E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006-2007 335i Auto Transmission

06-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
havoc1
Rep
Drives: Merc C320

2006-2007 335i Auto Transmission

Hi all, I'm in the market for a used (2006-2007) 335i and am pretty much sold on the auto trans.

The only thing that puts me off is the fact that the gearbox will apparently shift up automatically even in manual mode when it hits the redline. I like to do the odd drift where conditions permit, but if I can't hold it in a given gear than that's a big no-no for me.

Can you hold the trans in a given gear WITHOUT any automatic upshift?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i,911,ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1 View Post
Hi all, I'm in the market for a used (2006-2007) 335i and am pretty much sold on the auto trans.

The only thing that puts me off is the fact that the gearbox will apparently shift up automatically even in manual mode when it hits the redline. I like to do the odd drift where conditions permit, but if I can't hold it in a given gear than that's a big no-no for me.

Thx
In response to your question, as long as you don't hit the "kickdown" button, you should be able to hold the car in any gear until it hits redline. I haven't tried it since I don't wanna bang off my rev-limiter.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

It will upshift, no way to hold. Maybe some tuner will mod this, but not yet.

GL with your search havoc, and don't let the lack of gear holding be what stops you, it is a great car.
Mods: (All OEM) | BMW Performance CF Splitters | BMW Blackline Taillights | BMW Rear Deck Spoiler | BMW Performance Auto Shift Knob and Alcantara Boot | BMW Black Dakota Leather Split Folding Armrest | BMW Euro Fog Light Switch | BMW Style 193M Wheels | BMW Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills | BMW Front Clear Bra | BMW Performance Steering Wheel (non-elec)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc1 View Post

Thx
Get a manual if you can your problem will be solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0