E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Blowing Giant FIREBALLS after tune!

09-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #45
adventr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan 6AT

Ok, need to update this one last time before I finally go to bed
Excuse my 3:30 am rambling..

I completely removed the Cobb from the car. Trans was still showing 3rd gear upon takeoff.
Got pissed off and just said screw it and started driving home.
Within 1 mile, the trans issue had fixed itself and it would now take off in 1st and do all of the usual shifting.

What does this tell me?
The Cobb may not actually communicate with the TCM, but it seems like it does reset the trans adaptation or something like that. I am willing to bet that this happens on ALL Cobb tuned BMW when switching maps or loading new tunes.

Why did I notice it so much? Well, with the Alpina trans flash, it actually shows you what gear that the transmission is in. Even with it in "drive". Yeah, you can tell that the car is taking off really softly (starting in 3rd gear), but with that number 3 staring you in the face it's much more noticeable. Lol

So in conclusion, I am able to drive the car after switching maps. I just have to drive a little ways for the trans to relearn what all it needs to do.

Oh, and NO breaking up on the way home with the stock PPK tune...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #46
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated as well, it's very difficult to get the car running just right. I've been screwing around with my tune for like 3 weeks and I'm still having trouble. I like the idea of the flash but once I'm out of the original warranty and my maintenance plan is up I would consider a JB4. I learned a lot and don't regret the time I spent on it but autotuning + meth integration sounds really tempting.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
Yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated as well, it's very difficult to get the car running just right. I've been screwing around with my tune for like 3 weeks and I'm still having trouble. I like the idea of the flash but once I'm out of the original warranty and my maintenance plan is up I would consider a JB4. I learned a lot and don't regret the time I spent on it but autotuning + meth integration sounds really tempting.

No doubt. Autotune would be excellent compared to what we're doing right now. LOL

Wish I would've went that route from the get-go.

Had planned on getting a Pro-Tune, as Cobb in Ft. Worth is only like 5hrs from me, but figured I could at least run an OTS map for a few days to try it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #48
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

I'm looking for an N55 Cobb to supplement my JB4 tune. If you end up wanting to sell it, let me know.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #49
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventr View Post
And of course. Screwed up the trans programming again.
You put the car in Drive, and it only stays in 3rd gear. Even taking off.

Hoping that completely removing the Cobb will at least fix the trans...
Huh, I've had zero issues with my transmission and I have the alpina flash as well. I've installed, uninstalled, and changed maps at least 20 times. That's very strange but so is shooting fireballs out of your exhaust The throttle closures are normal for the OTS maps though. There's a big thread somewhere in this N55 section about it which is why I got my pro tune. Now I have no issues and the car runs just how I want it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #50
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Try bringing the following table closer to stock mapping. I'm not sure exactly what it's multiplying but lowering it will lower boost overall for the MAF requested g/s. This is mine currently, I'm getting minimal throttle closures now, if you still have them, bring it down a little more.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  38.9 KB

Basically I think what happens is that when you raise timing and don't raise load limits you end up reaching higher actual loads and overshoot requested. You could probably go back to the stg 2 aggressive and raise the load ceiling, modeled torque limit and torque request ceiling, and play around with that table I attached
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #51
ryanakata
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i AT

Quote:
I promise you a JB4 is so incredibly easy to install and remove. I pulled mine out last night to update to ISO firmware, had it in and out in probably 15 minutes. For a trip to the dealer it would require removing the harness, but even that would be another 15 minutes or so.

I have nothing but good things to say about mine/
      09-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #52
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, guys seem to have good results with the backend flash stacked with the JB4. I think most of my issues are because I'm overdue for spark plugs, which I just ordered. Pretty sure I'm misfiring, no codes but it's definitely more than just a throttle closure. Those I'm confident I can work out myself. For the brief period where the car was running well I was more than content with power levels, we all know that feeling doesn't last long though..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #53
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Guess I need to update this thread again!

I woke up yesterday morning still frustrated from the night before, but I still had some hope left.

