E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > SGS5 or HTC M8?

05-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
SGS5 or HTC M8?

I can change my SGS4 for no additional cost. Win.

So, SGS5 or M8?

From what I can tell having had a quick play with them:

SGS5 - Better camera (rear) and display more vibrant, same shitty plastic feel as the SGS2, SGS3 and SGS4 I've had so far. Water resistant, which is a bonus - but as a result, has an annoying, fiddly tab over the usb socket which I'm pretty sure will wind me up more than the times I'll get a benefit form water resistance. Fingerprint scanner - gimmick more than functional for me. Good battery life.

HTC M8 - Looks lovely. Feels lovely. No mashable 'home' button. Camera takes more reaslistically coloured pictures. Not water resistant in any way.Interface is different from what I'm used to, but that's no great shakes.

The processor specs are pretty much identical.

Anyone got one of either or can shed any opinions of likes/annoyances of either?

Cheers
      05-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
mick_n3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Just upgraded and was stuck between S5 or M8, went for M8 and have to say I am impressed,
battery life is good with the basic battery saver turned on 24 hours + and that's using Facebook Twitter etc throughout the day.
Feels better than the S5 and now has SD card slot, photo's are crystal clear. The only negative for me so far is the volume button
I keep catching it when picking up or putting phone down, changing the ringtone volume.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I really like the HTC I must admit, but from messing around in the shop at lunch the camera on it is disappointing, and a decent camera is always one of my top priorities.

I honestly hate the SGS5 looks and the fact it feels like kids toy - and I must admit that whilst I find the UI easy to use (through familiarity), it looks very Mickey-Mouse these days.

The M.8 has a nicer UI & is in a different league in the looks/feel department. Feels like a really quality bit of kit. Like iPhone's used to before the latest rendition!

I don't know!!

What did you upgrade from, out of interest? Reason being, the SGS4 camera abilities beat the M8 according to a number of online reviews.
      05-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
mick_n3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Had Blackberry Torch which bit the dust late last year so got an S2 sim free to see me through my contract
I had made my mind up to go for the S5 looking at specs on paper
But after playing about with both in store the M8 just felt better, was nicer to use, and after a month I am still very happy with it
Camera wise after playing with the settings I find it produces good images, never going to replace my SLR but just been away for a long
weekend and left the SLR at home,
I suppose it's down to personal preference but I am more than happy with the M8,
Unless you can have both in your pocket to compare against your requirements I guess its a bit of a gamble, you are always going to
wonder if the other would do something better
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
BoondogUK
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e90

Of those two... M8 all day long. But I turned them both down for the Nexus 5
      05-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
MAN15H
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e MSport

I just got the SGS5 upgrading from the SGS3 and have to say its a great phone.
I have to agree about the flap that covers the USB charging port, it is a little annoying but I've got used to it already and as the battery life is quite good it doesn't need a daily charge.
The finger print scanner lock is actually quite good in my opinion and it works really well.
The camera is fantastic and the quality of the camcorder is stunning as its high def that coupled with the screen its just really good.
As for the case it may not seem premium compared to the M8 but I like it. It feels quite nice to hold and overall the phone doesn't look that bad.
There are a host of other features that could be useful and I'm sure I will explore them more as the days go by but overall I really like it.

I guess its quite subjective really weather you go for the M8 or S5. Both phones are very capable devices it all depends on which you like best.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Just got a new M8 last week, great phone, super slick and fast UI. Feels great.

Main problem for me is the M8 is curved on the back, not flat so it won't stay still on a desk, the standard protector is curved too, and so is the other case i bought, hard slippy plastic.

I like to use my phone with one hand while its lying flat on a desk or table, but the M8 just moves or spins around when you swipe at the screen so you can't use it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #8
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
@ DOughboy - yeah, that was something I hadn't considered actually.

I went with the SGS5. Upon reflection, it's a little heavier than the S4 and doesn't feel all that bad - I think just having it directly compared to the HTC earlier in the week may have skewed my opinion a little.

The Xperia 2 was nice, but just too big and felt awkward to hold, and I've got big hands as well. Other than that, it was looking quite promising - but I tried putting it in my trouser pocket, and it felt like I had an 8 seater dining table in there. The other let down, as that the phone has a magnetic charging port (similar to macbooks) on the side, which is for teh optional dock, but I was also looking to see if the cable provided would use this port - rather than (as with the SGS5) having to piss about with a little flap/cover thing - but You only get provided the standard microUSB cable.

The HTC was nice to hold, but would probably get scratched up quickly and also the camera is undeniably crap compared to the Xperia and the SGS5 (even my current SGS4 to fair, was better! - which is such a shame as everything else about the HTC I much preferred, but for me, a decent camera is important.
      05-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Not water resistant in any way.
Go have a look on youtube, someone put their M8 in water for an hour and it came out working fine with no issues.

As for interface well the whole point of Android is that you can change it however you want within reason. You can install any launcher etc etc

I have the Google Now launcher on my M8 and its brilliant.

I would choose the M8 every time for just the speakers alone, the front facing speakers make a massive difference when watching videos.

In terms of cameras the S5 is only slightly better from my results of taking photos in day light.

The M8 is also slightly snappier than the S5 because it doesn't have as much bloatware
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I got the S5 a couple of weekends ago. I'm really liking it actually.

I did have flashplayer and some apps that aren't available to me now.

Everything seems to have been improved over previous models, so much so there is a vast difference overall between them.

Had a look at the HTC, liked the looks more but preferred the S5.

I got the blue one which looks much better than the black or white. I still wrapped it in a case.

I went with this one.

I still don't see any benefits of 4G so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
av_guy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335D MSport Space Grey

It was a decision between the HTC M8, Sony Z2 and Samsung G5.

The HTC was winning in build and and performance.
The Sony was very modern looking and weather resistant/splash proof.
The Samsung had the best camera and I actually like the interface.

Having sampled (played) with the above, I reached a solid decision that the Samsung had to be the winner for me... it looked good, great camera, good interface (intuitive) and the battery performance is amazing at just over 3 days. This is a personal choice based on my preferences.

Summary:
  • Modern but elegant look and feel
  • Best camera
  • Good intuitive interface
  • Battery performance of nearly 3.5 days with Sync, GPS, WiFi and BT turned off (turned on when required)
  • Resale value on previous models is good, so expect the SG5 to follow suit.

Good luck
E90 LCI 335D MSport|Space Grey|Sunroof|Visibility|F&R Sensors|Leccy Fold Ext Dim Int & Ext Mirrors|Media Pack Pro|Voice & USB|DAB & DVB|HK L7|Black Leather|Leccy Seats|Lumbar & Heat|Type 313 19" Performance Pack Wheels|Trackstar|Protect & Care|Service Inclusive
Appreciate 0