E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Proper Instructions on Rev Matching

03-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
srv2790
BMW Service Dept.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Proper Instructions on Rev Matching

okay, im not really all that new to sriving stick. but i never really cared too much about rev matching or anything but now i want to be able to jump on people a little bit quicker who want to mess with me in traffic. so i guess what i am asking is how to properly rev match... any help would be nice
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

It just takes practice, go out and do it a bunch whenever you drive. There are no "proper instructions", you just have to get a feel for how much you need to rev it under all different circumstances.

Same goes for when you're learning how to heal-toe, make sure no one is around to laugh at the car jerking when you don't rev match well
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv2790 View Post
okay, im not really all that new to sriving stick. but i never really cared too much about rev matching or anything but now i want to be able to jump on people a little bit quicker who want to mess with me in traffic. so i guess what i am asking is how to properly rev match... any help would be nice
Try wikipedia (heel-toe, double-clutch). Also, youtube has several "heel-toe" howto videos.

-Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Rev matching without braking is very easy... You will have perfected in no time...

Say you're in 4th gear cruising along, and you want to drop it into 2nd and accelerate like a bat outa hell... Simply clutch in, move the lever into second, blip the throttle to raise the RPM to the level where the engine will be in 2nd gear and then release the clutch... You would need to blip less, raise the RPM's less if you were shifting from 4th to 3rd... and so forth...

Just a matter of practice until you know exactly how much you need to blip at every speed... then it becomes second nature
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

itll become natural. You wont even need to think about how much to blip in the end. I recommend practicing on offramps and red lights. The freeway u can do 6-3rd quite easily and have lots of time when u exit. The tricky part is heel-toe. Ive been driving stick for... nearly 9 years and i still havnt mastered that yet. Practically speaking, its only necessary on the track, or when u are about to make a hard turn u need to throttle out on... which can always be avoided on the street.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
in5ane_3
Lieutenant General
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M3

There is a good thread here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112651, read it. It has a lot of useful information inside.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Try it between 3rd and 4th gear first. Practice shifting to 4th then rev matching down to 3rd. It'll help you get an idea for the motions, then you can start focusing on smoothness along with the rest of the gears.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
itll become natural. You wont even need to think about how much to blip in the end. I recommend practicing on offramps and red lights. The freeway u can do 6-3rd quite easily and have lots of time when u exit.

The tricky part is heel-toe. Ive been driving stick for... nearly 9 years and i still havnt mastered that yet. Practically speaking, its only necessary on the track, or when u are about to make a hard turn u need to throttle out on... which can always be avoided on the street.
i think the reason that heel toe is difficult in the beggining is the way it is called: heel toe.
you DO NOT use your heel and your toe.

basically only your right foot is involved (left foot is for the clutch):
the aim is that your right foot will control both your gas pedal and the brake at the same time.... this is most useful when entering a turn very fast at the track and you need to both brake and downshift:
1/ the ball of the right foot is pressing on the brake (cause you need to slow down when entering the turn).
2/ at the same time the right side EDGE of your right foot is blipping the throttle (giving it gas). you do this to match your revs for the lower gear.
3/ right after you bilp the gas - you downshift (using your left foot on the clutch of course).

to tell you the truth, you really need to see how it is done in person or a good video showing the feet and pedals only.
i saw a good video somewhere and it literally took me only a week of practicing around town to master it.
the key is to clearly see exactly how it is done before you practice it.

note that i also saw another video where the guys had his right foot at a 90 degreee angle to the gas pedal. that is the only way you can really involve your heel and your toe.
but i have been racing for a while - it is best to use the ball of your foot and the right edge of the same foot.

btw, rev matching when going straight should be a piece of cake and second nature when (safely) practiced just a few times.

hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
Try it between 3rd and 4th gear first.
Practice shifting to 4th then rev matching down to 3rd. It'll help you get an idea for the motions, then you can start focusing on smoothness along with the rest of the gears.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...e/shifting.htm

enjoy
      03-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Rev matching without braking is very easy... You will have perfected in no time...

Say you're in 4th gear cruising along, and you want to drop it into 2nd and accelerate like a bat outa hell... Simply clutch in, move the lever into second, blip the throttle to raise the RPM to the level where the engine will be in 2nd gear and then release the clutch... You would need to blip less, raise the RPM's less if you were shifting from 4th to 3rd... and so forth...

