E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > IND Carbon Fiber Replacement Roof-Who has it, or knows anything informative about it?

10-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Exclamation IND Carbon Fiber Replacement Roof-Who has it, or knows anything informative about it?

Why hello there. My flame suit is on. So before I get trolled, please read.
My resale value has gone to shit. My car was in two minor accidents before I got it, (female driver, (no offense), minor bumper damage-nothing mechanical), not to mention I was recently side swiped, and rear ended in a parking garage . It's been babied over the years. It's time for a make over. First Bimmer and it's not going away.

I'm looking at getting the IND Carbon Fiber roof. I have a roof leak in the windshield pillar, and it's coming from the sunroof and I really want to use that as an excuse to get rid of weight. But there's a lot of positives I'm looking at including:

POSITIVES:

+Weight Reduction adding to slightly better performance including other my other mods.
+No more sunroof leaks
+Great Looks
+Etc

WHAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT:

+Yellowing of Carbon Fiber over time (After installed, should it be sprayed with clearcoat?
+What can I expect as far as installation fees?
+Will my headliner have to be replaced?
+Accident Wise-How safe is it? (My wife drives the car)

If anyone is willing to give me information on this, I'd appreciate it! I plan on installing the roof along with a lot of other mods. Thank you for the help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim M; 10-07-2012 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Anyone? Help pwrease!?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Never heard of IND. Member tsm330i or something similar had a carbon fiber roof installed, same with creaminz and another member from vietnam, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Answers:

WHAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT:

+Yellowing of Carbon Fiber over time (After installed, should it be sprayed with clearcoat? - I believe that the new piece will have plenty of clearcoat, and more than the amount on a e92 m3
+What can I expect as far as installation fees? I know VS Motorsports did one, and I think it was about 7-8 hours not 100 percent sure about that
+Will my headliner have to be replaced? - Yes, you are removing the sunroof so you will need to come up with a new headliner, i would look into getting a m3 one, might be cheaper
+Accident Wise-How safe is it? (My wife drives the car) - BMW wouldn't put it on there E92 M3 if it wasnt safe

If anyone is willing to give me information on this, I'd appreciate it! I plan on installing the roof along with a lot of other mods. Thank you for the help! [/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Never heard of IND. Member tsm330i or something similar had a carbon fiber roof installed, same with creaminz and another member from vietnam, I believe.
Never heard of IND? Whaaaat? I like them.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Never heard of IND? Whaaaat? I like them.
sorry im a newb like that. I just checked out their page. $1500 for the roof. Not bad. I just have yet to see a quality aftermarket carbon fiber piece. They all are wavy or have bad alignment etc. That is my only fear with this. They say the factory roof is 20lbs and theirs is 10lbs. Isn't the sunroof another 30lbs or so?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
Answers:

WHAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT:

+Yellowing of Carbon Fiber over time (After installed, should it be sprayed with clearcoat? - I believe that the new piece will have plenty of clearcoat, and more than the amount on a e92 m3
+What can I expect as far as installation fees? I know VS Motorsports did one, and I think it was about 7-8 hours not 100 percent sure about that
+Will my headliner have to be replaced? - Yes, you are removing the sunroof so you will need to come up with a new headliner, i would look into getting a m3 one, might be cheaper
+Accident Wise-How safe is it? (My wife drives the car) - BMW wouldn't put it on there E92 M3 if it wasnt safe

If anyone is willing to give me information on this, I'd appreciate it! I plan on installing the roof along with a lot of other mods. Thank you for the help!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks mang! I appreciate it!

Nice not to have to worry about the clear coat.

I have a shop that I'll probably have do the work. They've always given me good price ranges for work, so I'll stick with them.

I read in science class a few years back that carbon fiber is 50% stronger than steel, or something like that, (as far as rigidity), so that makes sense.

Do they make a headliner without a sunroof? Thanks!

If anyone knows anything else, that would be greatly helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners_Mate View Post

Do they make a headliner without a sunroof? Thanks!

If anyone knows anything else, that would be greatly helpful!
It appears as they do:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...liner&_sacat=0

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Lol, thanks! The only reason I asked is because once again I couldn't find the part number, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol, thanks! The only reason I asked is because once again I couldn't find the part number, lol.
If only there was one for sale in the US, lol. Shipping would be garbage from that distance, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If only there was one for sale in the US, lol. Shipping would be garbage from that distance, lol.
I don't know. It might not be too bad. I had an mtech bumper shipped from there for about $100 or so. Not really bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know. It might not be too bad. I had an mtech bumper shipped from there for about $100 or so. Not really bad at all.
Thanks man! I'll have to send an inquiry.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

this guy has it, ask him for some input. Looks absolutely amazing

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553023
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #14
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I got mine done by LTMW. It has been almost an year, still holding up like it looked on day one. You save about 60lbs including the sunroof. I used OEM E90 M3 headliner, sunvisor & ect.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #15
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
I got mine done by LTMW. It has been almost an year, still holding up like it looked on day one. You save about 60lbs including the sunroof. I used OEM E90 M3 headliner, sunvisor & ect.
60 lbs at the absolute worst spot on the car, too Plus, it looks awesome, and thats probably the only way to justify the cost
      10-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Tim M
Just a regular guy.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
60 lbs at the absolute worst spot on the car, too Plus, it looks awesome, and thats probably the only way to justify the cost
Haha! So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
That makes me feel so much better about having it installed. I think I'm gonna go for it!
Appreciate 0