E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alarm Owners: Have you Tested Panic Feature?

12-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Alarm Owners: Have you Tested Panic Feature?

I just had my alarm activated. In an effort to test the alarm, I triggered the alarm by waving my hands through the open window. I cannot, however, activate the panic alarm.

I have referred to ksfrogman's excellent thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40848. In the instructions it states, "Panic mode is initiated by pressing the trunk lid button on the remote control. The button must be pressed for longer than 2 sec irrespective of whether the anti-theft alarm system is armed or not".

By the way, I do have the audible feedback via the emergency current siren when locking, and unlocking the doors.

Has anyone experienced this same inability to trigger the panic alarm? Did you rectify the issue?

Thanks.
      01-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

01-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Mine works. Set it off at the dealership by accident when taking delivery trying to open the trunk. Woke everyone up at the dealership..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

yup, mine works as well, push hold trunk button. But the int motion sensor does not work. Had mine activated from the dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

Well, I'm baffled then...I'll have to call the dealer and see what they suggest.

Does anyone else find it strange that you have to open your trunk when you're in distress in order to use the panic button? I mean you've just opened the trunk for the assailant.
      01-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

yeah not well thought out. its only a split second more to set off the panic, so its annoying that sometimes you activate panis accidentally...looking like a fool in the parking lot
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,

Well it does not work for me either ... I have just gone and tried!

I remember reading this when I got the car but forgot to check it.

Pressing and holding the trunk button on mine does nothing but open the trunk no matter how long you press it...

I have tried it with the car locked or unlocked.. still no alarm... I wonder if it is country specific or something....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakdraft
Well it does not work for me either ... I have just gone and tried!

I remember reading this when I got the car but forgot to check it.

Pressing and holding the trunk button on mine does nothing but open the trunk no matter how long you press it...

I have tried it with the car locked or unlocked.. still no alarm... I wonder if it is country specific or something....
I assume you mean you've tried it with the alarm off, Dave- it works fine on mine (built Sept 05)?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
smokin
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 Coupe

Garage List
2006 335d coupe  [0.00]
ill be intrested to see if this works as well, ill let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
I assume you mean you've tried it with the alarm off, Dave- it works fine on mine (built Sept 05)?

Viv
Aha! Viv, you forget one thing... yours is an import car as oposed to a UK dealer car... there may be a difference there... On the other hand it could be yet another fault to add to the list I already have for the dealer and it's CIP upgrade!!

Oh and yes... I tried it alarm on and alarm off. I have not noticed any setting or options in the idrive... so I cannot see why it should not work..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

I have an appointment with the dealer on Fri., Jan. 5 to address the lack of panic feature. When making the appointment, my SA said it may be a programming issue.

Since I just paid $115.00 for 1hr of programming for the alarm, I want to have this addressed even if it is a PIA for me.

I'll update this thread once the dealer has a look.
      01-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

$115??? damn, should only get half hour and the dealers know this.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #13
bk8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport

Just tested mine and panic feature won't work.
Tested with alarm on and off.
UK dealer car as well.
Is this feature documented in the UK manual? I can't check it right now.
      01-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool
$115??? damn, should only get half hour and the dealers know this.
I agree, $115.00 is too much, but I didn't feel the savings was great enough for me to shop around because my time is worth something too.
      01-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Mine works. Hold the trunk button and the siren goes off along with flashing amber corner lights. BTW, the trunk does not open when using the panic feature.
      01-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I_JB
Well, I'm baffled then...I'll have to call the dealer and see what they suggest.

Does anyone else find it strange that you have to open your trunk when you're in distress in order to use the panic button? I mean you've just opened the trunk for the assailant.
What do you Expect?
(They DO need somewhere to throw your body)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Aha! Viv, you forget one thing... yours is an import car as oposed to a UK dealer car... there may be a difference there... On the other hand it could be yet another fault to add to the list I already have for the dealer and it's CIP upgrade!!

