E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > To those with PSS10s....one question.

01-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

To those with PSS10s....one question.

So I just wanted to know, how (what tool) to adjust the REAR adjustment knob? I'm talking about the set screw that stabilizes the knob in place. I have the installation manual, but it doesn't say what tool is used to loosen the set screw?

Since I needed to remove the knob initially before installing the REAR struts, to get the top part through the hole, then reinstall the adjustment knob....

Because I think the knob is either set too high or low, I'm getting 13 clicks from soft to firm, and it should only be 10....

I called Bilstein and they said that I need to adjust the knob(either set it higher or lower).

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
A really small Allen key. I can't recall what size. I just remember I had to get an SAE set because my metric one did not have that size.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
A really small Allen key. I can't recall what size. I just remember I had to get an SAE set because my metric one did not have that size.
Thanks NiVeDh!

Also, I'm assuming that you also have the PSS10s, so how do I know how far up or down to set the knob?

How do I realign the knob after messing with it, meaning, how do I know that '1' is lined up with the softest setting on the rear strut? Because I need to turn the knob to expose the set screw hole in order to loosen it, you know what I'm talking about?

Last time I had that issue(it only went 9 clicks instead of 13, lol), the tech that did the install adjusted it for me, but I just don't want to keep driving back to the shop (20 min drive) just for this, I think it's easy, but need some tips!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Thanks NiVeDh!

Also, I'm assuming that you also have the PSS10s, so how do I know how far up or down to set the knob?

How do I realign the knob after messing with it, meaning, how do I know that '1' is lined up with the softest setting on the rear strut? Because I need to turn the knob to expose the set screw hole in order to loosen it, you know what I'm talking about?

Last time I had that issue(it only went 9 clicks instead of 13, lol), the tech that did the install adjusted it for me, but I just don't want to keep driving back to the shop (20 min drive) just for this, I think it's easy, but need some tips!

TIA
I have the PSS9 but they're very similar.

For setting the adjuster knob, the instructions are on page 20 of this PDF:

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/E4-WM4-Y563A00.pdf

However, I must say that it's mainly trial and error. The most important piece of information, at least for the PSS9, is that the starting position should be at "full clockwise" which is the softest damping position. Once set, put the adjuster on so that the score mark lines up with the correct setting. On the PSS9, this is "9". Then, tighten it, and then see if you can hear a "click" at every setting counterclockwise all the way to "1".

Warning: the PSS10 uses the opposite nomenclature for damping. For PSS9, softest is "9" and firmest is "1" while for the PSS10, softest is "1" and firmest is "10" so look out for that.

I only have the instruction manual for the PSS9 that I posted above. You can e-mail Bilstein and they will send you the one for the PSS10.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok thanks!

So I start at the softest position, which for PSS10, is '1'....

I'm assuming that I should stop at the section where it reads 'assembly B16'? Since I'm not ERC equipped, right?

Did you do the install yourself on your PSS9s? I'm not sure what the instruction meant by 'remove the adjusting plate', do they mean the knob?

When I remove the adjustment knob completely, there should be some indication of the setting on the shock with the knob off, does that make sense? So I know where to line the lines on the knob to the actual score mark(if there's one) on the strut itself.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok thanks!

I'm assuming that I should stop at the section where it reads 'assembly B16'? Since I'm not ERC equipped, right?

Did you do the install yourself on your PSS9s? I'm not sure what the instruction meant by 'remove the adjusting plate', do they mean the knob?

When I remove the adjustment knob completely, there should be some indication of the setting on the shock with the knob off, does that make sense? So I know where to line the lines on the knob to the actual score mark(if there's one) on the strut itself.....

TIA

What's ERC? I followed the instructions under that section.

A BMW tech friend and I did the install together.

Adjusting plate is the knob.

I understand what you're asking. That's why you turn the square part fully clockwise first. Fully clockwise is full soft on the PSS9 (not sure about PSS10). That means that when you put the knob on, you need to line the score mark up with "9". Maybe on the PSS10, you line it up with "1" - I am not sure about this.

It's kind of "relative" with respect to the collar with the score mark. You should orient both the collar and the knob so that the score mark lines up with "9" after the square part has been turned fully clockwise.

After that, make sure the little ball bearing is slightly depressed - this is what allows you to feel every "click" as you move the adjuster. Make sure it moves through every adjustment position.

It's really hard to explain... just give it a try and play with it for a bit. You will get it.

Do remember that everything I've said applies to the PSS9 so please confirm that it is the same on the PSS10 because I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
99three
Banned
Rep
Drives: 993, e92, e36, F355, Z32, Jag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
This ^
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh
Quote:
ok thanks!

TIA

What's ERC? I followed the instructions under that section.

A BMW tech friend and I did the install together.

Adjusting plate is the knob.

I understand what you're asking. That's why you turn the square part fully clockwise first. Fully clockwise is full soft on the PSS9 (not sure about PSS10). That means that when you put the knob on, you need to line the score mark up with "9". Maybe on the PSS10, you line it up with "1" - I am not sure about this.

It's kind of "relative" with respect to the collar with the score mark. You should orient both the collar and the knob so that the score mark lines up with "9" after the square part has been turned fully clockwise.

After that, make sure the little ball bearing is slightly depressed - this is what allows you to feel every "click" as you move the adjuster. Make sure it moves through every adjustment position.

It's really hard to explain... just give it a try and play with it for a bit. You will get it.

Do remember that everything I've said applies to the PSS9 so please confirm that it is the same on the PSS10 because I don't know.
Oh I thought B16 meant that you have the electronic ride control, where you can adjust the firmness of the struts from the cabin.....lol.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE

LOL.....So I decided to adjust the knob on my rear PSS10s (rear driver side). Guess what I found/didn't find after taking the knob off? There was NO end stop disk, which has another end pin on it that stops the end pin on the adjustment knob!

That explains why that side goes to 13 or some clicks while the other side does the normal 9 clicks (not counting the one click that you're on).

So I'm just going to ask the shop I had install the suspension about that end stop disk.....OMG, I swear I'm doing my own install from now on! LOL.....

If they don't have it, is there another way to get that? I guess I can alway call Bilstein AGAIN........

Any suggestions guys?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Real quick...does anyone know the size of the front strut mount center nut?

Apparently my driver side is loose, so I need to get a socket that fits.

Also what's the nut that is used to hold down the ZSP strut bar? Name of it please.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0