E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Simply Stunning! I want...

01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #45
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

On a billiard smooth racetrack perhaps. Although the roll centres will be completely borked with a drop like that correct choice of spring rates, damper calibration and ARB stiffness might produce something that does handle given enough testing.
In the real world with bumps limiting the suspension travel produces a car that typically handles terribly with horrible characteristics if you hit mid corner bumps.
Compound this with massive lumps of cast heavy wheels fitted with elastic bands offering 0 compliance and you really don't improve matters

Manufacturers spend a couple of quid designing their chassis dynamics. Sure you can improve on them if you are prepared to compromise a little on ride comfort but go too far and you'll just make things worse in the real world
Dropping it into the weeds on a set of coilovers with rock hard springs isn't really the way forward unless you're looking at modified suspension pickups to restore some semblance of normality to the suspension geometry

I was fortunate enough to bump into a stance works/low'n'slow/dubwerks convoy once in one of the M3 services. It was one of the funniest automotive events I have ever seen. Once the first car had scraped over the speed bumps and performed a 48 point turn into a parking space due to the restricted steering lock the driver then had to go guide the rest of the group in over this treacherous obstacle course
I spent a good 5 minutes laughing at the spectacle. A brief scan of scene forums reveals this is pretty much par for the course

To me that hasn't really improved the car. I don't disagree that some of the cars look good but compromising them to this extent strikes me as completely futile

It's purely a personal thing depending on what your priorities are. I personally prefer to modify to improve overall performance and I'm sure my car with wheel arch gaps and unstretched tyres looks equally as comical to scene people
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #46
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I took the 19's off my M3 and put 18's on, the extra bite going into fast corners on the road was not subtle.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #47
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
Now this would look very good in my garage....

I'd love it ,but would prefer to spend the money on the E92. For now!!!
I knew a guy in 02 who had one the same as that, it was a 325.
      01-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #48
DuckySpud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Touring

Well just as with anything in life, different people want different things from their cars. Most people just want a car to get them to work and back and be reliable, some people want performance over anything else, some people want style over anything else... I think most of us on here will be somewhere in the middle and wanting a bit of it all lol.

Point being, people are doing their own thing to suit their own needs and desires. I think the "stanced" E30s in this thread look amazing, but would never go that extreme myself due to the problems it would cause my daily driving. If the owners don't care about that, congrats to them for building a car they will love and cherish. I doubt they care less about what some randomers on the internet have to say.

All you guys going on about performance being ruined and it being pointless, look at it this way. If somebody posted a supercharged M3 putting out 700bhp or something, full race spec brakes, suspension, stripped interior etc, and they used it on the road, would you be hating on them? Because surely a car like that on the road is just as pointless and awkward to live with as the stanced ones above....

Just my 2p, respect people have different tastes and just appreciate the effort and work that goes into each different build
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #49
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

There was a chap on ebay very recently who had 10 of his persnoal prize possession of E30 325is for sale at £3k a piece and they were in such good condition. Whoever got there first must have been so lucky with a pick of 10!!!
      01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #50
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckySpud View Post
All you guys going on about performance being ruined and it being pointless, look at it this way. If somebody posted a supercharged M3 putting out 700bhp or something, full race spec brakes, suspension, stripped interior etc, and they used it on the road, would you be hating on them? Because surely a car like that on the road is just as pointless and awkward to live with as the stanced ones above....
Actually yes I would if it was built as a road car

I have a friend with a car that is exactly that although it's a supercharged Elise with a race spec suspension setup not an m3

It was built as a track day car and a weekend fun toy.
As a track toy it's a weapon thanks to 280 bhp and the suspension setup

On the road it is a complete disaster and the owner admits this. The roll cage means you have to be a gymnast to get in or out and it really is horrific over bumps
As a consequence it's been off the road for umpteen years and has clocked up about 1000 miles over several years.