Oh and yes... I tried it alarm on and alarm off. I have not noticed any setting or options in the idrive... so I cannot see why it should not work..
Dave,

In my handbook, the 'panic' mode is described on p29- below is a pic of this from the US manual (Sept05).
This 'facility' is asterisked- so it's an optional extra / dependent on geographical market.

Although my car was imported from Germany, it is a UK-spec car
ie there is no difference between it & any other UK-dealer acquired car

So, I think the dealerships must be screwing around with the UK e90s before passing them on to their customers- I have nothing but praise for the German dealership that didn't play around with my car & its intended functionality!

All the best.

Viv
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

So today I went back to my dealer,the UK dealer I bought the car from. They said that This is not a feature for UK cars......

Viv, I know your car was UK spec'd but that is not the same as UK built. I was told this by a large UK importer... when it is built to UK spec... they add all the available add on's to make it as close to UK as possible.. but that does not mean it is UK build.

I am willing to bet that all UK dealer cars.... the feature does not work... (Please let me be wrong..)

My UK handbook also shows the same as your attachment.... that dreaded get out clause asterisk.

This, of course drives me mad! :mad: I cannot understand why BMW think this feature is not suitable for the UK. Other manufacturers seem to thnk it is OK. This also happened with the DVD lock. It should be a standard feature, otherwise every thug knows that you just need smash the passenger window, hit the button and there... $200 for Sat Nav Disk on ebay easy !

So DVD lock should be standard to discourage theft.. Instead BMW make the feature free for corporate Customers who can afford the DVD's but us poor consumers.... well we have to buy it as an aftermarket extra.

Be assured I will be pushing for it at my Progman upgrade in 2 weeks.

End of Rant ... Now , I am not sure this explains 335I_JB's car??
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So today I went back to my dealer,the UK dealer I bought the car from. They said that This is not a feature for UK cars......

Viv, I know your car was UK spec'd but that is not the same as UK built. I was told this by a large UK importer... when it is built to UK spec... they add all the available add on's to make it as close to UK as possible.. but that does not mean it is UK build.

I am willing to bet that all UK dealer cars.... the feature does not work... (Please let me be wrong..)

My UK handbook also shows the same as your attachment.... that dreaded get out clause asterisk.

This, of course drives me mad! :mad: I cannot understand why BMW think this feature is not suitable for the UK. Other manufacturers seem to thnk it is OK. This also happened with the DVD lock. It should be a standard feature, otherwise every thug knows that you just need smash the passenger window, hit the button and there... $200 for Sat Nav Disk on ebay easy !

So DVD lock should be standard to discourage theft.. Instead BMW make the feature free for corporate Customers who can afford the DVD's but us poor consumers.... well we have to buy it as an aftermarket extra.

Be assured I will be pushing for it at my Progman upgrade in 2 weeks.

End of Rant ... Now , I am not sure this explains 335I_JB's car??
Dave,

It seems strange, since previous UK BMW models have the panic alarm as standard- perhaps it's a noise pollution 'thing'?!

Anyway, I'm happy to have the panic alarm & be the noisy 'odd one out'!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #20
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

The dealer reprogrammed my alarm today, and now the panic feature works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc
Mine works. Hold the trunk button and the siren goes off along with flashing amber corner lights. BTW, the trunk does not open when using the panic feature.
You're right! The trunk doesn't open when using the panic feature.
      01-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
bakdraft
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I_JB
The dealer reprogrammed my alarm today, and now the panic feature works.

You're right! The trunk doesn't open when using the panic feature.
Did they say why it didn't work originally... i.e.was it that canadian cars in general do not have this feature. AND if so, did they charge you for the privilidge?

Thanks

Dave
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #22
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did they say why it didn't work originally... i.e.was it that canadian cars in general do not have this feature. AND if so, did they charge you for the privilidge?

Thanks

Dave
The SA said it was a programming issue. Although, I don't believe he knows much about it anyways. In my opnion, it would seem it was only a programming issue.

Canadian and US cars use the same alarm as far as I know, and they do have the panic feature. Not sure about the UK though.

Anyways, I'm happy the panic feature works now and that it doesn't open the trunk when activated.