E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Laser Jammer Finally tested.

02-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #89
bullmrkt
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

That link for the group buy over on the subie forum appears to be dead... Guess we can start a new one. But, they stated the basic 2 head unit is $550 with discounts going from there based on the size of GB.
1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta 6mt
1964 Porsche 356 C Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #90
big pimp
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d & Dakar Yellow E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmrkt View Post
big pimp- so it looks like you only have one front head? thats exactly where I was talking about mounting them.

Im confused about the head count now. I thought the most basic "system" included 2 heads, no?

yeah mate, i only have 1 fitted as the LPP seems to disperse quite well. it's also the 1st place they try to catch your reading over here, as the front license plate is reflective.

i have a 2nd head and some people have suggested i try and fit it close to a headlight, but i really think if it aint broke why fix it.

some users have tried locating it arount the rear view mirror, but were gotting conflicting signals, and some have suggested i rear-mount it, although if you are rear mounting, you would really be best with 2 as the rear of the car is much larger, and flatter, therefore a larger target area.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #91
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi

Quote:
That link for the group buy over on the subie forum appears to be dead... Guess we can start a new one. But, they stated the basic 2 head unit is $550 with discounts going from there based on the size of GB.
Epacy, who started the post in the marketpalce here, said he would check what is going on over there and get back to us. Either way it looks like there is enough interest to get a decent discount on a GB.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #92
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

[QUOTE=big pimp;2182180]funny you say the LPP isn't great - of all the ones i looked into, the LPP fitted the bill perfectly. i previously had the blinder twins before, and find my LPP much more effective.
i fitted mine under my front number plate (we have to have them here in the UK):

can you see it yet?

Anything is better than a blinder.. The issue with the LPP has been quality issues with the heads leaking and getting water in them and the product futzing out after a year. (which can happen to the LI but no reports of it yet). The main difference with the LPP and the LI is basically the software and the LI receiving lens, plus the costs the LI is way cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #93
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
big pimp- so it looks like you only have one front head? thats exactly where I was talking about mounting them.

Im confused about the head count now. I thought the most basic "system" included 2 heads, no?
The basic is a 2 head system.. You can either get a 2 head system or a 4 head aka the quad set up.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #94
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

I dont know if anyone has a better suggestion on glue to glue metal to plastic I need something stronger... But today I came back to my car and noticed hand prints on my hoot and near my right kidney grill (just washed my car yesterday).. As I got closer I realized someone tried to rip out the sensor head... I really wish I had security in my parking area but I will be at a new location in a few months with security. People these days..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #95
david1026
Lawyers - We're like well dressed ninjas.
United_States
Rep

Ok I was asked to pull the state laws for California since so many of you are there, and this is what I've got:
CA Vehicle Code, Division 12 (Equipment of Vehicles), Chapter 5 (Other Equipment), Article 17 (Jamming Devices), § 28150 (Interference with radar, laser or any other electronic device used by law enforcement agencies; violation) reads as follows;

(a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects. (Emphasis Mine)

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects. (Emphasis Mine)

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

From the way I read it, any of you in CA should be discrete as possible, because the Statute specifically prohibits laser jammers.

David
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #96
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep

Very easy to find here people:
http://www.guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html

If your state is red then it is illegal. Click on your state to see the statute.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #97
david1026
United_States
Rep

There is no guarantee that is up to date is the problem. I'm pulling the most recent official state statutes. I just figured I'd do curious parties a favor.

David
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #98
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
If you are a law student you know that any lower level law (i.e. city) cannot overrule a higher level law (i.e. state) So the fact that Nebraska says it's okay, does not make it okay. Laser jammers don't comply with FCC regulations.

Go Cornhuskers!
What's the regulation?
      02-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #99
david1026
United_States
Rep

There isn't one, the FCC only regulates radio, not laser emitting devices.

David
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #100
checuervo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Garage List
2008 E93  [0.00]
What exactly is an "infraction"? Is it like a jaywalking ticket? I think I could live with that...

1989 Ford Tempo, blue
1984 Toyota Van, brown
1982 Volvo Station wagon, yellow
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #101
suicidal4life
Rep
Drives: 2001 Mercedes E430

Quote:
The GB on the Subaru forum looks to have been moved to a Mazda forum

Heres the thread checking for interest and explaining why the subi GB died

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...er+interceptor

and heres the official group buy thread

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...&#entry1272343

I just signed onto the Mazda group buy a couple hours ago before I noticed this thread here.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #102
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep

Suicidal4life, thanks a ton for tracking this down for us.

