E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW and Toyota to Develop New Sports Car Jointly

06-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #89
Tunisie-G
Tunisie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i w ///M-Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask
I think Toyota may already be developing BMW's electric power steering.

BMW is loosing their way I am sad to say. I am seriously considering an Audi S4, if time permits I am going to do some test driving this weekend. I have driven BMW's my whole life but they are driving me (and other driving enthusiasts) away by becoming the ultimate techno-nonsense machine.
Times have changed, people have newer phones with newer technologies and they would like for their premium vehicle to be able to incorporate all that such as Bluetooth, hands free calling, etc. you seem like you are so against change, just calm down, I have a 2012 BMW M3 and I have previously owned a 1998 BMW M3 and I dont think BMW lost any of it's driving feel, it only got BETTER, they are a world renowned company with the brightest minds running the company, if you think you are so smart, try to get a position in BMW where you could make them go backwards with using no technology haha, good luck, I love the direction BMW is heading nowadays, all of those new vehicles are beautiful and a sight to behold when seen on the road!!!
      06-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #90
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsenadbz88 View Post
Times have changed, people have newer phones with newer technologies and they would like for their premium vehicle to be able to incorporate all that such as Bluetooth, hands free calling, etc. you seem like you are so against change, just calm down, I have a 2012 BMW M3 and I have previously owned a 1998 BMW M3 and I dont think BMW lost any of it's driving feel, it only got BETTER, they are a world renowned company with the brightest minds running the company, if you think you are so smart, try to get a position in BMW where you could make them go backwards with using no technology haha, good luck, I love the direction BMW is heading nowadays, all of those new vehicles are beautiful and a sight to behold when seen on the road!!!
I do like the integration of technology, I hate the sacrifices that are not necessary (or at least not ready yet), electric power steering does not feel right, the older stuff feels better. I hate the clutch delay valve, I hate soft stop brakes, I don't like technology for technology's sake. BMW is admitting that electric power steering is not as good by keeping it off of the M cars. I feel like we are being treated as beta testers, and the product is suffering for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #91
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Good news maybe TMC can supply BMW with much needed Water Pumps & Fuel Pumps. Then they can change their jingle to... The ultimate reliable driving machine.
Now that's the kind of car I want to buy!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #92
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5rk5rk5
Hmmmm.... Rebirth of Supra with bmw engine???? lol i dunno....
Oh man that would be the day
      06-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #93
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

So many fanboi quotes in this thread that aren't even worth acknowledging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
So I wonder if we are talking supercar, like an LF-A successor with BMW styling cues.

Or maybe Toyota wants their own Z2 or Z4 - something to replace the now departed MR2.
So for the second time, BMW will have to draw on another companies expertise to bring a supercar to the table.

Was kinda hoping one day they'd show they were capable of developing one all by their lonesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Everyone mentions "Toyota reliability" but fails to realize the communications systems in a Camry are completely different than anything found in a BMW. BMWs use fiber optic bus systems, which are faster, but also more expensive and less reliable. BMW has no issues with engine reliability, it is their electronics. Seeing as how Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the advanced electronics that BMW does, I doubt they will be able to improve reliability...
Just because BMW told all their customers that the HPFP issue didn't exist for several years doesn't mean that it wasn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
Wait what if BMW uses the engine from the LFA to power the M1 successor???
OMG
Not sure why Lexus would dilute the value/uniqueness of the LFA by sharing it's spectacular engine with BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
It is so sad to see what people drive BMW today, mostly badgewhores. Now it is Toyota that is leading in the sports segment. The GT86 is a lightweight sports car like BMW has never built since the M3 E30, and the Lexus LFA is the only car worthy to be compared to the McLaren F1, and far better than the M1 E26. BMW M has betrayed its heritage by going FI, but Toyota has just brought out the new GT86 with a NA engine and no BMW M engine is as "M" as the V10 of the LFA.

