E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Accident..

04-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #23
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontothekim View Post
Nice job! haha but wouldnt the body shop help me better though? What if they found out it was an aftermarket bumper? Would this void me from getting the new bumper?
Unless your adjuster is an E9x enthusiast, he's not going to have a clue that the bumper has been changed, and will likely quote you a price for either a new OEM bumper or a remanufactured/OE supplier bumper from LKQ or the like, depending on the mileage/age of your car. As others have said, your rep bumper is significantly cheaper than OEM, so just take that money and buy the bumper you want. The insurance company of the at-fault party is obligated to return your car to the condition it was in prior to the accident. The guy would have hit you whether your had and OEM or aftermarket bumper, so it's not like the insurance company can deny your claim because you have aftermarket parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Now when you guys say, opt for the payout, isn't true that the insurance never pays out the entire amount as they say they don't know if you will fix it or not??
Not in my experience. I received a check for the full amount of the estimate from a body shop of my choice. I even told the adjuster I would be doing most of the labor myself for the repair and when I found more broken parts that weren't covered by the initial estimate, they sent me supplemental checks.
Appreciate 0