E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > my CA got laid off

01-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #23
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

WELCOME TO CORPORATE AMERICA, WHERE MONEY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A PERSON
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Lightbulb

Yeap....In God we trust all others pay cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
3coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe 07

Well, I am in sales as well.

I've never been in a commodity business (such as car sales), but my rule of thumb for a healthy funnel of return business is not to fuck over your customers (quite simple). Although this has a its short term disadvantages, but in the long run of things, its easier and effortless to incur return business than to constantly hunt for new ones.

Like marketing ppl always said, "it might cost us 1000 dollars to win each deal, but it costs us nothing if the customer buys again". Although I've never sold cars before, but I believe these rules can still apply.

Till this day, I still buy my BMWs from different sales people and I'm on my 5th one. This is probably due to the fact that not one has earned my loyalty, and its quite sad cause I trade and buy often.

I believe this business has always maintained the "box pushing" mentality. Once the box is out the door....well....its out the door, or in this case the parking lot. If these sales guys were good at relationship building, follow ups, and give good deals (doesn't have to be costly to the dealership)....they can achieve volume which will compensate for the lower margins. customer's will appreciate this and will return, and will find referrals for you.

just my .02 cents, that not all sale guys are bad......well at least the ones that are not in car sales :P jk
      01-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #26
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
...and some people seem to have no idea how to run a business if their life depended on it!

I can't believe you're still going on with this nonsense about "it's all about the money" blah blah blah...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #27
kipawariver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 MT, ‘17 F15 35d M

I've got to say that there is a BIG difference between the service I have gotten in Cananda nad the service I've received in the States at BMW dealerships. I just returned from a driving trip to Florida and had the experience of 4 dealerships for various reasons. All of them bent over backwards to make sure that my issues were looked after. No problem with short notice service bookings or getting parts overnight. No issues at all. I had excellent, timely service with lots of feedback as to the status of my car. Now if I could only say the same for the times I have had to deal with the nameless dealer on Ogilvie. Nobody answers the phone, when you get a real person, they are
not able or willing to help in a timely manner. I live a long way from any BMW dealer and rely on quick service. It ain't happening here nearly as well as in the States. Maybe that's the reason they are laying off staff.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #28
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
I agree with you. The BMW dealers in Canada have been disappointments.
The nameless dealers on Ogilvie and Hunt Club are very much the same manure on different piles when comes to services and sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipawariver View Post
I've got to say that there is a BIG difference between the service I have gotten in Cananda nad the service I've received in the States at BMW dealerships. I just returned from a driving trip to Florida and had the experience of 4 dealerships for various reasons. All of them bent over backwards to make sure that my issues were looked after. No problem with short notice service bookings or getting parts overnight. No issues at all. I had excellent, timely service with lots of feedback as to the status of my car. Now if I could only say the same for the times I have had to deal with the nameless dealer on Ogilvie. Nobody answers the phone, when you get a real person, they are
not able or willing to help in a timely manner. I live a long way from any BMW dealer and rely on quick service. It ain't happening here nearly as well as in the States. Maybe that's the reason they are laying off staff.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
0asis
Senior Officer In Charge.
Canada
Rep
Drives: G30 540i / Past: F10,E92, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
shouldn't accounting be recession resistant? every company still needs an accounting dept to function right? i guess unless you are an accountant for an construction firm or something you might be in trouble because houses aren't being built no more...

doctors are pretty recession proof. my girlfriend's a doctor and she's got nothing to worry about.

Can you think of another profession that has nothing to worry about? Doctors (medicine, dentistry, optometry etc), law enforcement (cops, not security guards )
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #30
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0asis View Post
Can you think of another profession that has nothing to worry about? Doctors (medicine, dentistry, optometry etc), law enforcement (cops, not security guards )
Canada Revenue; they gotta collect taxes to pay for Harper's war.
      01-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
Canada Revenue; they gotta collect taxes to pay for Harper's war.
what war is that? if you mean afghanistan, then a big from me
      01-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #32
NoKids
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
what war is that? if you mean afghanistan, then a big from me
we're getting , but whatever

yes Afghanistan. Unless Obama can convince Pakistan to stop allowing Taliban fighters to cross the border, the US and Canada are going to spend billions over decades. The insurgency costs the jihadists nothing compared to the costs to the West. Also they use the heroin trade to fund their IED's and AK-47's. So basically the West, with their heroin addicts is funding the Taliban.

01-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #33
me92
Rep
Drives: 335

WHEN DID U BUY IT IN FALL?

i was wondering about this rebate thing too.. i bought it around AUG 07, i waited till nov 07
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #34
NoKids
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by me92 View Post
WHEN DID U BUY IT IN FALL?

i was wondering about this rebate thing too.. i bought it around AUG 07, i waited till nov 07
i took delivery October 12th 2007. the discount went up October 17th 2007.