Scrapped the tune that I was running, and just started off with the Stg2+ Aggressive. Went and did a log, and found exactly where throttle closure was happening.

Started dropping values in the WGDC Base table, and after a couple revisions to the tune, got most of the throttle closures out of it.

Then I tossed in a couple degrees more timing (still 0 corrections across the board), and then more throttle closures.

Spent a couple tunes reducing those, and it was fine while it was still warm out. Soon as it cooled down, more throttle closures.

So, I decided to load the regular Stg2 Aggressive tune (NOT for FMIC), and did a couple logs. No throttle closures. Cool.

I opened up my last revised tune, as well as that Stg2 Aggressive tune, and compared the differences in the WGDC Base tables. BIG DIFFERENCES.
So basically I pulled 6-7% out of my table across the board (on top of what I'd already removed). Still need to datalog this tune, but it feels pretty good so far.

I'm getting there, but it takes some time.

Oh, and I figured out the trans tune issue. If after I flash with the Cobb, I shut ignition off and lock my doors for 15min, there are no problems!
If you don't wait 15min, then you have to drive the car a few hundred feet in 3rd gear before it fixes itself. Weird, I know.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #54
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Try bringing the following table closer to stock mapping. I'm not sure exactly what it's multiplying but lowering it will lower boost overall for the MAF requested g/s. This is mine currently, I'm getting minimal throttle closures now, if you still have them, bring it down a little more.

Attachment 1087860

Basically I think what happens is that when you raise timing and don't raise load limits you end up reaching higher actual loads and overshoot requested. You could probably go back to the stg 2 aggressive and raise the load ceiling, modeled torque limit and torque request ceiling, and play around with that table I attached

That makes sense about the timing. Because I can tune out throttle closures, and as soon as I add a little bit of timing, they come right back.

So, do you think I could add timing AND raise the load limits? Haven't played around with those at all.

Overall on my current tune, I'm still pretty conservative. 0 timing corrections across the board with E40, and the DME is actually pulling ~7% fuel in the top end.
AFRs around 11.4

The car takes off like a rocket when its not running into the throttle closures. If you're not going completely straight when you punch it in third, the rear tires start breaking free.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #55
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That makes sense about the timing. Because I can tune out throttle closures, and as soon as I add a little bit of timing, they come right back.

So, do you think I could add timing AND raise the load limits? Haven't played around with those at all.

Overall on my current tune, I'm still pretty conservative. 0 timing corrections across the board with E40, and the DME is actually pulling ~7% fuel in the top end.
AFRs around 11.4

The car takes off like a rocket when its not running into the throttle closures. If you're not going completely straight when you punch it in third, the rear tires start breaking free.
I think that's exactly what you need to do. Lower the WGDC as needed, raise the load limits and up timing. There's really nothing left in the turbo with the stg 2+ aggressive maps, timing is the only way we'll make more power, especially on the top end of the rev range. Your car must feel ridiculous, you were hitting 190+ load targets.. Best I got was ~180 until the spark issues ruined my fun. I think each 10 points of load is good for about 25-30 HP if you do the math from the "Load to Torque limit" table, which is really just a lookup table.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #56
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Check this log out. Pretty happy with my AG-6 tune. This was in 85 degree weather though, so I'm betting that it's going to have throttle closures tonight when it cools off...

This was 3rd gear. Tires were just barely slipping the entire time it felt like.

191.9 Actual Load
20.1 PSI
0 Timing Corrections
4.4 Degrees Advance
STFT @ -12%

Wish it would run like this ALL the time!

Full Log here: http://www.datazap.me/u/adventr/aggr...12-14-15-16-17

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #57
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Very nice! I bet you could advance timing even more if you lower the AFR to 11.5 or so, 12 is actually relatively lean for 50% ethanol. Just going down half a point cleaned up a lot of corrections for me. My plugs are also shot as I mentioned so it may not have as dramatic of an effect but it's easy to try.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #58
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

and I'm just sitting here waiting for videos of exhaust boom...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #59
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92Msport View Post
and I'm just sitting here waiting for videos of exhaust boom...

