E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Getting into detailing...rate/suggest my product choice

06-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Getting into detailing...rate/suggest my product choice

Hey guys, I'm finally getting into the detailing scene. Anyways I got my Porter Cable 7424xp and some pads the other week and after some research I've compiled my first cart that I'm ready to purchase. Would like your input as well. My paint is in pretty good condition so I feel like an aggressive polish isn't necessary.

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant - 16 oz
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - 8 oz
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss - 16 oz
Lake Country Snappy Clean Boost Pad Cleaner
Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax - 8 oz or Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax 16oz (double the size yet cheaper)
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 500ml Kit

Anyone have experience with the Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax? Better choice than the Poorboy's?

Detailed image can also throw in a clay bar kit with a purchase over $65. I'm guessing this can't stack with the E90post discount code.

Regardless, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Game; 06-13-2013 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

4 white lake country flat 5.5 inch pads for M205. Get Duragloss 901/902 instead of CG wash n gloss. People still have problems with it removing and or weakening wax at 1oz to 5 gallons. Can't comment on the snappy clean boost pad cleaner. I have never heard of anyone using it. Even though Menz color lock is twice the size, a paste wax will last you a lot longer if you apply in thin coats. I don't use wheel cleaners anymore except for 1-2 times per year because I put 2 coats of paint sealant on them. I would get the stuff from Autogeek instead. They run much better sales than Detailed Image. Every 2-3 weeks there is a 15% sale + free shipping.
      06-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I like all choices apart from the Poorboys wax. You already have a sealant (Menzerna Power Lock) which looks absolutely amazing. Unless you REALLY want to top it with a wax, look at other waxes. What is your budget?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
4 white lake country flat 5.5 inch pads for M205. Get Duragloss 901/902 instead of CG wash n gloss. People still have problems with it removing and or weakening wax at 1oz to 5 gallons. Can't comment on the snappy clean boost pad cleaner. I have never heard of anyone using it. Even though Menz color lock is twice the size, a paste wax will last you a lot longer if you apply in thin coats. I don't use wheel cleaners anymore except for 1-2 times per year because I put 2 coats of paint sealant on them. I would get the stuff from Autogeek instead. They run much better sales than Detailed Image. Every 2-3 weeks there is a 15% sale + free shipping.
Thanks again Otruba. Autogeek doesn't have any current deals going on since their Father's Day except for a buffer sale, sucks I just got mine the other week. DI has the Menzerna power lock is $10 cheaper right now. The free clay kit is also about $20 of free product.
      06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I like all choices apart from the Poorboys wax. You already have a sealant (Menzerna Power Lock) which looks absolutely amazing. Unless you REALLY want to top it with a wax, look at other waxes. What is your budget?
I was thinking around $30. I know you recommend the Swissvax but I really can't spend/justify that kind of money haha. If you don't think I need the wax then I could definitely spend the money elsewhere. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.
      06-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
I was thinking around $30. I know you recommend the Swissvax but I really can't spend/justify that kind of money haha. If you don't think I need the wax then I could definitely spend the money elsewhere. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply.
For $30, get the EZ Detail wheel brush. You will thank me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
For $30, get the EZ Detail wheel brush. You will thank me.
The Daytona speedmaster will last you longer though.
      06-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
The Daytona speedmaster will last you longer though.
They are actually one and the same.

Hi Chris,

Yes, they are the same except the color. They are both made with the same high end materials.

We are planning on making a "car" label. When it is available we will let you know.

Thank you,
Christina Henderson
EZ Products, Inc.
866-631-8488
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
jslym777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

honestly adding some dawn to your wash bucket will help remove waxes, residue for a fresh detail. just make sure its very sudsy
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
jslym777
Private First Class
Rep

get the collinite insulator wax, if youre starting out it is very durable and is easy to use. 5.5 inch pads. quality wash mitts. quality microfibers. get something other than M205 if you arent also getting a compound, something like menzerna power finish, xmt 360, or alike.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm finally getting into the detailing scene. Anyways I got my Porter Cable 7424xp and some pads the other week and after some research I've compiled my first cart that I'm ready to purchase. Would like your input as well. My paint is in pretty good condition so I feel like an aggressive polish isn't necessary.

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant - 16 oz
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - 8 oz
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss - 16 oz
Lake Country Snappy Clean Boost Pad Cleaner
Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax - 8 oz or Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax 16oz (double the size yet cheaper)
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 500ml Kit

Anyone have experience with the Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba Wax? Better choice than the Poorboy's?

Detailed image can also throw in a clay bar kit with a purchase over $65. I'm guessing this can't stack with the E90post discount code.

Regardless, what do you guys think?
I would recommend Menzerna SF 4000 or BlackFire SRC Finishing Polish over Meg 205 as a light polish. Both product will cut a notch below that of a true medium polish. Low dust and long work cycle are 2 more reasons why I like them.

