, looks like a lot of fun too! Thanks for sharing! Are you still going here and there?
Nope, parted the car out and sold it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #968
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdave View Post
Nope, parted the car out and sold it.
Darn, seems like that's what a lot of people are doing now..

FBO
Appreciate 0