E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > INSTALLED: M3 bits (bushings, front/rear arms & sways) + BMW perf springs/v1 dampers

03-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Do you know what the difference is, if any, betweeen the dampers from the v1 performance kit and the ones that now come with the v2 kit?
The guys at Tischer said the the V2 kit has slightly stiffer springs and slightly stiffer dampers than the V1.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW
PARTS:
For a long time I've gathered the M3 bits, and after careful consideration (see here) I added an upgraded spring & shock combo. Below is what went on the car:
  • M3 Front Wishbone Set
  • M3 Front Tension Strut Set
  • M3 Aluminum Rear Guide Rod Set
  • M3 Aluminum Rear Wishbone Set
  • M3 Front Sway Bar Kit
  • M3 Rear Sway Bar Kit
  • M3 Rear Subframe Bushings
  • BMW Performance Springs (yellows) with correctly paired bumpstops (part of the v2 kit)
  • BMW Performance Dampers (v1 kit)
All except the bushings & bumpstops were used. For the record: M3 bits had 3.5-4k miles on them, dampers & springs were luckyu's and had 7150 & 5080 miles, respectively. A big thanks to cvc for digging up the part numbers & a supplier for the bumpstops.

JOB:
I had the job done at a local shop (review here). There is plenty of info on this forum about these parts so I'm not going to add to it. What I am going to add is something I could not find anywhere and had to dig into TIS to extract for this job: parts that need to be replaced + the torque specs.

Find this info attached. And if you think giving these parts to your mechanic will get you the proper torque & all the correct parts replaced I think there is a good chance you are fooling yourself: It takes too much time to dig this info up for every nut & bolt, so I insisted to be there for the whole job exactly for this reason - to make this possible, to look stuff up and make available. Now I know I have everything installed correctly.

After the install the alignment - esp the toe - was so out-of-whack that the car felt as if it rolled on eggs. You would turn the steering wheel a bit, the car would plunge wholeheartedly into the turn and you had to force it back under control. I went straight to have my alignment done, which made it driveable again.

+ a note: all the parts we took off - all were in great condition. We did not find any loose or stuck or damaged screws or nuts, and there was not even a small leak on the dampers @ 72k miles. All the control arm bushings looked ok, with no tears or damages. I think BMW really deserves credit for this in terms of a quality car & build.

IMPRESSIONS:
On first impression it felt really harsh. I am used to a hard suspension but this really felt rough. Turns out the miserable roads on the East side of town, combined with my tires inflated for over 100mph (35/41 psi), were to blame. Possibly the switch from all-season RFT 17's to summer non-RFT 18 might have helped too... too many variables. Anyway, after setting pressure back to stock 32/35 psi things are back to normal.

After the roughness was gone I was finally able to see if may main objectives were met: reduce body roll, and more importantly lose the feeling I get when turning at higher speeds - that I might be sliding and losing control. It was a very unsettling feeling, felt like a part of the car was having a different dynamic then the rest of the car. Best I can described it is: oh-sh*t-I-think-I'll-lose-it feeling. And it got worse when I hit joints in the road, as I would wonder on each if I'll regain traction or slide out. It is not what I was expecting from a BMW. Happened on both my summer performance non-RFT's 18's and my "winter" all-season RFT 17's.

Well, I happy to report: objectives met ! Even with the sh#tty wet weather we had since, the car finally feels worthy of the BMW name, or least what I was imagining it to be.

There is a massive reduction in body roll that I attribute mostly to the bars, with the shock+springs helping too. And it is a very balanced handling not a sudden change from feeling understeer to oversteer or vice-versa. It's really a perfect balance, no chasing steering feel.

As for the 2nd objective - oh jeez, the car at last feels as if it's one piece with everything solid, planted, and working in unison. All parts feel connected and predictable, and it makes for a pleasurable drive. No more doubting the outcome of a turn.

BONUS:
On top of all this, the suspension feels more comfortable then the previous OEM sport suspension the car came with. I attribute this to the notoriously under-dampened sport dampers, so while the springs are now stiffer, because the dampers really slow the oscillation down you don't just thunk when a road event happens (bump or pothole), you actually get a gradual amortization of the wheel movement, not a free bang. I really think the sport suspension was a poser.

Lastly, as this is getting ridiculously long: on my commute, right before the Vista Ridge tunnel the road is really harsh and the vibrations get transmitted to the inside of the car quite intensely. Well, this morning I did not feel these vibrations reverberating everywhere in the car. Wow !

I have to think that I am probably in a bit of an owe because of all the upgrades I had put in at once. So maybe in time I will, like others, find things that could be improved, but as of right now it feels really great. The only thing I noticed is that I get a little more steering pull, but I'm not yet sure if it a case of tramlining or torque steer. Next project ? - likely...
What you did with your car is almost exactly what I originally planned for my '11 335d. In the end I put different springs and dampers and added a Quaife LSD. Glad you are pleased with your results. You are right in that when you do a lot at once, it is hard to sort out what piece causes what.
Appreciate 0