E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > CBU, sounds familiar? Only it's an EcoBoost

12-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

CBU, sounds familiar? Only it's an EcoBoost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irw...st=WL&index=37
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Watch his other videos, love how he backtracks on his CBU issues, suppose Ford lawyers had a talk with him. All too familiar, italian tuneup, fuel additives, best fuel, catch-cans, etc. However, the pictures are nothing compared to what we had seen, mind you we are diesel.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
dixy2k
Major
Rep

The scary part is that we cannot escape CBU, no matter what we drive in the future. Diesel or direct injection gasoline cars. There are lots of reports on the new Kia/Hyundai DI engines getting bad CBU. Now this guy talks about this issue on ecoboost engines.

It seems we cannot escape the CBU from now on. It will be part of the regular maintenance, just as oil and air filter changes are. Every so many miles you need to clean the engine up on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
The scary part is that we cannot escape CBU, no matter what we drive in the future. Diesel or direct injection gasoline cars. There are lots of reports on the new Kia/Hyundai DI engines getting bad CBU. Now this guy talks about this issue on ecoboost engines.

It seems we cannot escape the CBU from now on. It will be part of the regular maintenance, just as oil and air filter changes are. Every so many miles you need to clean the engine up on the inside.
Fear is a powerful thing.

I'm still waiting to need any CBU cleaning on any of my direct injection diesels.

2002 NB TDI: 165,000 miles, sold, ran perfectly with high fuel economy
2005 E320 CDI: 203,000 miles, sold, mechanic still owns it, maximum fuel economy throughout. No CBU problem now for over 230,000 miles.
2004 NB TDI PD: 110,000 miles, runs perfectly with high fuel economy
2011 335d: 74,000 miles, runs perfectly with average fuel economy

I respect my machinery but use it to its fullest potential. No off-brand fuel. No additives. Normal manufacturer maintenance. I buy my own oil and usually change it myself.

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Fear is a powerful thing.

I'm still waiting to need any CBU cleaning on any of my direct injection diesels.

2002 NB TDI: 165,000 miles, sold, ran perfectly with high fuel economy
2005 E320 CDI: 203,000 miles, sold, mechanic still owns it, maximum fuel economy throughout. No CBU problem now for over 230,000 miles.
2004 NB TDI PD: 110,000 miles, runs perfectly with high fuel economy
2011 335d: 74,000 miles, runs perfectly with average fuel economy

I respect my machinery but use it to its fullest potential. No off-brand fuel. No additives. Normal manufacturer maintenance. I buy my own oil and usually change it myself.

PL
Comparing apples and oranges here, due to the varying emissions regulations and increasing amount of EGR% with newer MYs. Also, low pressure EGR after the DPF is pretty clean. So, even in the same MY and same engine if the source of EGR is after DPF things get better.

CBU is really not that mysterious and yes the care and use of the vehicle matters, just like it did in days of old, when carbon deposits were on the backside of intake valves and everyone was complaining because lead was removed from fuel. Unfortunately, today we cannot add something to the fuel to remove the deposits because the fuel is introduced downstream of the affected areas. Thats why H20/methanol injection works well. I think small dose injection of DI water into the EGR stream would be a neat aftermarket fix. Anyone want to start a new business with me?

Last edited by DWR; 12-23-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Comparing apples and oranges here, due to the varying emissions regulations and increasing amount of EGR% with newer MYs. Also, low pressure EGR after the DPF is pretty clean. So, even in the same MY and same engine if the source of EGR is after DPF things get better.

CBU is really not that mysterious and yes the care and use of the vehicle matters, just like it did in days of old, when carbon deposits were on the backside of intake valves and everyone was complaining because lead was removed from fuel.
CBU was well known to TDI owners, way back in 1999 even. Direct injection is direct injection. All of the theories are there but none have been proven. The closest for CBU was a paper, which I have tried to find but have too many in my files, that found metallic additives contribute to more CBU.

