E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BT Scan Actual Values, what do they mean

10-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

BT Scan Actual Values, what do they mean

I was looking over the long list of actual value options in the BT scan tool program and while some of them are pretty self explanatory, others are not clear at all. I was trying to find out which one I would use to measure boost. I also would like to know other ones would be helpful in trying to locate the source of reduced power, hesitation and irregular idle. There are a few that correlate to the the individual cylinders, would any of those be worth looking at? I do not want to change anythig, just see if i can find the irregularities that cause the uneven and rough idling. Itis like misifiring. Where would i look if it was not triggering codes but definitely was there?
thank you
      10-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Unfortunately there is no list of what all the Actual Value mean. Some are self explantory but others...

You can measure boost if you do not have a piggyback. But you need to convert it as it is absolute pressure and not gage. The following threads may help some.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233284

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245836
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
This is what we use to log data.... Timing, speed, rpm, just about anything going on in the car can be selected. Cut them on Drive and watch the numbers roll. You can export and data will be saved in Excell file so that you can recall and graph it. The Recall feature can be used to bring up a particular set of parameters that you want to evaluate. Recall...pull up the file you program to watch timing, gear, rpms and you can easily evaluate your cars ability to run mapped increases in boost. Also this can be used to record events...like misfires, stumbles, bumps in the transmision etc. It basicaly a recorder of the events that happen in your car on the ECU level.
      10-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool, thank y9ou both for the tips.
What actual value would I wantr to watch for the isfires. i was watching the engine speed and you can see on the graph when the idle rops out and scomes back but is there another more specific value to watch? I saw the ones for each ccylinder spark voltage and the one cylinder had a lower value than the other 5, I wonder if that has anythig to do with it.