E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake disc/rotor uneven???

04-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

Brake disc/rotor uneven???

i've had my car parked for around 40 days on my dirt-ground parking spot, it has been raining quite often in the nyc area for the past 2 weeks. today i drove my car again, and the right front brake is making this strange noise when i'm braking. i feel the steering wheel shaking as well when i brake. at first i thought it was the rust or probably a small piece of pebble in between the brake pad and the rotor, but it didn't seem like it. could it be cuz of my rotor that's uneven or some other cause? i've touched the rotor all around on the side facing me, but i don't feel any bumps or anything. i know i could bring it to a dealer and have it checked, but don't wanna go through that hassle if it's something simple that i could do on my own. any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

btw, it got slightly better after driving it for 20 miles, but still shaky on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post
i've had my car parked for around 40 days on my dirt-ground parking spot, it has been raining quite often in the nyc area for the past 2 weeks. today i drove my car again, and the right front brake is making this strange noise when i'm braking. i feel the steering wheel shaking as well when i brake. at first i thought it was the rust or probably a small piece of pebble in between the brake pad and the rotor, but it didn't seem like it. could it be cuz of my rotor that's uneven or some other cause? i've touched the rotor all around on the side facing me, but i don't feel any bumps or anything. i know i could bring it to a dealer and have it checked, but don't wanna go through that hassle if it's something simple that i could do on my own. any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. TIA!

btw, it got slightly better after driving it for 20 miles, but still shaky on the steering wheel.
How many miles on your car mate? It sounds like you may have warped brake discs.
I'd take it in and get it looked at anyway- better safe than sorry when it comes to brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

Definitely sounds like a warped rotor.. given the fact that your steering wheel is swaying also. Clarify, there is no noise/movement unless you are braking?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Rotor warp doesn't just happen. Most likely you are suffering from brake deposits. Re-torque your wheel bolts and properly bed in your pads. Will probably solve your problem.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Also, you could have the rotor faces machined
Appreciate 0