You should consider adding Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 as a medium polish since no one really know if a light polish would take out your current defects on the vehicle (without doing a test spot). Merzerna SIP (SI1500) is a great alternative.

A quick detailer is great to have as a drying aid and as a LSP booster between washes. CG V07 or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate.

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss is what I use if I am to lay down a new layer of LSP. Menzerna Power Lock sealant is pretty stout. At 1oz (CG W&G) to 5 gallons would not degrade PowerLock. However, Ultima Paint Guard Wash is awesome as a maintenance wash. It rinse clear and super slippery.

Snappy Clean is a great solution to cleaning your pads. I use this or the Detailer's Polishing Pad Rejuvenator. They are the same product. A must have if you use a pad washer.

I am with Otruba_843 when it comes to wheel cleaners on my personal vehicles but CG Diablo is my cleaner of choice for maintenance. For the rough/tough jobs, I use Optium Power Clean or CG Grime Reaper. For the really-really bad ones, I break out CarPro Trix or IronX then Meg D140 Wheel Brightener as a last resort. Another alternate to the Brushes is the Wheel Woolies. I have both the Daytona Brushes and the Wheel Woolies. They both work great. The woolies tend to splash much less.

I am not a wax guy but a strong proponent of sealants and coatings. So...my answer will naturally be Menzerna Power Lock sealant, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond, or JetSeal. Spray Sealants....CarPro Hydr02 or Reload. As for Coatings..... CQuartz, Opti-coat, or GTechnig EXO. ALMOST FORGOT....Colinite 845 ( I really don't know how to classify this product since it's a sealant/wax hybrid).

One thing you didn't mention is Towels. My favorites are CarPro BOA or Panda. Cobra Gold Plush Jr is a good alternate. Don't use the cheap Costco type on your paint.

Free product is nice but I prefer free shipping + % off any day.
      06-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

First off, thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. Lots of points here. I should have started by saying that I would like to keep the cart at DetailedImage about about $100. I also have $20 in store credit from AutoGeek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
I would recommend Menzerna SF 4000 or BlackFire SRC Finishing Polish over Meg 205 as a light polish. Both product will cut a notch below that of a true medium polish. Low dust and long work cycle are 2 more reasons why I like them.
You prefer a long work cycle? I figure the quicker the product absorbs in the better. However I will look into the SF 4000. I notice there's a pretty large discrepancy in price.

Quote:
You should consider adding Sonax Perfect Finish 4/6 as a medium polish since no one really know if a light polish would take out your current defects on the vehicle (without doing a test spot). Merzerna SIP (SI1500) is a great alternative.
My paint is actually in pretty good condition. I don't feel like a medium polish is necessary. I guess I should really hold a spot light to it and see what I'm really dealing with.

Quote:
A quick detailer is great to have as a drying aid and as a LSP booster between washes. CG V07 or Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ Concentrate.

CG Citrus Wash & Gloss is what I use if I am to lay down a new layer of LSP. Menzerna Power Lock sealant is pretty stout. At 1oz (CG W&G) to 5 gallons would not degrade PowerLock. However, Ultima Paint Guard Wash is awesome as a maintenance wash. It rinse clear and super slippery.
I actually love Meguiar's quick detailer. Always brought me great results.

Do you feel like the citrus wash is necessary if it's used primarily as stripper? Do you like the Dawn method?

Quote:
Snappy Clean is a great solution to cleaning your pads. I use this or the Detailer's Polishing Pad Rejuvenator. They are the same product. A must have if you use a pad washer.

I am with Otruba_843 when it comes to wheel cleaners on my personal vehicles but CG Diablo is my cleaner of choice for maintenance. For the rough/tough jobs, I use Optium Power Clean or CG Grime Reaper. For the really-really bad ones, I break out CarPro Trix or IronX then Meg D140 Wheel Brightener as a last resort. Another alternate to the Brushes is the Wheel Woolies. I have both the Daytona Brushes and the Wheel Woolies. They both work great. The woolies tend to splash much less.

I am not a wax guy but a strong proponent of sealants and coatings. So...my answer will naturally be Menzerna Power Lock sealant, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond, or JetSeal. Spray Sealants....CarPro Hydr02 or Reload. As for Coatings..... CQuartz, Opti-coat, or GTechnig EXO. ALMOST FORGOT....Colinite 845 ( I really don't know how to classify this product since it's a sealant/wax hybrid).

One thing you didn't mention is Towels. My favorites are CarPro BOA or Panda. Cobra Gold Plush Jr is a good alternate. Don't use the cheap Costco type on your paint.

Free product is nice but I prefer free shipping + % off any day.
I notice you didn't mention anything about claying. I feel like the kit that comes with a claybar, Poorboy's World Spray, and a container for the clay is actually a pretty good gift. Besides, Autogeek nor DI have any sort of free shipping plus % off deals.
      06-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
jslym777
Private First Class
Rep

like i said, menzerna power finish, collinite insulator wax, some dawn, quality wash mitts, microfibers, keeping your budget
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
First off, thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. Lots of points here. I should have started by saying that I would like to keep the cart at DetailedImage about about $100. I also have $20 in store credit from AutoGeek.

