E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Scratched Rear Door + Rear Panel & Door Handle - HELP

04-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
rahili
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 IM Sport Saloon

Angry Scratched Rear Door + Rear Panel & Door Handle - HELP

Dear E90/E92 members,

I'm new to this forum, quick intro regarding my car I currently drive a BMW 330IM Sport Saloon, Ext. Colour Sparkling Graphite & interior Black Leather. Anyway, I thought Friday 13th was two days ago but it struck on April 15th .

I have scracthed my car when I drove it back into the drive-way after a stressful shopping trip to IKEA. No offense to IKEA but the whole experience at IKEA drove me to a moment of madness and on returning home, I clipped the edge of the gate . No need to blag on but my left rear door & left rear panel got scratched and slightly dented :mad:.

As I had an immaculate driving history (up till now), I haven't been to a car repair shop since passing my driving license, so car bodyshops are unknown territory.

I would be so grateful if you guys (i.e. e90 forum members) could give me a rough indication how much the repair cost will be. Also, I live in London so the cost could be even higher!

I estimate the job to be between 350 - 600 from an official BMW dealershop.

Speak to you soon .

RI
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Sorry about your damage, but...

Any shots to show the extent of the damage?

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
rahili
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry no pics

The car was washed and polished this morning, I don't think that my digital camera could handle a pick of the scratch. But I suspect, the job will entail a respray of the left rear door/ left rear panel.

I'm taking the car to the bodyshop tomorrow, I'm holding my breath!

RI
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
I recently had to get a 3 panel respray that ran to £950. My curent damage, (See thread, no luck with this car) is estimated at £1125 for a new bumper to be sprayed and fitted!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

Where in London?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
rahili
United Kingdom
Rep

Area

I'm based near Woodford Green. My nearest BMW branch is Styner Chigwell near Loughton.

Whereabts r u Roofer?

RI

Last edited by rahili; 04-15-2007 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D M Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahili View Post
I'm based in near Woodford Green. My nearest BMW branch is Styner Chigwell near Loughton.

Whereabts r u Roofer?

RI

Romford, take yours to Mstyle for paint......6 year g/tee as per bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
rahili
United Kingdom
Rep

Service Level - official BMW dealerships

RockIT,

I have to ask you, were you happy with the level of service of the official BMW dealerships, assuming you went to one? Were the repairs conduncted to a spotless level?

I have to say when I my picked up my 330 IM sport from the dealership (i.e. brand new), I was stunned to find out that my wind screen had scratches, not huge ones but very tiny ones. They are hard to see but when the sun shines straight into the windscreen, they are visible. As I hadn't touched the car, I could only conclude that the people at the garage must have done a pis poor job, (i.e. cleaned the car with a dirty cloth or something...) Anyway, I really hope when the dealership fix the job, it will be impossible to tell! As all BMW drivers are, we have an eye for detail don't we?

RI
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
If you're lucky and they can get at the panels from the inside to beat out the dent then it should by £350~400ish judging by work I had done to one of my front doors.

The problem is likely the rear panel. If you've managed to get the dent in an inacessible part (due to body stiffening etc for the roof) then you'll be straight into £700+ territory in my experience.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
RockIT,

I have to ask you, were you happy with the level of service of the official BMW dealerships, assuming you went to one? Were the repairs conduncted to a spotless level?

I have to say when I my picked up my 330 IM sport from the dealership (i.e. brand new), I was stunned to find out that my wind screen had scratches, not huge ones but very tiny ones. They are hard to see but when the sun shines straight into the windscreen, they are visible. As I hadn't touched the car, I could only conclude that the people at the garage must have done a pis poor job, (i.e. cleaned the car with a dirty cloth or something...) Anyway, I really hope when the dealership fix the job, it will be impossible to tell! As all BMW drivers are, we have an eye for detail don't we?

RI
The dealership don't deal with the repairs directly, but there is a bodyshop that they use which is BMW and Porsche approved. They did a superb job of the repair and spray, but managed to damage the interior trim near the mirror cover. When I pointed this out they immediately apologised and sorted the damage.

As far as my experience of BMW dealerships goes, I am disappointed with the overall attitude so far. After I ordered my car their communication was terrible, the sales guy didn't have the car ready for me when I came to collect it and drove it from the carpark way too fast in 1st gear to 'demonstrate the engine noise!' :mad: The best they offered me after complaints about their service and attitude was 10% off some mats. I would hesitate to use the dealership a second time. Mazda's service was way better when I had my RX8.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 03:54 AM   #11
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I would potentially look for a decent body shop and not do it through BMW. I get the impression a number of them don't have body shops and so just ship it out to someone and charge a mark-up.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

My office is right next door the the authorised repair shop used by most of the BMW dealers in the midlands, plus Porsche, Ferrari (there's an Enzo in at the minute), Lambo, Bentley etc.

