E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Does any one go to Texas Tech?

07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Does any one go to Texas Tech?

^
It was a last minute decision I made to go here instead of a private school
Just wondering if I'll be seeing anyone
      07-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
eamon
Captain
Rep

136 views and no replies?
Surely someone goes here aha
Orientation was off the wall by the way
      07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
burningchicken
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

No.

Go Hokies.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

tech was a lot of fun. I graduated from there over a decade ago. I heard the city has changed quite a bit tho. I'm going out there for a game later this year and am anxious to see Lubbock. Have only been back once since graduating and that too was long ago.

Oh, and while there are a ton of Dallas girls there, it's the West Texas women who know how to party and typically have their heads on straight (and god damn there are some natural beauties out there). Go get you one of those, otherwise you'll wind up with the same BS coming out of the DFW metro that you are likely used to.
      07-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

I know a good 10-20 people that go there. Let's just say the majority go because it's a party school, and not education .

Nonetheless, congrats and enjoy! What will you be studying?
      07-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

Have fun watching your school lose to WVU. Go Mountaineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningchicken View Post
No.

Go CHokies.
Corrected it for you. Have fun with sPitt in the ACsleeze
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
tech was a lot of fun. I graduated from there over a decade ago. I heard the city has changed quite a bit tho. I'm going out there for a game later this year and am anxious to see Lubbock. Have only been back once since graduating and that too was long ago.

Oh, and while there are a ton of Dallas girls there, it's the West Texas women who know how to party and typically have their heads on straight (and god damn there are some natural beauties out there). Go get you one of those, otherwise you'll wind up with the same BS coming out of the DFW metro that you are likely used to.
Pretty good information here. I went to Tech, so did my ex. I haven't been back in fifteen years, can't say I miss it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
eamon
Captain
Rep

Lol guys
I typed that first post as I was sitting through some orientation
All I can say is, I never truly understood how much people meant it when they said it is a party school until I got back.

Everything there felt like a scene straight out of American Pie
Orientation was a joke, it was all about hooking up and partying ahah. So many people seemed to have got busted with all the cops and all.

For example, a few people and I decide to drive down to what-a-burger at 1 in the am and we were all wearing our orientation (freshmen) clothing. As we are walking in we see people in their undies running out of their car. When we walk into the burger joint, all the upper class men start banging on the tables chanting freshmen freshmen etc. and then one juiced up guy flips a chair yelling let's get fucked up hahahah.
All this is going on around us and school hasn't even started.

Until Orientation I had thought to myself that I was more than ready to move out and start school, but as I got into my dorm room at 4 in the am I realized how overwhelming it all seemed. TBH as fun as it all seemed I just didn't feel like I want to make the move, but at the same time I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I'm going to be rushing while majoring in Bio/Pre-Med and just hope that I don't get distracted from my grades!
It was my first time visiting Tech and I completely winged it, but the whole experience turned out a lot better than I was hoping. To compare to the other schools that I've visited, Texas Tech wipes the floor with OU and A&M in just about every department. I honestly don't understand why they get the bad rep from some people. I just don't see it.

As much as I enjoyed the campus, I'm debating whether or not to just stay here locally and go to community college as it is much closer and I can score a 4.0 without all the partying. Either way I'm planning on transferring to Baylor or SMU for my last two years just to get my certification there.
Any Input???

Oh btw, I saw little to no BMWs or euros in general, which was a change of pace from the DFW area. However thankfully there is a little (and I mean tiny) BMW dealership in case I need them.
      07-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

^^^I can understand going to SMU or Baylor to finish off (those schools have phenominal reps), but Tech has a pretty damn good Med school...make sure you weigh the options there.

And yeah, I think Tech gets a bad rap b/c it is a somewhat different pace/lifestyle. Lot's of shit kickers, you will learn all the great country songs (you can't help it, everyone does), and general hooning and bad-assery that is looked down upon from an elitist perspective. Crawfish festivals, cheap beer from a can, freak thunder/dust storms bringing in the smell of shit from the out of town feedlots, etc... So yeah, it might not be "civil" in all aspects, but damn it was a lot of fun.

From an Education perspective, they do invest a lot into research (it is a tech school afterall) and when I was their the professors really did seem to care. Try not to F-up your freshman year too badly (everyone does) and once you get into the upper level courses that are interesting, it can be a really good school.

Guns Up and have fun out there. I still fly my double-T flag in a neighborhood full of Sooner and Cowboy fans with pride (even tho our Football program went to shit - has potential, but all hail the Pirate Captain Leach!!). Spike Dykes was pretty kick-ass too while I was there - this dates me.

Carve your name into a table at "Bashes" and grab one of the best calzones on the planet over at "One Guys".
      07-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Car

You can't go from one Big12 school to another, that's being a traitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Agreed, and even though my granddad taught at SMU and I have a lot of friends that went there, after going to HS at HP, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that I was going across the street for college.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

My (vague) recollection of my undergrad orientation was that it was a total party. Come to think of it, so was my grad school orientation.

So I wouldn't put too much stock in just that experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

girls at tech are way better than baylor girls...believe me.
Appreciate 0