I went over the the Mazda forum and signed up. I offered to coordinate a list here and represent e90post for the GB so that everyone did not need to go over and sign up on the forum just for this GB. However, the OP really wants to keep it all in the same thread. Therefore, if you want to sign up for the GB, go over to the Mazda forum and register there and add your name to the list. Of course, if you want to try and start your own GB here then go for it. I have chsen to participate in the GB on the Mazda forum though because they already reached the maximum discount tier.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #103
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1026 View Post
There isn't one, the FCC only regulates radio, not laser emitting devices.

David
Laser waves are higher frequency radio waves, or you could argue that radio waves are lower frequency light waves.
      02-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #104
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Thanks Andrew!

So the whole unit doesn't have to be exposed, just the little bubble in the jammer..?

Has anyone thought about making a vertical mount design? Perfect for the BMW kidney grills.

Unit seems rather large to me, why not make it deeper and have the front profile smaller? No reason this should'nt be the size of a deck of cards. With vert mount avail.

I'll spend $1k for that!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #105
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
Thanks Andrew!

So the whole unit doesn't have to be exposed, just the little bubble in the jammer..?

Has anyone thought about making a vertical mount design? Perfect for the BMW kidney grills.

Unit seems rather large to me, why not make it deeper and have the front profile smaller? No reason this should'nt be the size of a deck of cards. With vert mount avail.

I'll spend $1k for that!
It is very small.. Its about the size of a deck of cards... It has to do with the diode arrangement in the sensor.. I heard originally their was talk about offering 2 version but only 1 was made. The question was brought up before and basically the answer came down to costs of having 2 different types of heads vs 1 type.

The little bubble needs a view along with the diode on the other end.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2008, 10:57 PM   #106
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
Suicidal4life, thanks a ton for tracking this down for us.

I went over the the Mazda forum and signed up. I offered to coordinate a list here and represent e90post for the GB so that everyone did not need to go over and sign up on the forum just for this GB. However, the OP really wants to keep it all in the same thread. Therefore, if you want to sign up for the GB, go over to the Mazda forum and register there and add your name to the list. Of course, if you want to try and start your own GB here then go for it. I have chsen to participate in the GB on the Mazda forum though because they already reached the maximum discount tier.
Why don't we continue the gb on this forum (maybe start a new thread?) and have one person transfer all the names over to the Mazda forum. This way we don't all have to individually do it. Not that it's a lot of work or anything....just a little easier.
      02-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #107
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Why don't we continue the gb on this forum (maybe start a new thread?) and have one person transfer all the names over to the Mazda forum. This way we don't all have to individually do it. Not that it's a lot of work or anything....just a little easier.

Thought I answered that in my post pretty clearly. I tried that exact scenario offering my help to coordinate a list here so that everyone would not need to sign up on a forum just for the GB. However, the OP of the GB at the Mazda forum would prefer to keep it in one thread over there. He is in charge of the GB and we are talking about a 400+ product even after the discount. Since he is dealing with the money, I respect his wishes and signed up over there. you should too! They have already reached the max discount. If you want to try your luck here and start another GB then go right ahead. No one is stopping you. BTW, love the BSM sedan with Terra interior. Taking delivery of the same combo next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #108
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
Thought I answered that in my post pretty clearly. I tried that exact scenario offering my help to coordinate a list here so that everyone would not need to sign up on a forum just for the GB. However, the OP of the GB at the Mazda forum would prefer to keep it in one thread over there. He is in charge of the GB and we are talking about a 400+ product even after the discount. Since he is dealing with the money, I respect his wishes and signed up over there. you should too! They have already reached the max discount. If you want to try your luck here and start another GB then go right ahead. No one is stopping you. BTW, love the BSM sedan with Terra interior. Taking delivery of the same combo next week.

ahh...yes you did answer this pretty clearly, I missed your earlier post. sorry for the annoyance.
      02-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #109
TheJackal
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
ahh...yes you did answer this pretty clearly, I missed your earlier post. sorry for the annoyance.

Nto annoyed, just impatient. I want people to go sign up so we get these as soon as possible!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #110
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Switched power source and firewall passthru?

Andrew - where did you hook up your LI to for power? Was it a switched power source by any chance? Appreciate any further info on that. Did you just splice into a +12v wire?

Also when for getting through the firewall - can you give any details on where / how?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0