E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > The Black Box* Must Read

03-10-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2DR

Talking The Black Box* Must Read

Worth the read...

Waiting for others computer upgrades to be delivered was getting frustrating. So, did some digging around and found out that RDsport was coming out with some form of chip tuning software gizmo.

The Black Box by RD Sport (Racing Dynamics Spa) is amazing. The piggy back system is programmable and provides the first version Sport software. The Competition version should be available shortly and they gave me the option to upgrade once it becomes available. Thanks to www.CreativeAutoworks.com down in San Diego, CA and www.AutoTalent.com in Marina Del Rey, CA. James@Creative Autoworks quickly provided me the part and Zolti@Auto Talent did careful installation and dyno on the spot. These guys are top notch!!!!!!!!!

With a name like RD Sport / Racing Dynamics, I figured nothing could go wrong as they have been tuning BMW's for quite some time and provide many quality parts and project cars throughout the years. The V12 318ti was SIICK!!! The numbers that were quoted were just slightly lower than others claims. It makes sense to provide a safe reliable HP/TQ ratings for everyday driving.

The factory turbo's are small so I would imagine boosting the hell out of those things all the time would ruin them. Seen my share of blown turbo's that had to get rebuilt. (working on finishing up the Single Turbo Supra, but that is another topic)

Let's get on with it, the unit looks like

Paid the $1500 retail for it but James@Creative arranged for free installation. Worth every single penny (not sure if I was suppose to mention that)

It took about 1 hour to install the Black Box and strap the car to the dyno. It could have been longer or shorter due to my excitement. :rocks:

The shop was amazingly clean and Sam was nice to deal with. They have a nice lounge area upstairs but I was downstairs anticipating the completion of the Black Box. The car is completely stock and has zero performance modifications.

What matters is the power the car put down. 45+hp and 40+wtq, it is shown on the points. According to the numbers provided on the sheet, it is 29whp and 37wtq. I asked them to do a couple extra runs pre and post just to make sure all the numbers were consistent. 7+7 to be exact and asked that the highest of both maps were provided. The lowest the car put down was 267whp, can't remember the torque

Here it is on the dyno sheet:

Got to the shop kind of late on Thursday so decided to hang out there till traffic died down to do some test runs. They stayed late anyways.

Since they are in Marina Del Rey and conveniently there is the 90 freeway, which is not frequently traveled as the 405, figured that would be the perfect testing ground, no real harm of endangering others. On the way to the freeway, first and second gear spin the tires with sheer ease. Once on the freeway, made sure the road was clear, the pedal instantly went to the floor and shifted from 2nd to 3rd and 4th all the way to REDLINE!!! (can't say how fast that is to try to stay out of trouble) Those that have gone that fast should know. (Hint to others is 2x++ of limit) WOWWW is all I have to say, the pull from the car was SOOOO MUCH BETTER then before. A grin from ear to ear was instantly planted on my face and everytime I put the pedal to the floor.

Next to come is the quad exhaust from RD sport. Thanks guys!!!:rocks:
      03-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Attaching the dyno sheets hoping they would come out larger

Off to do some driving and have some fun. It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

03-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
bimmermans54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Vinshu's "black box" puts out way more power, for less. Also the smartest thing to have done is wait for AA, they are the leaders of bmw's, bar none.
PROCEDE on 93 octane is like 350+rwhp,and 405rwtq, yes you read it right!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
hahahahahhhaha

CREATIVE rips em off again!!!!

LMAO=lauging my asss offf!!

maybe u shouldve read this thread about there claims with evotech and see what happened before u bought that. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=evotech

WTF did u not see vishnu's PROCEDE!!! or let me guess CREATIVE told u itd be better????? LMAO
LMAO LMAO

AND that prety fucking sad they had to wait for SHIV's install video before they would attempt to put it on a persons car!! AND u know what!! Ill bet 100 to none thats exactly what the procede XEDE is WITHOUT SHIV's TUNING knowledge...So that tells me right there SHIV IS THE MAN!!!!!
      03-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
That's the Xede we developed for the 335i. You can tell because it has the LED cutout between the two connectors whereas the PROcede does not.

-shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 03-10-2007 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
That's the Xede we developed for the 335i. You can tell because it has the LED cutout between the two connectors whereas the PROcede does not.

-shiv
So this is XEDE? XEDE not even mentioed given the history of this forum?... wonder why? Most glaringly omitted is the mention of beta testing and said results. How many cumulative miles logged on this novel box? It's just appeared in alpha form, honed and ready. Now lets discuss why Shiv dumped the Xede platform and what merits resulted in its revival.

Last edited by edgarj; 03-10-2007 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
2009BMW335
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
seriously, why not the procede
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:

-shiv
Maybe so, but their s/w obviously doesn't make the necessary changes to make the huge increase the HP and TQ like you had on the XEDE; theirs only increases +45WHP and +40RWTQ...for more money. Plus, Shiv has even mentioned that he would be willing to come out with another map for the PROcede with less HP and TQ for those concerned with increasing to a level that pushes the envelope.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

I'd stick with Vishnu. He's been with us knuckleheads from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

So let me get this straight... its the older XEDE hardware, its got a ton more wires in the harness from the looks of it, it only gets 45/40+ HP/TQ, and it costs MORE?

hmmm... PROcede FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
dolby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBoler View Post
Attaching the dyno sheets hoping they would come out larger

Off to do some driving and have some fun. It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like someone has a day job as a copywriter for infomercials. It was just missing the line of copy "Call in the next 15 minues and get 2 for the price of one and as our free no obligation gift to you....."

BTW, the PROcede could be very short.

__________________________________________________ ________

Client: Vishnu Performance Systems - 3/10/07

Spot: PDQ0701 - "Damn" R:10

SFX: ENGINE IDLES AND THEN EXCELERATES INTO THE DISTANCE
VO: ( YELL W/ WITH DOPLER EFFECT ) DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

ANNC: www.vishnutuning.com

__________________________________________________ ___________
- 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Blk on Blk mDCT
- 1987 E30 325is - track car conversion in progress
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

I live 5 miles from Marina Del Rey. I would feel much more comfortable having the install shop local. BTW, I am glad some of the people that post on this forum can spell the word F.U.C.K. I just hope their other 12 year old friends don't start posting as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
I live 5 miles from Marina Del Rey. I would feel much more comfortable having the install shop local. BTW, I am glad some of the people that post on this forum can spell the word F.U.C.K. I just hope their other 12 year old friends don't start posting as well.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Jeeves915
Private
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 6AT Coupe

Quote:

-shiv
I do believe the term for that would be OWNED.
to Shiv for calling a spade a spade.

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for gas prices)
-Adam
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

not trying to sound like a dick.

but that write up sounded fake.

other than that. nice to see that other companies comming out with stuff.

it will make the 335 market a lot better with competition
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermans54 View Post
Vinshu's "black box" puts out way more power, for less. Also the smartest thing to have done is wait for AA, they are the leaders of bmw's, bar none.
PROCEDE on 93 octane is like 350+rwhp,and 405rwtq, yes you read it right!
It is not always about more/less power or more/less money. If you would like to bring that topic up, you might as well get a Dogde Neon SRT-4 or anything from the SRT-8 line. You could also make much more power for a lot less driving an EVO or WRX.

Quality of product and service is more important. Isn't that why people buy BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce, Bentley and so on?

91 octane gas in california. Certainly this product will put down more power with higher octane gas. If you would like to talk about more power, should I find and post a dynograph from some other country where they are running 98 or 100 octane gas?
      03-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #17
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

no sam we don't wanna see that...sry you bought an inferior product and trusted people who you shouldn't have and i am sry for people being asses on here...but it looks like you f%%cked up son!!! the procede is way better on 91 octane so why do we need to see others!!! it should go up accordingly!!!
________
LOVE LYRICS DICUSSION

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #18
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

^ Quality of the product is important, that's why Vishnu dumped the Xede. 98 or 100 octane gas sold in other countries is measured in the RON scale, in NA it is measured in AKI. Sorry, but it looks like you bought "sloppy seconds".
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #19
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
hahahahahhhaha

CREATIVE rips em off again!!!!