You prefer a long work cycle? I figure the quicker the product absorbs in the better. However I will look into the SF 4000. I notice there's a pretty large discrepancy in price.

It is not always about speed. A product with a long work cycle generally finish down better. When you are using a light polish, you are essentially refining the finish. This is one aspect of polishing that is.... you have be slow to go fast. It will be a different story if I am compounding.

My paint is actually in pretty good condition. I don't feel like a medium polish is necessary. I guess I should really hold a spot light to it and see what I'm really dealing with.

Yes. You should. Without seeing your car in person, I am making assumptions. "Good" is a relative term. "Good" to you might be different to me. It is really hard to tell you with 100% certainty that product A will always remove type X defects. There are way too many variables and hence there may be a need for a medium polish.

I actually love Meguiar's quick detailer. Always brought me great results.

Do you feel like the citrus wash is necessary if it's used primarily as stripper? Do you like the Dawn method?

If you like Meg then stay with it. There is nothing wrong with it. My personal preference is CG V07 and Ultima Waterless Wash Plus- concentrate. UWWP is versatile in that you could dilute it to suit your need. At the correct dilutions, you could use it as a Waterless Wash, Caly Lube, and as a Quick Detailer. 3 uses from one product.

A lot people in the old school crowd use Dawn. It works to a certain degree but there are sealants and waxes these days that Dawn might have a difficult time removing like Power Lock or Colinite 845. The other issue might be spots but then if you work fast and in the shade you should be able to minimize this. Is CG W&C necessary? No...but it is still a good shampoo (at the correct dilution) for Menzerna Power Lock.

I own CG W&G along with 6 other car shampoos and I like Ultima paint guard wash for maintenance the best.

I notice you didn't mention anything about claying. I feel like the kit that comes with a claybar, Poorboy's World Spray, and a container for the clay is actually a pretty good gift. Besides, Autogeek nor DI have any sort of free shipping plus % off deals.

I don't use traditional clay that much these days. I use NanoSkin Scrub Pads and mitts. These products makes claying a breeze. To be honest....Clay is Clay and the brand doesn't make that much of a difference since "Clay Magic" owns the patent to it. I think the patent expired or will be expiring.

Note: If you use a product like IronX or Trix on your paint prior to claying, you will notice less contaminants on your clay and hence ...... less time claying. Another characteristic of IronX or Trix is that it will remove your LSP so it will make the choice for car wash irrelevant.

Autogeek don't have the free shipping + % off this week but I am sure they will have one before July 4th. Use code "SHIP" anytime and you get free shipping for all purchase over $50 and any order over $50 qualify for free samples of PBMG products (Woldgang, Blackfire, Detailers Pro, Pinnacle). Win-Win.

For DI is a bit different..... you shop for products that are on sale/specials and use the standard ship code. They do offer free ship with % off once in a while. It is not common for them.
      06-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslym777 View Post
like i said, menzerna power finish, collinite insulator wax, some dawn, quality wash mitts, microfibers, keeping your budget
Thanks man, looking into the collinite now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Autogeek don't have the free shipping + % off this week but I am sure they will have one before July 4th. Use code "SHIP" anytime and you get free shipping for all purchase over $50 and any order over $50 qualify for free samples of PBMG products (Woldgang, Blackfire, Detailers Pro, Pinnacle). Win-Win.

For DI is a bit different..... you shop for products that are on sale/specials and use the standard ship code. They do offer free ship with % off once in a while. It is not common for them.
Thanks for all the info. I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow night and we'll take it from there.

I see that DI has an EZ brush that Autogeek doesn't - http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brus...il-Brush-P784/ Kind of better IMO because there's brushes on top unlike the others. Also Autogeek has Power Lock for $10 more and it's out of stock.

Looked into the Nanoskin, looks great but pretty pricey.

Another question, Menzerna PL with a blue pad and Menzerna SF4000 with a white pad sound good to you?

Last edited by Game; 06-14-2013 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Another question, Menzerna PL with a blue pad and Menzerna SF4000 with a white pad sound good to you?
Its a good start. Make sure you do a test spot prior in buffing out the whole car.

I do believe the EZ brushes and the Daytona Brushes are one in the same.
      06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, looking into the collinite now.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow night and we'll take it from there.

I see that DI has an EZ brush that Autogeek doesn't - http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Brus...il-Brush-P784/ Kind of better IMO because there's brushes on top unlike the others. Also Autogeek has Power Lock for $10 more and it's out of stock.

Looked into the Nanoskin, looks great but pretty pricey.

Autogeek has that too. Its just called daytona speedmaster instead. I still would get the older version over the one that looks like a toilet bowl scrubber. The older one is better for getting in the barrel where the caliper is.