E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant low due to hose breaking

04-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

Coolant low due to hose breaking

Wow, was only 10 miles away from hm when I left Dave and Busters. low coolant light came on half way home, got home when hood started to smoke, so parked it real quick. Turns out the plastic part that connects the upper radiator hose to the oil filter housing just snapped off and coolant spewed everywhere! Dont think the engine overheated.

Now heres the scenario, to get the car up and running, can I use prestone coolant so its drivable and do a complete flush and replace the hose and then do a complete flush later or do you strongly dont recommend that?
Reason I ask is I can get the parts cheaper through a friend with a wholesaler but I want to get the car up and running asap.

My car is an 06 with 86K miles, so just giving those out there a heads up that it can happen at any time. The hose condition looks great, but plastic just snapped :/ its like the water pump situation, no telling, better to replace it ahead of time and might as well replace the oil filter housing gasket while at it

Plan on calling dealer up tmr first thing to get the part.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

What you wrote doesn't make sense. How can you get the car "up and running" if the hose is broken and can not reconnect to the oil filter housing? Don't you need to get a new hose first before you can refill the system?

Also, are you really going to save that much money on a $40 part that it is worth waiting to get a discount?

If you are asking if you can use coolant other than BMW coolant for a short period then I'd say it would not be an issue. The strick use of BMW coolant is more to do with the mineral content of European water (v.s. North American continent water). But it is always good practice to use BMW coolant for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

In order to get all the prestone out you'll need to flush it multiple times. Get the proper coolant and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

7am trip to the dealer for upper hose and bmw coolant and cars back up and running. Thanks Will post picture of the broken part later.
Appreciate 0