F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 4 Series Technology Package -- Necessary For Playing Music From Your Phone?
proTUNING Freaks

10-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep
Drives: REDACTED

Lightbulb 4 Series Technology Package -- Necessary For Playing Music From Your Phone?

Working on getting the right option set for a 4-series order (435i with xd and 6 MT). I have a lot of audio (good quality, e.g., FLAC) that I keep on my phone -- I'd like to be able to play it from the car, either through a hard wire connection or streaming over bluetooth. If I want this functionality, do I have to order the Technology Package? If I could avoid it, I'd like to -- it's the single-most expensive package with a list of over $3k.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220
Working on getting the right option set for a 4-series order (435i with xd and 6 MT). I have a lot of audio (good quality, e.g., FLAC) that I keep on my phone -- I'd like to be able to play it from the car, either through a hard wire connection or streaming over bluetooth. If I want this functionality, do I have to order the Technology Package? If I could avoid it, I'd like to -- it's the single-most expensive package with a list of over $3k.
Nope, you need enhanced Bluetooth for streaming but you get USB connection in the center console standard

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

^ this, although if it's an iphone and you want to connect via the USB, you'll still need the enhanced BT option because the standard USB won't work.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
Nope, you need enhanced Bluetooth for streaming but you get USB connection in the center console standard
Thank you. I found BMW's description of that particular option package to be very vague so I couldn't make sense of it! Any thoughts on the Technology Package more generally? I've had nav systems in cars in the past and found myself using my phone anyway, so that's not a compelling reason to buy it; and, from your post, it isn't necessary to play music off your phone. Am I losing anything by not selecting it? It seems like an easy way to save $3k off list.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
^ this, although if it's an iphone and you want to connect via the USB, you'll still need the enhanced BT option because the standard USB won't work.

That's not good news ....
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

This is a good thread explaining all the connectivity options: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696802

I don't have Nav in my F30 and, having thought long & hard about it, will stick with the std Business Nav in my upcoming F32 M Sport (rather than pay extra for Pro Nav) because, frankly, nothing I have read suggests it's worth it. Each to their own, particularly if you value the extra screen real estate and traffic updates!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. I found BMW's description of that particular option package to be very vague so I couldn't make sense of it! Any thoughts on the Technology Package more generally? I've had nav systems in cars in the past and found myself using my phone anyway, so that's not a compelling reason to buy it; and, from your post, it isn't necessary to play music off your phone. Am I losing anything by not selecting it? It seems like an easy way to save $3k off list.
Didn't get it on my '13 328, got it on my '14 335. LOVE it. The Nav is actually quite good plus can be updated via USB. The HUD which I've always thought of as a gimmick is useful as well as being cool. The new touch idrive controller works great once you get the hang of it. Despite the cost I'd do it again. Wish tech came with the cameras, seems nickel & dime that it doesn't at that price point....

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is a good thread explaining all the connectivity options: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696802

I don't have Nav in my F30 and, having thought long & hard about it, will stick with the std Business Nav in my upcoming F32 M Sport (rather than pay extra for Pro Nav) because, frankly, nothing I have read suggests it's worth it. Each to their own, particularly if you value the extra screen real estate and traffic updates!
Thank you. Wow that's a confusing array of options. I have an iPhone 5. It sounds like I could just hook it up with the BMW Y-Cable even if I don't get the package?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get it on my '13 328, got it on my '14 335. LOVE it. The Nav is actually quite good plus can be updated via USB. The HUD which I've always thought of as a gimmick is useful as well as being cool. The new touch idrive controller works great once you get the hang of it. Despite the cost I'd do it again. Wish tech came with the cameras, seems nickel & dime that it doesn't at that price point....

I will definitely check it out in person at the dealer. I'm trying to keep my walk-out-the-door price at $60k or less and I'm going to get the M-performance engine bump which is pushing the budget because that's a $2-$3k add-on from what I understand. I've viewed avoiding the Premium Package and the Premium Package as the easiest way to stay in budget!

Last edited by ArthurKing1220; 10-11-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I will definitely check it out in person at the dealer. I'm trying to keep my walk-out-the-door price at $60k or less and I'm going to get the M-performance engine bump which is pushing the budget because that's a $2-$3k add-on from what I understand. I've viewed avoiding the Premium Package and the Convenience Package as the easiest way to stay in budget!
Spend the money for convenience. TOTALLY worth it IMHO...

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

My recommendation would be to get enhanced BT if you can. I didn't get it on my F30 (not realising what I'd be missing thanks to BMW's ridiculously confusing sales literature) and regretted it ever since. The Y-cable connectivity seems really clunky to me, for example the audio comes via the aux jack, not the USB. I also think Bluetooth audio is really convenient...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I meant the Tech. pack (enhanced bluetooth, nav, etc.) and the Premium pack (not the convenience pack -- not sure what that even is) -- I don't need XM and I can open my own trunk without waving my foot!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry I meant the Tech. pack (enhanced bluetooth, nav, etc.) and the Premium pack (not the convenience pack -- not sure what that even is) -- I don't need XM and I can open my own trunk without waving my foot!
Not just the trunk, it's REALLY convenient to be able to just grab the door handle to open plus open/close windows/sunroof w/out needing to be in the car

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
My recommendation would be to get enhanced BT if you can. I didn't get it on my F30 (not realising what I'd be missing thanks to BMW's ridiculously confusing sales literature) and regretted it ever since. The Y-cable connectivity seems really clunky to me, for example the audio comes via the aux jack, not the USB. I also think Bluetooth audio is really convenient...

