E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Squeaking brake issue finally found and resolved.

08-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #177
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
You will need to replace the pads if the sensor is touching the disc. Also make sure the discs are still serviceable (at or above minimum thickness)
Quote:
The sensor never touches the disc until about roughly 50% of the inner pad has worn. At this point, the raised hump on the sensor touches the disc. This is the first trip and tells the DSC module to start the actual countdown (after the plastic has worn down a bit more). The countdown that occurs before this first trip stage is purely estimation.

The second stage is when the hump has almost completely worn away. This
Same from you....

But I won't argue.

From 2014, 3 years ago my post on break pad sensor and how it wears and works with pictures:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981050

About washing the wheels removing the noise, it is easy to test for anyone, get a good car wash with the wheel cleaning option and see if it removes it. Mine is just a theory, based on me not having that noise for a long while now. It may not be the reason, it may be the reason.

Don't drive your car when it rains, it promotes rust
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:11 AM   #178
CecilB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I Dark Blue

Squeaking rotor / brake solved

Wish I took pictures, (I did but they did not come out very good) but found the squeaking brake issue (0 to 20mph) . I marked the dust plate edging behind the parking E-brake and found it to be running in the groove of the Rotor. I switched out to Brembo rotors which have a deeper groove and remarked edging and no longer rubbing and squealing. Issue solved. Either grind the edge of backing plate or switch to rotors with deeper groove.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #179
Sprnova23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i convertible

Is this a fix that can be done without taking the rotors off?

Also, could this issue cause the e-brake / wheel to seize rather than just squeaking? I've had the squeaking for awhile, but just experienced a brake seize after parking the car for a couple of weeks. When I tried to pull away in 1st, the rear end squatted, front lifted - that seems more likely to be an issue with the actual ebrake seizing rather than this brake shield issue, right?

Note: I did not have the e brake on while it was parked for 2 weeks, it was in my garage, sitting in 3rd gear.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #180
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Thank you for sharing this. After sitting for several months during some maintenance/repairs/mods a while back my car was doing this in a bad way. I assumed dust shield straight off but it didn't look like it was because I only looked around the outside of the rotor. This makes sense. Now that I drive it everyday, though, it's been squeak-free for months.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #181
golfbrah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: tbd

My squeak came back after 10 months/10k miles. Gonna try to grease the edges again since I can’t stand the noise.

Awful af design if I have to do this annually going forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #182
KhaosKid
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘11 323i when it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbrah View Post
My squeak came back after 10 months/10k miles. Gonna try to grease the edges again since I can’t stand the noise.

Awful af design if I have to do this annually going forward.
My squeak also came back after 1-2 years unfortunately, and I do not want to pull the rotors off to fix it so I guess I'm back to not using the handbrake until I need rotors again. Even tightening my parking brake mechanism doesn't get rid of the squeak.
Appreciate 0