E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > coding complete!

08-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

coding complete!

I've been looking to get coding done for a while now but haven't found many in the area that offer the service, so I decided to learn how to do it myself

The software is set up and I've added nearly every coding option so far, including the key fob window/sunroof close, corner delete, increasing the AE brightness, and flashing the alpina b3 transmission software for us AT guys. The changes are a huge improvement over stock and it's been a fun learning process along the way. Feel free to ask if you need any help getting the software running or would like me to code some items for you!

R
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Hadley
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
That's awesome man

How much brighter can you get the angel eyes? I recently got a set of lux and think they can be a little brighter
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Think you could shoot me a PM sometime detailing how you learned? I'm a tech guy by nature with a good deal of systems and programming experience, but whenever I've looked into BMW coding there's been a mishmash of conflicting information. Lots of "oh, use this, do this" without any explanation of what it's doing, how it's working, what the underlying systems are, etc. I wish I could get a part time job at a dealership as a tech guy just to learn how to do it properly the OEM way.
      08-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

I'd like to get into this also. Super encouraging to hear success, especially local. I'll echo dwells' sentiment that even with my programming experience the lack of unified information has always been my concern.

Cable recommend is a good start
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Hope to buy a cable soon, and start the learning process.

The AE brightness adjustment is possible? I was worried based on threads, that it was only available on the M3s. If you're around the city and could meet up, It would be great to have a few things coded and watch the procedure. I work in Back Bay but can meet anywhere around if I know to drive in.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I did exactly the same. I read up on it for a few hours, ordered my cable from eBay for $28 and went to work(Alpina, iDrive, etc.). I even got an alarm and coded that. My laptop really sucks but it got the job done

Good feeling isn't it It really isn't as hard as you'd think.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Eff it, needed this to get enthusiastic about coding. Just bought the cable. Should be here by Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley View Post
That's awesome man

How much brighter can you get the angel eyes? I recently got a set of lux and think they can be a little brighter
Unfortunately, increasing the brightness on the AEs only works on halogens. LEDs run a much lower voltage and overdriving the circuit would cause more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Think you could shoot me a PM sometime detailing how you learned? I'm a tech guy by nature with a good deal of systems and programming experience, but whenever I've looked into BMW coding there's been a mishmash of conflicting information. Lots of "oh, use this, do this" without any explanation of what it's doing, how it's working, what the underlying systems are, etc. I wish I could get a part time job at a dealership as a tech guy just to learn how to do it properly the OEM way.
Yeah, information out there is pretty difficult to sift through. I spent a lot of time researching before I decided to dive in. I'll send you a PM to get you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkexige View Post
I'd like to get into this also. Super encouraging to hear success, especially local. I'll echo dwells' sentiment that even with my programming experience the lack of unified information has always been my concern.

Cable recommend is a good start
Here's the cable that many recommend: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

The other cables tend to have higher failure rates. Although it's more expensive than its Ebay counterparts, the comfort in knowing it's not going to take a dump on you in the middle of a flash and brick the car is worth the added investment, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Hope to buy a cable soon, and start the learning process.

The AE brightness adjustment is possible? I was worried based on threads, that it was only available on the M3s. If you're around the city and could meet up, It would be great to have a few things coded and watch the procedure. I work in Back Bay but can meet anywhere around if I know to drive in.
The AEs can be adjusted to disable dimming when the low/high beam are activated and nettodat coding can be used to apply a higher voltage to the bulbs. It's not only M3 specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
I did exactly the same. I read up on it for a few hours, ordered my cable from eBay for $28 and went to work(Alpina, iDrive, etc.). I even got an alarm and coded that. My laptop really sucks but it got the job done

Good feeling isn't it It really isn't as hard as you'd think.
Glad to see another local coder! It's definitely something that can be learned, just takes some diligence in sorting it all out. As an added benefit, my German is definitely improving
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Eff it, needed this to get enthusiastic about coding. Just bought the cable. Should be here by Wednesday.
Let me know if you need any questions along the way!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Let me know how it goes, just bought my cable yesterday, went with this http://bit.ly/17Pc9uR had good reviews over the forum just need BT cable now.

