E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > They do come in 3s.

07-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

They do come in 3s.

My mother always use to say that bad things come in 3s. Unfortunately she was correct.

It all started Thursday afternoon. I pulled the Jeep out of the car port so I could wash and wax the 335. As I finished with the car the lady comes home and needs help bringing things inside, so I help her out and then got distracted by a few things and ended up going to bed. She wakes me up early telling me its raining hard so she closes the window to the house. Not thinking about it I go back to bed. I wake up to get ready for my day off of doing nothing and I roll over and curse. My Jeep! I left it out from the car port with only the bikini top on. Oh well, I pull the drain plugs and rip out the seats to get dried, and then later on cleaned over the weekend. Time to put the hard top back on!

July 4th. My nephew (He's 6) got a new RC car for playing really well in his golf tournament for little fellas. How nice his grandparents are. In his excitement he asks me if I would mind bringing my nitro car out for him to check out. I bought the thing for $50 and it had the right sides front suspension messed up. Broken. I spent $20 and got her all fixed. So as I'm running the buggy around the street and going through the paces (the thing hauls... maybe 45-50mph), I get to the end of the street where I turn the car around. Something happened, not sure if the servo got stuck or it was out of range, but the throttle got stuck wide open. The thing nails a trailer flips around then nails the front of a trucks tire. Breaking everything that I had just fixed along with the servos. Now I know why I never got into Nitro cars. They break all the time!!!

I wake up this morning, being a normal Monday, got up slow. Looked outside and the sky was beautiful. Couldn't have been more perfect of a day for July. I decided to take the clean ride to work today. Saw that the tires were low in front so got the compressor filled them up and backed out the drive way. Got to work safely and then was called for support at one of branch locations that I had to attend to immediately. Took the company car and off I was. While I was gone.... mother nature destroyed....

HAIL!! Golf ball size hail. Dented every panel that was visible to the sky. Hood, roof, trunk, all four doors, door trim, fenders, everything!! The hail hit so hard it broke two of the four roof rack covers right off. All the glass was fine, so I got lucky in that respect. Made a claim with my insurance today, and should be seeing somebody in the next 48hrs to look at the damage. Sad day for the bimmer.

The pictures do no justice of the damage... the car looks like a golf ball. Dimples everywhere.
Attached Images

07-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

God damn man, I do feel for you. Hail, it is actually scares the hell out of me, since there is no easy way to fix the car after. We've been getting some here as well. Gl with repairs, keep us posted.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG View Post
God damn man, I do feel for you. Hail, it is actually scares the hell out of me, since there is no easy way to fix the car after. We've been getting some here as well. Gl with repairs, keep us posted.
One thing I'm worried about. If they can pop them all out which I know some good shops that may be able to do that, then everything is fine and dandy. What scares me is if they have to pop and then repaint. I really don't want to repaint my car as it will never be the same as the original paint. If I had to paint, I might look at the idea of putting in some of my own money to get carbon fiber pieces for what can be replaced. Like the hood and trunk. The roof is so damaged it looks like the whole panel needs replacement. I don't know what they'll do on the doors and fenders.
      07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Lowcruzr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '99 Civic Si, BUB

Sorry to see that. We just had hail roll through here that did the same thing. Luckily, I had taken my beater to work that day.

Hope the insurance company takes care of you. Good luck!

Mods |Painted Kidneys|Black Lower Mesh Grills|Rho-plate|7500 GP Fogs|JB3 2.0|LED Tag Lights|Rear Fogs|And maybe some day an M3 Rear Spoiler|
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
sorry for the events...but all I hear is:

time to get a new trunk, cf roof, vrs hood, new bumpers and fenders mod haven
      07-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The fuckin sucks man... I feel your pain
      07-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Sorry to hear that man, it hurts me looking at the pictures.........If it happened to me, I'd go ape s@#$!