LMAO=lauging my asss offf!!

maybe u shouldve read this thread about there claims with evotech and see what happened before u bought that. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=evotech

WTF did u not see vishnu's PROCEDE!!! or let me guess CREATIVE told u itd be better????? LMAO
LMAO LMAO

AND that prety fucking sad they had to wait for SHIV's install video before they would attempt to put it on a persons car!! AND u know what!! Ill bet 100 to none thats exactly what the procede XEDE is WITHOUT SHIV's TUNING knowledge...So that tells me right there SHIV IS THE MAN!!!!!
Creative has nothing to do with this as RDsport sets the retail price. Your perception is diluted to think that a shop carries more weight than the manufacture. When someone buys HRE wheels from Acme company, is Acme company ripping them off? Get some sense.

Didn't read the thread about evotech and nor do I care. That is done on a different model car and different dyno with different software so that has nothing to do with this product.

Creative informed me about it and it was at my own discretion to purchase what I please. RDsport/Racing Dynamics Spa has been tuning BMW's for much longer than many other companies. Being a household name like Alpina, Hartge, Hamann carries more merit with me. Not sure if you guys can grasp this but Ruf for example doesn't always make the most amount of power but the cars they produce are bar none considered to be the best Porsche tuned vehicles.

I was there during the whole installation process and they did not reference any video or internet at any time. Are they watching a DIY ( do-it-yourself, in case YOU don't know what that means) on how to build an engine? That is right, there are a 2 engines out of cars at the shop. Do you think only one person can "tune" a car or build an engine? Oh wait, because you didn't read about someone on the internet then they must not exist. They must have taught you that in online school.
      03-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBoler View Post
It is not always about more/less power or more/less money. If you would like to bring that topic up, you might as well get a Dogde Neon SRT-4 or anything from the SRT-8 line. You could also make much more power for a lot less driving an EVO or WRX.

Quality of product and service is more important. Isn't that why people buy BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Rolls-Royce, Bentley and so on?

91 octane gas in california. Certainly this product will put down more power with higher octane gas. If you would like to talk about more power, should I find and post a dynograph from some other country where they are running 98 or 100 octane gas?
sam dont take it the wrong way.

im not sure if youve been hanging around the forums before youve posted or not, but people will defend shivs product including myself.

shiv has been with us from the begining and has explained how his product works very extensivly.

a lot of the people on the forum even the non 335 owners know how well the procede has worked on the car and how well shivs customer care/ service is.

no ones calling your product crap. it will just take a bit more information for us to justify buying it when we can get equal or better costumer serivce from a different manufactuer with better power gains and cheaper.

also before you bring up the 91 octane thing. i myself have dynoed 330 rwhp and 370wtq just with this piggy back on 91 octane.

sorry in advanced if anyone has offended your purcahse.

like i said before its nice to have more companies taking an interest in the 335
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #21
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

-shiv
Shiv,

To the best of my knowledge, the Xede is not a product manufactured by you or your company. It is available from a second source.

The case of the Black Box, Xede and Haltech all carry the same case and are identical.

The internals however might be different. Does not make a difference to me. Just knowing that a company is willing to stand behind their product and provide reliable service is what matters to me.
      03-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
SamBoler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
So this is XEDE? XEDE not even mentioed given the history of this forum?... wonder why? Most glaringly omitted is the mention of beta testing and said results. How many cumulative miles logged on this novel box? It's just appeared in alpha form, honed and ready. Now lets discuss why Shiv dumped the Xede platform and what merits resulted in its revival.
Not sure exactly what this box is. If it is an xede then it is an xede, re-badged or not. It works on the car and I am happy so the transaction/experience/product is very good.

This box has about 100+ miles now and runs flawlessly.

Can't give you the history of both companies as the development process did not include me in both instances. Don't think it necessary to know the day in and day out process of how Acme company builds an exhaust and when they stopped to say that is enough power.