Think that BMW/Toyota sportscars would be like :
- more powerful GT86
- more affordable LFA
- more true sportscars from BMW (one M3 is not enough)

Hybrid really is the near futur technology. Just look at the 918 Spyder. i8 is not a true sportscar. Also hybrid tech permits sportscars to keep their high revving naturally aspirated engines, instead of going forced induction and losing character and emotion like the McLaren MP4-12C or M5/M6 F1X. Just think of some FMR sportscar with the NA V10 and electric engines at the rear axle ? No more "lacking" torque, right weight distribution better fuel economy.
Stop making sense. You can't talk positively about other marques on a BMW forum don't you know?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #94
SSSnakeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsenadbz88 View Post
all of those new vehicles are beautiful and a sight to behold when seen on the road!!!
until you get close enough to see the orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #95
Sonnig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F20 118i Sport

No!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #96
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Stop making sense. You can't talk positively about other marques on a BMW forum don't you know?
Yes I know. On the other Toyota/Lexus forums I am on, I have to prove how good BMW is.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #97
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

One other thing is possible for BMW/Toyota joint: Lotus. Toyota is the supplies its engines for Lotus, the I4 and V6's, BMW could need a sporty brand to rival Ferrari, Lamborghini which belongs the Audi and Porsche which belongs to VW. BMW has Mini and Rolls Royce, they yet need Lotus in the sportscars segment. BMW could build Lotus and get Toyota/Yamaha engines like the one in the LFA, because they are NA and not FI like M engines. BMW would not have to develop new NA M engines, but just source them form Toyota.For more efficiency they could be hybrids, like the 981 Spyder, but at a more "affordable price, the 918 Spyder costs more than 600.000 €. That would definitely be a 458 Italia killer.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #98
lowell_b
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
So I wonder if we are talking supercar, like an LF-A successor with BMW styling cues.

Or maybe Toyota wants their own Z2 or Z4 - something to replace the now departed MR2.
Not a bad idea at all. That would be awesome!
      06-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #99
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Yes I know. On the other Toyota/Lexus forums I am on, I have to prove how good BMW is.
I agree. Both have their strengths and may combine to build something amazing. Cant wait to see the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #100
$hah$
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/MT/ZCP & 2023 X7

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Rebirth of the Supra!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #101
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
So basically they are going to build a car that speeds off on it's own and won't slow down until the HPFP gives out?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #102
Mysecondwife
AF Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi M Sport/Black-Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
Sounds like a good thing to me. BMW engineering and Toyota reliability sounds like something I'd buy. Maybe they can even pull it off with Toyota pricing too!!!

Lightweight technologies, hugh? Hmmmm....carbon fiber is lightweight. It still strikes me as odd that carbon, the most abundant non-gaseous element on Earth is still more costly than other things, yet is is stronger as well being lighter in weight. And why stuff is still made from derivatives of iron and aluminum is a mystery to me.
The problem is the processing to manufacture carbon fiber is costly.
      06-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
Titan9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e39 and e60 M5

I'm proud to own both brands...BMW for daddy...spirited driving and Toyota SUV for mama, kids and the the dog...peace of mind.
This is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #104
rkcruiser
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Good news maybe TMC can supply BMW with much needed Water Pumps & Fuel Pumps. Then they can change their jingle to... The ultimate reliable driving machine.
Yes. I had this prob. Put a small dent in the pocket book.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #105
captain sour
Private
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i E92

This could lead to some interesting places.......
As long as Toyota doesn't Fu*k up again.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #106
e90will
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f30 320iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
I agree. Both have their strengths and may combine to build something amazing. Cant wait to see the outcome.
That's right.. A combo of the best of the best... of these 2 automakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #107
bm3rmy
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0D

this is the only way to give up BMW.
I have never seen more booooring cars than toyota.
I like BMW with his issues.
I am not interested in anything from Toyota.
I strongly believe if we get normal actual BMW with toyota involvement european BMW entuziast will move to mercedes most likely.
IT is the badge, the history, the fun that I love at BMW not the technology.
SHAME for BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #108
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

No thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #109
jhhwang82
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Vert

So... Are they gonna offer 0.9% for 60 months? That will be very nice... Kkkk...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #110
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm3rmy View Post
this is the only way to give up BMW.
I have never seen more booooring cars than toyota.
I like BMW with his issues.
I am not interested in anything from Toyota.
I strongly believe if we get normal actual BMW with toyota involvement european BMW entuziast will move to mercedes most likely.
IT is the badge, the history, the fun that I love at BMW not the technology.
SHAME for BMW
You know a BMW that is better than the Lexus LFA ? You know a BMW that is more fun than the Toyota GT86 ?
Appreciate 0