We have had many conversations about refitting the standard suspension so that the car could be used on the road but basically the arsed has run out and ideally he would prefer to sell it but finding a buyer for a car that's completely unusable on the road isn't easy and it's been superseded in SELOC type racing by cars running supercharged Honda donks

All in all despite sounding like a great plan the car has really turned into a garage ornament

Last edited by two,_OH_five; 01-08-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckySpud View Post
Point being, people are doing their own thing to suit their own needs and desires. I think the "stanced" E30s in this thread look amazing, but would never go that extreme myself due to the problems it would cause my daily driving. If the owners don't care about that, congrats to them for building a car they will love and cherish. I doubt they care less about what some randomers on the internet have to say.
What i don't understand is who they are trying to impress with their stanced abominations.
There's a few pikeys around town that have those lowered pickups, it's the same slow'n'low dubtard brigade.

I know the knee-jerk response is "we're not trying to impress anyone" but that's clearly not true otherwise they wouldn't be spending all their free time and money doing laps around the car park in a luminous green neon underglow slammed farm vehicle.

The classic spotty teenager buys the best car he can afford and spends all his pocket-money lacing it with stickers in the hope that some 16yr old is going to nosh him off in it. Atleast there's a possible benefit to that. I can't really see how one is going to attract anything other than farm animals in a slammed pickup.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #52
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP / R56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyso335 View Post
lol love how you say that the cars look abused and your forum name is 'CarAbuser' haha
Thats what I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpot View Post
No idea why the hating on the BBS wearing E30's? These are the ultimate wheels for this car, and they suit a good suspension drop too.
I used to run 17" BBS RS wheels on a Golf VR6 back in the day, a wheel that is simply timeless imo.
Agreed! I love a classic e30, original ones are great and always will be. However, dropped on some nice BBS wheels with the right stance does it for me. I dont think its 'chavy' at all, in-fact its proper fanatics and people who care and know their cars that take that sort of step when modding. Its not about just sticking a set of after market wheels on just to say you have a modded ride. The first 2/3 in the pics are clearly well looked after and clearly owned by enthusiasts! One day I will hopefully own one
      01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #53
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
There was a chap on ebay very recently who had 10 of his persnoal prize possession of E30 325is for sale at £3k a piece and they were in such good condition. Whoever got there first must have been so lucky with a pick of 10!!!
I actually saw that today, bit of a random collection!! Not the first car I'd like 10 versions of though...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #54
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
Agreed! I love a classic e30, original ones are great and always will be. However, dropped on some nice BBS wheels with the right stance does it for me. I dont think its 'chavy' at all, in-fact its proper fanatics and people who care and know their cars that take that sort of step when modding. Its not about just sticking a set of after market wheels on just to say you have a modded ride. The first 2/3 in the pics are clearly well looked after and clearly owned by enthusiasts! One day I will hopefully own one
It is only fanatics that think they look great, the other 99% just think it looks like and old car with some blinged up wheels shoved on it.

But then that is the problem with any older car that is not 50 years plus.

But then I would say that with modern stuff too, I would always take a CH over a LeMans, and and RX over a Super RS.
To me those wheels are shouting too much.

I guess that is the problem for me, I don't like things that shout out.

This is the sort of E30 that makes me smile..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #55
Tyso335
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
Thats what I was thinking
good one hey haha

Fuel of the Devil
NOW: E92 335d M Sport lots of mods to come...
Gone But Not Forgotten: EVO 8 MR FQ340 Running 370bhp
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #56
Z3man
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E91 320D SE Auto (LCI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
It is only fanatics that think they look great, the other 99% just think it looks like and old car with some blinged up wheels shoved on it.

But then that is the problem with any older car that is not 50 years plus.

But then I would say that with modern stuff too, I would always take a CH over a LeMans, and and RX over a Super RS.
To me those wheels are shouting too much.

I guess that is the problem for me, I don't like things that shout out.

This is the sort of E30 that makes me smile..
Now thats more like it, any more pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #57
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

My old one on air. Yeh front spoiler is hagging off lol. Would of ended up on some Oz Futura splits, but I shipped it to the USA to a friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #58
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

OZ FUTURA are some of the nicest, timeless wheels around! I'm gonna buy me a set one day for my e30.... ONe day hahah! Lovely car Singh!!
      01-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #59
Milvic
Rep
Drives: G05 50e MSport

Very true they could also be show cars or occasionally used cars does not really matter ..... It's all about personal preferences ....... Love the e30 would only get one to build as a project can't run as a daily commuter .... E90 toys spoilt me
Appreciate 0