Just a matter of practice until you know exactly how much you need to blip at every speed... then it becomes second nature
Sorry to disagree with you,but before you go into gear is when you bring up the revs.In other words if you in forth,before going into third or second to take off like a bat out of hell you bring the rpm,s up then go into the lower gear,not go into the gear first then bring up the revs.The reason is because your spinning the syncros in the tranny faster so its easier to get into the lower gear.Meaning smoother going into that gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
forcefedbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think it's easier with an aftermarket exhaust. The stocker is soo quiet that it's hard to hear.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Awesome thread guys. I have been rev matching for a few years now and i love to read new techniques or even near perfected ones. Just remember to practice alot before trying a 4th to 2nd shift. Ive seen my friends try at speeds that were way to high and the rpms jumped into the red. Sounded like the N54 was crying after that!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan335i View Post
Sorry to disagree with you,but before you go into gear is when you bring up the revs.In other words if you in forth,before going into third or second to take off like a bat out of hell you bring the rpm,s up then go into the lower gear,not go into the gear first then bring up the revs.The reason is because your spinning the syncros in the tranny faster so its easier to get into the lower gear.Meaning smoother going into that gear.
That is what I said.. I said blip first then release clutch...
The way I do it is:
1. Clutch in
2. Start shifting while blipping at the same time
3. release clutch just as the revs have climbed to where they need to be
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
i think the reason that heel toe is difficult in the beggining is the way it is called: heel toe.

the aim is that your right foot will control both your gas pedal and the brake at the same time.... this is most useful when entering a turn very fast at the track and you need to both brake and downshift:
1/ the ball of the right foot is pressing on the brake (cause you need to slow down when entering the turn).
2/ at the same time the right side EDGE of your right foot is blipping the throttle (giving it gas). you do this to match your revs for the lower gear.
3/ right after you bilp the gas - you downshift (using your left foot on the clutch of course).

to tell you the truth, you really need to see how it is done in person or a good video showing the feet and pedals only.
i saw a good video somewhere and it literally took me only a week of practicing around town to master it.

note that i also saw another video where the guys had his right foot at a 90 degreee angle to the gas pedal. that is the only way you can really involve your heel and your toe.
but i have been racing for a while - it is best to use the ball of your foot and the right edge of the same foot.

btw, rev matching when going straight should be a piece of cake and second nature when (safely) practiced just a few times.

hope this helps.
yeah i never actually used my heel once

I actually like the 335s pedal locations for this, I think it's easy in this car compared to some others (and those extender racing pedals are just BS)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:06 AM   #16
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post

hope this helps.
Do you ever double clutch too instead of just rev matching? I still find it's smoother even on today's manual cars (I know it's most useful on older cars and those without synchros). Or maybe it's just that I've been driving stick all my life, starting with a little Suzuki Sidekick, and am just used to it and don't know how to do it any other way almost...

This dude DOES use his heel though for blipping the gas! And check out how fast he double clutches at the 20 second mark!

VIDEO
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #17
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
yeah some people do but its very uncomfortable...

maybe i have wide feet or wear big shoes but i've found its 10x easier as he described

and double clutch? lol not me... don't see why anyone would want/need to
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd390r View Post
yeah some people do but its very uncomfortable...

maybe i have wide feet or wear big shoes but i've found its 10x easier as he described

and double clutch? lol not me... don't see why anyone would want/need to
As the waycoolinc link says, which is what I've also found:

"Double clutching is a technique for rev-matching the transmission's *intermediate shaft* to the output gear that is to be selected. This is a function that is normally handled automatically by the transmission's synchro-mesh gears (or synchro's). It is useful to double clutch for extreme gear changes, for older transmissions with worn synchro's, or simply to save wear on the synchro's. It's also an entertaining thing to do.

The synchromesh are usually adequate intermediate shaft control when down shifting one or two gears. Aggressive downshifts (like a 5 - 2 shift from high speed) can benefit by using double-clutch shifting to assist the synchro's. Shifting into first gear in a hard corner is nearly impossible without double-clutching (this is useful for those really tight hairpins, especially if they exit uphill)."

Once you get used to doing it, you can do it so quickly, I don't often find myself when needing to rev match, stopping and thinking if I need to just rev match, or double clutch and rev match at the same time. I always double clutch. Look at how fast the guy in the video I posted does it. You almost can't see for each shift his left leg pumps the clutch twice, he's so fast!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #19
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

I sometimes double clutch and rev match together.It makes it even smoother with less drivetrain shock then just single clutch rev matching.In a race i wouldnt double clutch it,because time is everything when racing.But when out hitting the back roads having some fun,i will sometimes double clutch my rev matches just to keep wear in the trans or entire drivetrain to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of "what is that smell" and/or "WTB: Clutch" threads in the near future
      03-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

So when rev matching, which of the following 2 is correct:

Both scenarios from 4th to 3rd:
1. While in 4th, push in clutch, put in Neutral and lift off the clutch, blip throttle, push clutch in, drop to 3,

Or

1. While in 4th, push in clutch, blip throttle, THEN drop to 3

I just assumed it wasn't good to rev the engine while the clutch is engaged (depressed) and your in gear...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #22
iPodAddict
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjafari View Post
So when rev matching, which of the following 2 is correct:

Both scenarios from 4th to 3rd:
1. While in 4th, push in clutch, put in Neutral and lift off the clutch, blip throttle, push clutch in, drop to 3,

Or

1. While in 4th, push in clutch, blip throttle, THEN drop to 3

I just assumed it wasn't good to rev the engine while the clutch is engaged (depressed) and your in gear...
the 2nd...

-clutch
-blip throttle while transitioning the gear shifter to the desired gear
-release clutch

from the sounds of it, I'd say take up a class in an advanced motorsports school... they usually teach these kinds of fundamentals.