E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Glow Plug Control Unit... where?!

01-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #23
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Interesting thread as mine is a 2009 and has a lumpy start up. Only lasts 20 secs or so. Mine is an AUC car so will have to get it in for a new glow plug unit...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Definately would be my advice. It looks like there is a weakness in this area, not that BMW will admit to this I'm sure! Beru aren't renound for quality product so this may well be where the weakness arises. The glow plugs are make by Bosch i believe, according to the online BMW catalogues.

The date is marked on my unit as you can see as April 2012 and it looks as if this is being a troublesome component again. I guess there is only a small amount of BMW owners that may pick up on this rough running problem... Most would probably just put it down "its a bit cold". I can't believe a unit would have issues again after just 6months!

E90 330d - N57
Prof Nav - 6FL - Visability Pack - Alpine Hi-Fi Upgrade - L7 Subwoofers - L7 rear mids + tweeters - 6FL
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
330dhudson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330d 2009 LCI m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianSi View Post
Well I've just started it up and it was as eager and smooth as you like. It was 7.5 degrees which is a damn sight warmer than we've had for a few weeks now. Normally there would have been a little bit of a murmer at idle. Grrr curse the weather getting warmer lol!
Hi Adrian. I have same motor as you & was relieved to find your post on here as it seems I too need a new glow plug unit after having identical issues to you... How's yours been since you replaced it?
Do you think instead of taking old one out, you could unplug it and stick a new one next to it or on the old one to save the messing about with unbolting etc?
Just a thought! Look forward to hearing from u
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330dhudson View Post
Hi Adrian. I have same motor as you & was relieved to find your post on here as it seems I too need a new glow plug unit after having identical issues to you... How's yours been since you replaced it?
Do you think instead of taking old one out, you could unplug it and stick a new one next to it or on the old one to save the messing about with unbolting etc?
Just a thought! Look forward to hearing from u
There would absolutely be no chance of installing another unit next to the old one as there is a no way of releasing the connector from the unit without removing the bolts. The connector sits right next to the underside of the inlet and is very tight to access. The wires exit the connector at 90degs and are very tight. I am quite sure that i actually have a broken wire on this connector as I am seeing this problem return with the new unit fitted. A simple remove and reinstall cures the problem.

This issue didnt exist until the engine and gearbox had to be removed under warranty for the timing chain replacements!

E90 330d - N57
Prof Nav - 6FL - Visability Pack - Alpine Hi-Fi Upgrade - L7 Subwoofers - L7 rear mids + tweeters - 6FL
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #27
deeebo8452
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 325d N57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianSi View Post
Just the engine cover to get to it. This isnt the same for all 330d's though. This is for the N57 engine only as fitted to the LCi E90 not the M57 fitted to pre-LCi models. It may be in a similar position on the M57 engine bbut wouldnt be able to say if its an inlet off job.

I have been doing a bit of investigation work this afternoon to determin if the there is power at the glow plugs and a trigger to the control unit. I had about 3volts at the glow plugs, which I wouldn't think is the required voltage even for a pre-heat.

What I can say however is that it is very difficult to get your hand in and around the glow plug areas to disconnect them and to release the glow plug connector(s). With the inlet off it would be an easier job but there are alot of bits and pieces to move out of the way to get the inlet off. I could certainly get the control unit out with out inlet off, but very fiddly.
Hi AdrianSI

I realise I am replying to a very old thread but thought I would ask anyway in case you can help.

I just took a look at your comment and also need to change my glow plug control unit based on error codes that I have found. I have a 2010 325d with the same N57 engine I believe you have.

I wanted to confirm if the glow plug control unit can be replaced taking the manifold off? Furthermore is it a relatively easy job to do bearing in mind I am not the most savvy person in terms of mechanics. Or do you reckon it is better to take it to a mechanic. I was quoted over 2.5 hours to do the job @£65 + vat which equates to around £200. Does it require that much time - this was based on their assumption of needing to take the manifold off by the way.

I assume to replace the glow plugs I would need to remove the manifold? How big a job is that in terms of labour hours?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0