Get ya a Cobb V3 and I'll send you a tune that blows fire.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #60
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

So I made some changes in anticipation of the cooler air at night. I also added some more timing, and set my AFR a bit richer.

Here's what happened:

197.9 Actual Load
20.4 PSI
0 Timing Corrections
6.2 Degrees Advance
STFT @ -16%
AFR - 11.75

Needless to say, it runs even stronger than the last time. Judging by the logs, there's still more left in it too...

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #61
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

There's a track day at the drag strip this coming Saturday. I'd like to go back and see what this thing runs after all of these mods and a tune (was hitting 13.3 nearly stock).

Weather for Saturday is supposed to be the coolest that we've had all year, with highs in the middle 60s.

Here's where I need help. I'd like to drop the boost levels down, as I feel it will throttle cut like crazy with those cool air temps. Basically, I'd like to run LESS boost and MORE timing to get the same amount of power as I'm getting right now.
Running a E40 or E50 blend should allow me quite a lot of timing I would think.

However........... I don't really know WHAT to change in ATR to get the results that I'm wanting.
Can someone point me in the right direction??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #62
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Try adjusting that boost limit multiplier table I posted the other day, Start with 2.7 across the board and see where you end up. Or just copy from the stock mapping. file -> revert to stock map. Log MAF requested G/S and see where it needs to be lowered. You can also adjust the horizontal axis if you're pulling in more than the 358 g/s.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #63
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Try adjusting that boost limit multiplier table I posted the other day, Start with 2.7 across the board and see where you end up. Or just copy from the stock mapping. file -> revert to stock map. Log MAF requested G/S and see where it needs to be lowered. You can also adjust the horizontal axis if you're pulling in more than the 358 g/s.

Yeah, I pull that table down a few points each time I bump the timing. I made another revision to my Map last night before I went to bed. Added another degree of timing and lowered that map, as well as corrected a couple small things.

Tried it out this morning, and WOW. I haven't had a chance to review the log yet, but it's awesome. I think if I can keep this same map with cooler air temps (it was 70 degrees this morning), it's going to run great at the track.

I noticed that one of the Torque Limit tables basically has Power By Gear functionality (or at least it looks that way to me). Have you ever played around with that?
I think it would be beneficial if I could lower the power in 1st gear, and have it come on strong in 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #64
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I pull that table down a few points each time I bump the timing. I made another revision to my Map last night before I went to bed. Added another degree of timing and lowered that map, as well as corrected a couple small things.

Tried it out this morning, and WOW. I haven't had a chance to review the log yet, but it's awesome. I think if I can keep this same map with cooler air temps (it was 70 degrees this morning), it's going to run great at the track.

I noticed that one of the Torque Limit tables basically has Power By Gear functionality (or at least it looks that way to me). Have you ever played around with that?
I think it would be beneficial if I could lower the power in 1st gear, and have it come on strong in 2nd.
I never really get on it from a standstill so I haven't had traction problems, hopefully I will once I get the new plugs in. I do believe the table works exactly as you would expect it to.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #65
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:

Oh, and I figured out the trans tune issue. If after I flash with the Cobb, I shut ignition off and lock my doors for 15min, there are no problems!
If you don't wait 15min, then you have to drive the car a few hundred feet in 3rd gear before it fixes itself. Weird, I know.
Glad you were able to figure that out. I always wondered why they said to turn the car completely off and back on after a flash.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #66
adventr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Glad you were able to figure that out. I always wondered why they said to turn the car completely off and back on after a flash.

Yeah, I'm glad that I figured it out too! Was only due to the fact that I HAD to drive it (even if it was in some kind of limp mode) after a flash, that I did actually figure it out.

Also, the Cobb does say to shut the ignition off to complete the flash, BUT it doesn't say that this needs to be for at least 15min.

Overall, there is a definite lack of info out there for these issues. Hoping that this will help someone down the line when they're freaking out like I was. LOL
Appreciate 0