E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > No Boost, Codes, and Turbo Whine?

01-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

No Boost, Codes, and Turbo Whine?

Hey all -- longtime lurker-- after much searching, I figured I'd just post a video and get some thoughts on my current issue.

I installed the Cobb Sport Map(since removed) last week and on my first drive, was getting less and less boost. Initially around 12, but when I got to where I was going (20 minutes away), it wouldn't hold much more than 2 psi. Same sort of thing when it was cold again.

I checked connections, replaced the boost solenoid, and replaced the charge pipe, and it's gotten worse.

This video is on a cold startup right after I finished putting the charge pipe in:

And another startup while it was still a bit cold:

It's more-or-less the same sound once the car gets warmer. I can get a video of that driving around if that's helpful.

The car still isn't really producing any boost (surprise surprise!). This is my first turbocharged engine, so hopefully some of you have some better ears and advice.

I've also got the codes: P112F, P28A0, and P2C57, all essentially 'boost below expected' from what I understand and not too useful. It's a 2011 with 64k on it. Maybe I've still got a leak though? I'm planning to replace the intercooler and the elbow pipe this weekend...

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Another data point, since I haven't really been driving the car much. When it's gotten a bit warmer the sound has gone away, but still little to no boost.

Last edited by blackaspen; 01-04-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bumping this with some more developments to see if anyone's got some thoughts!

I've replaced all of the stock piping with an ER intercooler -- no cigar. I also did a boost test and got nothing, but wasn't able to figure out where it was leaking from.

I did take it to a shop and they smoke tested it and "found some smoke near the turbo". Their next step was to replace the diverter valve.

While taking the car apart to do that, there was a good deal of oil on the turbo-side charge pipe. Maybe a tenth or so of a quart? I'd only driven the car for 100 miles to and from the shop -- this is way more oil than was in the stock intercooler with much more than 100 miles on it.

There's also a tiny, tiny bit of oil on the bottom of the turbo housing.

Would the turbo not spooling cause additional oil in the intake system?

This is all sounding to me like a bad turbo...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaspen View Post
Bumping this with some more developments to see if anyone's got some thoughts!

I've replaced all of the stock piping with an ER intercooler -- no cigar. I also did a boost test and got nothing, but wasn't able to figure out where it was leaking from.

I did take it to a shop and they smoke tested it and "found some smoke near the turbo". Their next step was to replace the diverter valve.

While taking the car apart to do that, there was a good deal of oil on the turbo-side charge pipe. Maybe a tenth or so of a quart? I'd only driven the car for 100 miles to and from the shop -- this is way more oil than was in the stock intercooler with much more than 100 miles on it.

There's also a tiny, tiny bit of oil on the bottom of the turbo housing.

Would the turbo not spooling cause additional oil in the intake system?

This is all sounding to me like a bad turbo...
are you getting any smoke from exhaust pipe ? white or blue ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

At this point i would be removing the turbo and inspecting it very well... I would also look into getting the MHD plotting/diagnostics. Its a phenomenal tool. When you graph everything things are more clear, and you can also read all shadow codes that are logged.. it tells you a little history of the car and how it started to throw codes.. you can read back
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
HawkeyeGeoff
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI MSport, S2000

Garage List
Yeh. Your turbo might be donezo unfortunately. Time for an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep

No smoke, at least that I noticed. When I first started having boost issues, it was night though.

Yeah, I grabbed some graphs and poked at them with a friend -- MAF requested and actual MAF being very off also supports the dead turbo theory.

I ordered the Pure Stage 1 -- now I just have to wait for the thing, then I'll start tearing the old one out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaspen View Post
No smoke, at least that I noticed. When I first started having boost issues, it was night though.

Yeah, I grabbed some graphs and poked at them with a friend -- MAF requested and actual MAF being very off also supports the dead turbo theory.

I ordered the Pure Stage 1 -- now I just have to wait for the thing, then I'll start tearing the old one out.
cool stuff, curious to know the outcome. Any plans on tuning the new turbo ?

are their turbos just re manufactured or different ? KKK b03 ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Circling back around here -- got the turbo out yesterday and it's pretty done. Small hairline cracks, some chunks off of it, some shaft play, etc... Haven't gotten to put the new one in yet since all of the oil/coolant lines are pretty much stuck on and I had to order new ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Dang, N55 Turbo failures are pretty rare and the only other one I have seen locally was a guy with an aftermarket intake and a compressor wheel that looked like it ate a hundred pounds of sand.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #10
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah... 64k miles, I'm pretty surprised... The car's been well taken care of it's whole life, but it's also been driven.

It's amusing since I deliberately looked for an N55 because I didn't want to be plagued by the typical N54 problem and what I felt was a higher potential for turbo failure. So it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #11
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

thanks for the pictures.. Are you the only owner ? What oil do you use ? How often do you replace it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
blackaspen
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm the third. It's had oil changes at the dealer roughly every 3-7k for it's entire life with BMW Twin Power.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

very interesting. Could have just been a bad turbo from manufacturing. ow u get a better one so all good
Appreciate 0