Thanks. I will definitely check out the difference in-dealer; like I said earlier in the thread, I'm trying to keep my walk-out-the-door at $60k but I understand what you're saying in terms of sometimes these systems can end up feeling like more than the sum of their parts -- i.e., the integration + ease of use + things just "working" makes the price worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not just the trunk, it's REALLY convenient to be able to just grab the door handle to open plus open/close windows/sunroof w/out needing to be in the car
These conversations are how I end up spending $70k on a car. I'm trying to draw the line somewhere!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
These conversations are how I end up spending $70k on a car. I'm trying to draw the line somewhere!
My 335 with Tech, premium, sport auto, M-Sport, 19's only had a $55k USD MSRP. MPPK can be had for under $1k... Where are you spending the other $15k? (Even WITH the price premium on the 4er)

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
My 335 with Tech, premium, sport auto, M-Sport, 19's only had a $55k USD MSRP. MPPK can be had for under $1k... Where are you spending the other $15k? (Even WITH the price premium on the 4er)

These things option up like mad. Base for the xd is $48. Paint the car a standard color (500), throw in leather (1500), cold weather (700), dynamic handling (1000), lighting package (1900), and driver assistance (950) (just the basic one -- rear camera and sensor; not the crazy one with side cameras); select the premium sound (900), option a manual (no cost), option m-sport brakes (650); leave the 18s as is: you're at $57k. (Keep in mind, that's without any line selection -- no sport, luxury, m-sport, etc. Just the base.) Add in the M-performance bhp / torque bump (which I hear will be between $2k - $3k) and you're sitting at $60k MSRP. I could negotiate that down but what I've done instead in the past is get them to "throw in" the 2-year maintenance extension and cover taxes, fees, etc. That puts me right around $60k walk away price. Don't know what I would do if I had to add the tech package -- maybe sell blood on the weekends?

Last edited by ArthurKing1220; 10-11-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

These things option up like mad. Base for the xd is $48. Throw in leather, cold weather, dynamic handling, lighting package, and driver assistance (just the basic one -- rear camera and sensor; not the crazy one with side cameras); select the premium sound, option a manual (no cost), option m-sport brakes: you're at $57k. (Keep in mind, that's without any line selection -- no sport, luxury, m-sport, etc. Just the base.) Add in the M-performance bhp / torque bump (which I hear will be between $2k - $3k) and you're sitting at $60k MSRP. I could negotiate that down but what I've done instead in the past is get them to "throw in" the 2-year maintenance extension and cover taxes, fees, etc. That puts me right around $60k walk away price. Don't know what I would do if I had to add the tech package -- maybe sell blood on the weekends?
The MPPK is only $1k if its ordered. It's more expensive to have added after the fact because you'll pay the grand PLUS install & dealer mark-up. I've seen people talking about $1k-$3k USD installed after the fact but I KNOW you can get it for less ESPECIALLY if its factory rather than dealer installed. As for the other bits, I'd look at premium package as leather is included and then you're only paying $1500 difference and getting a bunch of other options. Is this a 428xd or 435?? Guess I should scroll up to see if you mentioned that in your OP

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
The MPPK is only $1k if its ordered. It's more expensive to have added after the fact because you'll pay the grand PLUS install & dealer mark-up. I've seen people talking about $1k-$3k USD installed after the fact but I KNOW you can get it for less ESPECIALLY if its factory rather than dealer installed. As for the other bits, I'd look at premium package as leather is included and then you're only paying $1500 difference and getting a bunch of other options. Is this a 428xd or 435?? Guess I should scroll up to see if you mentioned that in your OP

435xd. The M-performance add-on being only $1k if ordered would help -- I've only heard pricing through RUMOR, can't get a reliable source on it. If that was $1k as ordered, that MIGHT bring room to add in the tech although I still think I'd end up over $60k. This car, at least in the 435xd, was designed to get people to go above $60k MSRP
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

435xd. The M-performance add-on being only $1k if ordered would help -- I've only heard pricing through RUMOR, can't get a reliable source on it. If that was $1k as ordered, that MIGHT bring room to add in the tech although I still think I'd end up over $60k. This car, at least in the 435xd, was designed to get people to go above $60k MSRP
If you've got $55k, you've got $60k....

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
steve111
Rep
Drives: 328i Touring

Hang on a bit. I've got a brand new 328i Touring, and it came with the bigger screen and touchpad iDrive knob as standard, even though I didn't order them. I considered extended Bluetooth, but the dealer recommended just using the USB connection.

When I tried the Y cable with my iPhone, it didn't work properly. Connected to the USB port via the standard white Apple cable, though, it's perfect. iDrive gives full control over the music on the phone, and I even get album art on the screen. So I didn't need to spend a cent on options to get music from my phone, and I couldn't be happier with how it all works. No special packages, no special cables.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve111 View Post
Hang on a bit. I've got a brand new 328i Touring, and it came with the bigger screen and touchpad iDrive knob as standard, even though I didn't order them. I considered extended Bluetooth, but the dealer recommended just using the USB connection.

When I tried the Y cable with my iPhone, it didn't work properly. Connected to the USB port via the standard white Apple cable, though, it's perfect. iDrive gives full control over the music on the phone, and I even get album art on the screen. So I didn't need to spend a cent on options to get music from my phone, and I couldn't be happier with how it all works. No special packages, no special cables.

So you're saying just connecting an iPhone 5 via a lightning connector to the in-car USB (?in the glovebox?) has given you the full range of connectivity / functions etc.? That would be GREAT news -- that's exactly what I'm looking for and it would enable me to skip the $3k tech package.

In your understanding, is there *anything* we lose in terms of phone functionality / access to phone features by not having the Tech package? (Again, don't really care about absence of HUD or Nav and Bluetooth streaming isn't critical to me)
Appreciate 0