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

wow sorry man.. those pictures are very painful to watch...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

wow where do you live?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
A good dent remover will be a ble to fix that no problem without harming your paint.
My friend (Mgr at local BMW shop) just bought a used 135 from the auction that had hail damage and it was completely repaired without any paint issues. This 135 had 436 dents in it, it took the guy over two days to get them all out. When all said and done my friend (after selling the car) made 11,000.00 off of this car because he got it so cheap due to hail.
However, if the insurance company wants to have new panels installed, cf everything...
GL
      07-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #11
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Sorry to hear of your woes and I hope your insurance takes care of you 100% - that would really bum me out. I have to say though, I did enjoy the read...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Oh wow. I would have cried.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
sorry for the events...but all I hear is:

time to get a new trunk, cf roof, vrs hood, new bumpers and fenders mod haven
That's what I'm thinking... If they replace panels hood and trunk will be CF for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
The fuckin sucks man... I feel your pain
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
Sorry to hear that man, it hurts me looking at the pictures.........If it happened to me, I'd go ape s@#$!
I wanted too. Worst thing was I wasn't even there to see the damage. I was in another town where they got no hail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
wow sorry man.. those pictures are very painful to watch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post
wow where do you live?
New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
A good dent remover will be a ble to fix that no problem without harming your paint.
My friend (Mgr at local BMW shop) just bought a used 135 from the auction that had hail damage and it was completely repaired without any paint issues. This 135 had 436 dents in it, it took the guy over two days to get them all out. When all said and done my friend (after selling the car) made 11,000.00 off of this car because he got it so cheap due to hail.
However, if the insurance company wants to have new panels installed, cf everything...
GL
I'm hoping it comes to this. I hope they can pop out all the dents in the fendors and doors without any paint involved. The roof looks horrible, if their able to pop all those dents on top of dents I'll be impressed. I counted at least 50 dents in the hood alone and that was just picking and choosing the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Sorry to hear of your woes and I hope your insurance takes care of you 100% - that would really bum me out. I have to say though, I did enjoy the read...
I'm truly bummed... I just ordered the new Rixster gauge, joined the Helix FMIC GB and upgraded to the Rev II which should be here this week. I don't want to go driving around in a golf ball looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Oh wow. I would have cried.
Almost did..
      07-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Adjuster looked at the damage.

It came out to about $10,000 worth of damage to the car.

Hood, roof, trunk and all moldings will be replaced with new. All other side dents etc, will be poped out using the paintless dent repair. She did mention a few dents may have to be filled in with bondo and repainted. I really don't want body filler on the car. Does anyone know a way around to getting body filler put on the car?? I guess I can talk to the body shop and mention I want any panels needing body filler to be replaced with new panels, but I'm not sure if they would do that or not. Any advice???
      07-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Yah, not too sure the adjuster would know too much about the proper dent removal process. Talk to a paintless dent removal guy and see what he thinks about the one's that will need filled in with bondo. I would be cautious about asking the body guy, just in case he has ulterior motives (needs the work). I only say this because I would exhaust all options before paint.
Although, I had my front bumper repainted and you would never know it. As long as a real good body shop is contracted to do the work you should be fine either way...
GL
      07-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Bimmerdriver17
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

Jeeeeeez, that really sucks. We had some hail here in NY a couple of days ago, but luckily not around where I am in Long Island...I really feel for you.
2007 E92 6MT SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Hail is the one thing I'm afraid of. I have a car cover now, but I doubt it will protect the car from such wheather conditions...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

I once literally dove on my car to try and prevent hail damage, this was on my previous car my 1 week old G35 coupe...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Drakos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240i

Check in your area to see if there is a paintless dent repair facility. It happened to my car once and it costed me $700 CAD to do my whole car. It looked like new again.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Hail is the one thing I'm afraid of. I have a car cover now, but I doubt it will protect the car from such wheather conditions...
Well a car cover would seem to help in protecting the integrity of the paint somewhat, but it's not going to do a whole lot for the dents unless it's one of those nice, thick covers.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
It might prevent some, but your car will still get damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
I once literally dove on my car to try and prevent hail damage, this was on my previous car my 1 week old G35 coupe...
lol.. my buddy was at his house trying to throw the house rugs, mats and anything else he could find over his car to help protect it. It didn't really help that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
Check in your area to see if there is a paintless dent repair facility. It happened to my car once and it costed me $700 CAD to do my whole car. It looked like new again.
It's tough when 20,000 cars were damaged in the area. My shop can't get my car in until the end of September and then it is going to take them 3 weeks to get the car fixed. It should be back together before Halloween, but then winter comes ... Let's say it won't be back on the road until next spring once winter hits.