I will be posting in here if I need some help, can u code out TPMS?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Nice Rob!
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
Let me know how it goes, just bought my cable yesterday, went with this http://bit.ly/17Pc9uR had good reviews over the forum just need BT cable now.

I will be posting in here if I need some help, can u code out TPMS?
Yes, I can do TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
Nice Rob!
Thanks! Still haven't got around to installing the suspension though lol
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandroad83 View Post
Bought from that exact listing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Great to see more people getting into coding. It's actually really simple once you get the hang of it. I bought my cable way back and just kinda learned along the way. Did a Sirius radio retrofit and was proud that I did it with $200 instead of the $1600 the dealer wanted to charge me.

I was looking thru this and I saw that you can code out TPMS? I was reading a little about it and figured it would be as simple as taking that option out of the VO.. But people say that doesn't work. What did you have to code to get the TPMS coded out?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice Rob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Great to see more people getting into coding. It's actually really simple once you get the hang of it. I bought my cable way back and just kinda learned along the way. Did a Sirius radio retrofit and was proud that I did it with $200 instead of the $1600 the dealer wanted to charge me.

I was looking thru this and I saw that you can code out TPMS? I was reading a little about it and figured it would be as simple as taking that option out of the VO.. But people say that doesn't work. What did you have to code to get the TPMS coded out?
What have you tried so far? Taking out $2VB from the VO is only one step in the process. This is what I did:

-Remove tpms fuse
-Remove $2VB from VO on CAS/NFRM
-Recode CAS/DSC/NFRM/CAAPL/KOMBI
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Good work Rob! might have to meet up wioth you soon for some coding!
      08-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
nyc_ymb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f82

Take some pics of your angels please!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
SM335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

I'd be down to get some things coded from a fellow fanatic
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr
Quote:
Nice Rob!
Quote:

What have you tried so far? Taking out $2VB from the VO is only one step in the process. This is what I did:

-Remove tpms fuse
-Remove $2VB from VO on CAS/NFRM
-Recode CAS/DSC/NFRM/CAAPL/KOMBI
How did you recode the last modules?

I know how to code things on/out of the VO but no idea what you mean by recoding those modules?

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Got my cable in yesterday. Was rushing to install all of the software, and go through the PDF of instructions... come to find out Win7 64bit is not supported. FML.

Grabbing an old XP laptop and redoing this.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
cyphr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by branabolic View Post
Good work Rob! might have to meet up wioth you soon for some coding!
Thanks, Brandon. Let me know what works for you and I'll get you squared away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uj81117 View Post
Take some pics of your angels please!
Car is under the knife but will take some pics soon. I'm not too sure how helpful it will be though. It's difficult to judge AE brightness accurately from photos since camera settings, ambient light, direction of light, angle of photo, all play into how "bright" they seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM335i View Post
I'd be down to get some things coded from a fellow fanatic
PM'd.

Quote:
How did you recode the last modules?

I know how to code things on/out of the VO but no idea what you mean by recoding those modules?
Sorry that bit was unclear. If you read from CAS then "SG_Codieren" each module it should recode them back to default. If you previously applied any changes to these modules you will have to code those changes in again afterwards.

Quote:
Got my cable in yesterday. Was rushing to install all of the software, and go through the PDF of instructions... come to find out Win7 64bit is not supported. FML.

Grabbing an old XP laptop and redoing this.
Win 7 64bit is supported with the newest software.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Island Road
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post

Win 7 64bit is supported with the newest software.
x 2 just installed everything under Win 7 64bit

I followed this guide, relativity easy so far have not installed cable drivers yet though. Now its just a matter of ok What next, whats are the good things to mod/ change def TPMS and also injector coding ect. It is a little daunting at first lots to do.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859474

Last edited by Island Road; 08-20-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0