2 people who work here have had work done by them to their "BMW approved" criteria and both times the work has been poor + additional damage to the interior of the car on delivery.

Alternatively there's a back street one man band in Derby who knocks spots off them. Perfect every time.
      04-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
It has to be somewhere recommended. I'm surprised that somewhere used by those brands has shoddy service. I think you have a PM from me BTW nathan !
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Dear E90/E92 members,

I'm new to this forum, quick intro regarding my car I currently drive a BMW 330IM Sport Saloon, Ext. Colour Sparkling Graphite & interior Black Leather. Anyway, I thought Friday 13th was two days ago but it struck on April 15th .

I have scracthed my car when I drove it back into the drive-way after a stressful shopping trip to IKEA. No offense to IKEA but the whole experience at IKEA drove me to a moment of madness and on returning home, I clipped the edge of the gate . No need to blag on but my left rear door & left rear panel got scratched and slightly dented :mad:.

As I had an immaculate driving history (up till now), I haven't been to a car repair shop since passing my driving license, so car bodyshops are unknown territory.

I would be so grateful if you guys (i.e. e90 forum members) could give me a rough indication how much the repair cost will be. Also, I live in London so the cost could be even higher!

I estimate the job to be between 350 - 600 from an official BMW dealershop.

Speak to you soon .

RI
Probably not want you want to hear, but I had a door dent in my e90 recently - when I to clip the wall next to my drive.

It was maybe a 1inch dent in the door and also some damage to the plastic cill bodykit and also the metal cill beneath.

All in it cost £1800 to sort.

That covered a new door, cill, paintwork and blending the panels either side.

The doors on these cars are like paper.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Pays to go somewhere on recommendation. We have a local guy who does an okay job and is actaully based in a former BMW bodyshop. But as good (and cheap) as his work is you can still see where he has been. Before they moved we actually used to use the local dealer's bodyshop to repaint some of the kit that we produce and they have always done a top job.

I've had some work done by the local dealer and would have to say that they've done a great job. One of the guys there was awarded the BMW panel beater of the year award towards the end of last year and they are planning to move (again) and spend bucket loads on a new purpose built facility.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #16
rahili
United Kingdom
Rep

Angry Update

Many thanks for the replies much appreciated. To give you guys an update regardging my tragedy. I went to the BMW dealership (i.e. Sytner Chigwell) this morning and it's going from bad to worse, shocked to say that the repair job is estimated at 1000 pounds ? Honestly so pissed off, instead of giving me comforting words, the people at BMW couldn't stop giving me bad news.

After inspecting the car, Mr " Senior Bodyshop Person" immediately responded by saying you need a new door. But I thought, the left door was slightly dented maybe a 1 degree or so and minor damage to the left panel. I don't know about door handle but it should be fixed by a paint job! Could someone plz tell me, what science they use in order to quote these body repairs but they aren't based on exact rationality. Well there is a word for this kind of behaviour, it's called rip off, suddenly the programme "Watchdog comes to mind" I don't know why!

I have taken some pics on my camera and I will post them onto this forum but I'm 100% sure that these guys don't need to replace the door, I think he's trying to fix me up and I'm sure off it.

Also, I asked him do I need a new door handle he said yes, but while he was speaking to me he filled in a form and he ticked paint only!

Could someone plz tell me what that form does? Also, if the door is replaced will they give me the old door? If, yes, I think I might flog it on ebay, I bet someone might need one!

RI
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #17
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

rahili,

Look at it this way, the so called "approved" body shop I mentioned earlier quoted our CEO's PA just over £400 to sort out a dent and respray the near side rear wheel arch on her 320 cab. This was when she'd mentioned that she was going to be paying cash for it. Not a bad price you might think?

She then realised that her insurance excess was only £150 so said that she'd get the insurance to cover it. Guess what? They had to do a whole new quote which came out nearer £900!!! The reasoning? Has to be BMW approved for insurance, therefore costs more.

Shame really as the car still came back with over spray all over the door and the worst colour match I've ever seen!

So yes, the whole thing is a damn rip off!
      04-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #18
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
When we had our M3, some low life tried to break in and broke the door handle and damaged the surrounding paintwork.

The net result was the door was repaired, sprayed and new furniture fitted for about £500 from our local BMW dealer. Perfect job as well, couldn't see the join. Their bodyshop prices seem reasonable to me, supply, painted and fitted the rear spoiler for just over £200.

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0