E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Scenario Advice, Car Purchase.

02-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
athlon70
Rep
Drives: Sti/Gti

Scenario Advice, Car Purchase.

Hi all, a mate has purchased a BMW 325i e90 from a dealer.

The car is a BMW Premium Selection used car.

He buys the car and not 1 hour later whilst looking at it notices some waxing/polish residue on it, about size of a car mat say. he removes the residue to find a repair has been done ie: colour matched by a blind monkey it is that bad.

He feels that whatever he does, his car straight off the bat will always be worth less than a comparable car come time to sell. The BMW premium selection report mentions nothing of repairs or accident damge and lists the paint etc as good.

this from the BMW website:

100 Point-Plus Inspection.
Only the finest BMW vehicles are selected for BMW Premium Selection. Each vehicle must undergo an extensive 100 Point-Plus Inspection by factory trained BMW technicians. The stringent testing includes interior, exterior, mechanical and safety checks to ensure that each BMW Premium Selection vehicle is in optimum condition.

you would assume the car would be perfect based on the speel they have on the website.

He took the car to one of the select BMW approved repairers and they advised to fix a scratch to BMW standards, the whole side of the car ie: both doors, front and rear guard and roof turret to the roof rack line would be resprayed to colour match the whole car (which is fair enough). They also advised the car would never have made it to the BMW Premium Selection stage at their dealership.

The problem my mate has no matter how good the repair is and the BMW approved repairer also confrimed that at the first pre-inspection when he sells the car, the repair will be picked up and he will automatically be offered less, that is if he still has a buyer.

What would you do?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

take it back to the dealer or hope that there's some sort of 'cooling off' period
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

Normally, you would have a 72 hour cooling off period.

The dealer can hold back your deposit or 1% of purchase price for their expenses though
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
BMJOE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

agree with above posts, if they try any stall tactics tell him to raise hell!
      02-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I can't imagine BMW will play hard ball with you, they have always been fairly easy to deal with, I have dealt with 3 BMW dealerships, each with a problem similarly that needed resolve.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

wtf, im viewing it on my phone with a piss weak photo size and i can still clearly make out that patch up.

wow sudden deja vu. unless you have proof the dealer gave it to you in this condition... this might get a little messy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
athlon70
Rep

This is the chain of events he said as they unfolded.

The car was purchased on Sunday afternoon (05 FEB 2012) and left the dealership 4:00pm, arrived home at 6:30pm (2 1/2 HOUR DRIVE) he Noticed the mark driving up the freeway whilst following in another car.

Got home, removed the residue and he took pics that night 7:00pm and emailed them to the sales guy who responded, took some more next thing in the morning he emailed them (Salesmans day off) was advised to take it back to Sydney to have it "BUFFED" out, as it could not be a paint issue as it had been inspected by several people.

After seeing where it is heading, he ADV the dealership that it will be taken locally and get an independent assesment, took it straight away to the local BMW authorised panel shop who confirmed it was a repair job and not something that could be buffed out and no way in the world could it have been missed.

This is the biggest purchase of his life and he is very upset, if you wanted to be F***ED up the arse by a car dealer you would've gone down to Parramatta Rd.

Last edited by athlon70; 02-07-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Speak to the Dealer Principal - not a piss-ant salesman for starters.

Advise the DP that if the car is not restored to your satisfaction you will immediately be writing to the National MD of BMW Australia... as this dealership is trashing the 'Premium Selection" brand.... something BMW Australia would not be happy about.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
athlon70
Rep

That is the problem I see for him, what is "Satisfactory".

It does not matter if he decides tomorrow or in 5 years to sell the car, he will always be offered at least $5k less then an equivelant car due to no fault of his own, accept he trusted the BMW Premium Selection criteria.

I think unless the deslership repairs it to the BMW standard ie: full respect of the entire side and he is compensated at least the $5k, his only other choice is to return the car the slate is wiped clean and they pay for all his expenses incurred ie: $500.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
sas001
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 - 911

What did he end up doing?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
alistairm
Rep
Drives: 335i

Which dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
RJWRJW
Registered
Rep
Drives: E53X5turboD,E92335Msportcoupe

had a big premium selection issue with a NSW x5 i purchased from Canterbury BMW. less than 50kms after it arrived on TNT it failed roadworthy to transfer the rego to QLD.

My saving grace was the low lms since i purchased it, i'd taken it to a bmw dealer for the roadworthy, as they were fitting a tow bar for me.

anyway, long answer, short question - the guy who made things happen was a john raskas - national bmw warranty manager = john.raskas@bmw.com.au

on this matter he was great, gave me all the exact words to use with the service manager and sales manager used vehicles, at cantebury bmw and over $5,000 of repairs were effected at no cost to me.

i can almost bet that your copy of the "premium selection report" was not in the glove box as it was supposed to be.

the dealer has to guarantee the national bmw warranty program that any vehicle sold under premium selection has met or been brought up to premium selection stndards. the warranty is worn by bmw australia, not the dealer. if they catch a dealer playing silly buggers, then they can be fined or even lose thaeir franchising agreement.

they do take it pretty seriously.

mr raskas was useless a couple of yrs latter with x5 taillights wherein there is a "contact" issue in the rear light clusters. bmw north america had a "technical bulletin' issued on the fault and granting warranty cover, but oh no aussie x5's were supposedly different, even though they;re all made in the same factory. but hey that;s another issue to yours.

they owe you a bmw authorised paint shop repair.

good luck
Appreciate 0