Until a scientific analysis can be obtained, its all anecdotal, including with mechanics who likely only see the problem engines. Out of 10,000 335d's, the estimated percentage of CBU "problems" would not even approach 10% if you include the vocal online community. I have not heard of more than 3 cars in the Savannah area have CBU out of perhaps 10 or so. More information, including from BMW NA, would be nice.

Good luck!

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

BMW is or May be Using W/M

I saw something about a water injection system in a preview article on the new GTS a few months ago. Not sure if it's making into production or motivated by CBU, but they are definitely looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype View Post
I saw something about a water injection system in a preview article on the new GTS a few months ago. Not sure if it's making into production or motivated by CBU, but they are definitely looking at it.
Toyota is dealing with it on some of its gassers with direct and indirect injection in the same motor. It apparently has some other advantages too, but the theory is to "wash" the intake with gasoline from the indirect injection nozzles.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
DWR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
CBU was well known to TDI owners, way back in 1999 even. Direct injection is direct injection. All of the theories are there but none have been proven. The closest for CBU was a paper, which I have tried to find but have too many in my files, that found metallic additives contribute to more CBU.

Until a scientific analysis can be obtained, its all anecdotal, including with mechanics who likely only see the problem engines. Out of 10,000 335d's, the estimated percentage of CBU "problems" would not even approach 10% if you include the vocal online community. I have not heard of more than 3 cars in the Savannah area have CBU out of perhaps 10 or so. More information, including from BMW NA, would be nice.

Good luck!

PL
You were making a comparison of mileage. In general CBU is happen sooner. That's the point.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #10
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
You were making a comparison of mileage. In general CBU is happen sooner. That's the point.
You may be correct. It was thought to be from short-trip-only vehicles that were not even warmed up to full. The time/mileage of CBU was also variable. But it is a bad sign that so many on this forum have had it.

PL
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
DWR
Banned
Rep

Your right. Technology hasn't kept up with the regulations. We are going to see vehicles go to the recycling yards before their time. The irony is the total emissions required to make a car like ours is now greater than the emissions produced by one.

As an aside, I had a chance to drive a new Tesla S a couple of months ago. It was very impressive. Been in faster vehicles, but they were racecars, not a road going passenger sedan. If that is the future of automobiles, I welcome it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #12
dixy2k
Major
Rep

It doesn't matter how you drive your car. BMW is a big ass hole for telling people they don't drive the cars the right way. There is no such a thing as driving the car in a bad or good way.

All cars should perform as intended. Drive them as you normally would another car and they should perform within the industry's standard.

BMW was telling people they don't drive their 5 and 7 series right when the batteries were gone in a year's time because people don't coast their cars more often so the battery can recharge.
Now they change the battery with every oil change (soft recall, or silent recall whatever you want to call it).

Why can I drive any car the way I drive my 3 series diesel and not have any problem with CBU?
Yes, I drive mostly in the city, short trips. Was the car engineered to be driven at high speeds on the freeway? Where exactly was this written? The dealer said nothing about driving only on the freeway. The owner's manual said nothing in this respect.

Why is the regeneration being kept a secret? Not that it does not exist, but how exactly it happens and how the driver should drive the car during the regeneration cycle.
There is not warning about the regeneration taking place. Is that the driver's fault too?

I only used Chevron diesel on my car. Never had any poor quality or no name fuel in it. Only a couple of times Shell and 76 when I could not get Chevron nearby.

For most people the CBU came up right around 50,000 miles when the warranty expires, or when most of the people (first time buyer or leasees return their cars). You get a perfectly running car for the first 3-5 years or up to 50k miles and you happily get another best in the business model. Right? That's how it works.

Then you have those idiots complaining about a car out of warranty that does not perform eel and it always breaks down because they don't know how to drive it and don't perform all the required maintenance, or simply do it by themselves not at the dealer.
Appreciate 0