E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

08-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2245
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clap135 View Post
Btw vassil, can you post logs of you Giac tune? Its saturday at 830, by the time you selected something use-able and post a log it might be september.
I can't right now, because my ECU has Cobb tune on it. In order to get GIAC logs, I would need to get a GIAC reflashed back on my car. This means a trip to the local GIAC dealer.

There are plenty of GIAC logs out there for your viewing pleasure. Mr. 5 has one and he is running it with meth injection as well. He has plenty of logs and all of them are showing excellent parameters.
      08-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #2246
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I can't right now, because my ECU has Cobb tune on it. In order to get GIAC logs, I would need to get a GIAC reflashed back on my car. This means a trip to the local GIAC dealer.

There are plenty of GIAC logs out there for your viewing pleasure. Mr. 5 has one and he is running it with meth injection as well. He has plenty of logs and all of them are showing excellent parameters.
Plenty of Giac logs? The only logs I saw were mr.5s at one point or another and it didnt even show anything worth while.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #2247
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d

I'd bet anything giac has 10% or less of the customers that Cobb has. That plus the fac that you can LOG with the ap is why there are more reported issues. With giac you have to log with bt (extra $) and most wont go through the trouble and will consequently never report anything.

Cobb's issues with limps, etc are the result of tons more customers and numerous editions of the programming.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #2248
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
I'd bet anything giac has 10% or less of the customers that Cobb has. That plus the fac that you can LOG with the ap is why there are more reported issues. With giac you have to log with bt (extra $) and most wont go through the trouble and will consequently never report anything.

Cobb's issues with limps, etc are the result of tons more customers and numerous editions of the programming.
Agreed. Not arguing against it. It is the way it is.

One thing though: Cobb with all those tons of customers and numerous editions of programming *SHOULD* have taken care of all those driveability issues by now, don't you think? I mean why would a company risk their image in their customers by releasing unrefined, untested stuff out there?

Ask yourself one question: would your rather be driving your car knowing that it has well tested and well sorted software and the engine will do exactly as you command it with your right foot, or would you rather constantly have to log shit to convince yourself that things are not messed up after a firmware update from Cobb?

When it comes to me: I want to drive my car and have the piece of mind that the software won't do anything funky when exiting a corner or cruising on the highway.
      08-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #2249
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
when atr comes out you can custom tune and all of your complaints will be resolved and everything will be peachy
You make it sound like ATR will magically resolve all issues. I disagree. ATR will allow users to change any parameters. The vast majority of people here (including me) have no idea how to tune an engine. I do know very well though how an engine should behave. Similar to the fact that I am absolutely horrible at playing a musical instrument but I have a very good appreciation of quality music!

ATR in the wrong hands will make an off-the-shelf map even more undriveable and problematic. ATR in the right hands *could* be a fantastic thing. Let me guess, you are going to sit around here and ask Clap to give you tips on how to run your engine?

Like I said before, I am going to keep my Cobb AP till Stage 2 comes out. If they have made significant improvements in driveability and power control, then I will keep it. If it turns out that the problems are still there, I am selling it.

I just want to drive my car in a way that I don't have to worry about the tune, be able to perform well on the track and whenever I have passengers, I don't get asked if my car is broken, when throttle closure galore hits...
      08-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #2250
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post

Agreed. Not arguing against it. It is the way it is.

One thing though: Cobb with all those tons of customers and numerous editions of programming *SHOULD* have taken care of all those driveability issues by now, don't you think? I mean why would a company risk their image in their customers by releasing unrefined, untested stuff out there?

Ask yourself one question: would your rather be driving your car knowing that it has well tested and well sorted software and the engine will do exactly as you command it with your right foot, or would you rather constantly have to log shit to convince yourself that things are not messed up after a firmware update from Cobb?

When it comes to me: I want to drive my car and have the piece of mind that the software won't do anything funky when exiting a corner or cruising on the highway.
Fail. I remember the first dynos of giac showing all of that terrible oscillation in the upper midrange. Presumably that was throttle or boost control. They've worked it out since then... on customer cars.

I'd bet you couldn't tell the difference btw Cobb and giac on back to back drives. Memories have a way blocking the negative over time. Too bad we'll NEVER grt that opportunity considering the difficulty with loading giac. It would be cool to see bt log comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #2251
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Quote:
You make it sound like ATR will magically resolve all issues. I disagree. ATR will allow users to change any parameters. The vast majority of people here (including me) have no idea how to tune an engine. I do know very well though how an engine should behave. Similar to the fact that I am absolutely horrible at playing a musical instrument but I have a very good appreciation of quality music!

ATR in the wrong hands will make an off-the-shelf map even more undriveable and problematic. ATR in the right hands *could* be a fantastic thing. Let me guess, you are going to sit around here and ask Clap to give you tips on how to run your engine?

Like I said before, I am going to keep my Cobb AP till Stage 2 comes out. If they have made significant improvements in driveability and power control, then I will keep it. If it turns out that the problems are still there, I am selling it.

I just want to drive my car in a way that I don't have to worry about the tune, be able to perform well on the track and whenever I have passengers, I don't get asked if my car is broken, when throttle closure galore hits...
you can pay a tuner shop to dyno tune your car. nobody expects you to do it yourself. you have that option but the majority of people will rely on tuners to fine tune for your exact setup
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #2252
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
you can pay a tuner shop to dyno tune your car. nobody expects you to do it yourself. you have that option but the majority of people will rely on tuners to fine tune for your exact setup
Here we go again. So all of a sudden, I have to PAY more money for some tuner shop to tune my car on a dyno. Something that should have came with your tune by default. You are saying that I have to pay extra for a tuner shop to fix the shortcomings of Cobb tuning, is that right?

A car on a dyno has nothing to do with a car on the street or on the track. Do you drive yours on the dyno? I drive mine on the street and on the track. And on the street and on the track, Cobb does not perform nearly as good as GIAC at this moment. Plain and simple.

It seems that you are not understanding what I am trying to say here. I do not lust after a "dyno queen" car or a "1/4 mile shocker". I want a car I can drive on the streets and on the track with great, consistent driveability and consistency. I want to be confident that when I am exiting a sharp corner I would know EXACTLY what the engine will do and EXACTLY how much power output I will be getting. No boost overshoot, no throttle slamming shut, none of that crap. Do you get it? Can you understand what I am going for here? This is something you CANNOT tune on a dyno!
      08-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #2253
kdiggz
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Quote:
Here we go again. So all of a sudden, I have to PAY more money for some tuner shop to tune my car on a dyno. Something that should have came with your tune by default. You are saying that I have to pay extra for a tuner shop to fix the shortcomings of Cobb tuning, is that right?

A car on a dyno has nothing to do with a car on the street or on the track. Do you drive yours on the dyno? I drive mine on the street and on the track. And on the street and on the track, Cobb does not perform nearly as good as GIAC at this moment. Plain and simple.

It seems that you are not understanding what I am trying to say here. I do not lust after a "dyno queen" car or a "1/4 mile shocker". I want a car I can drive on the streets and on the track with great, consistent driveability and consistency. I want to be confident that when I am exiting a sharp corner I would know EXACTLY what the engine will do and EXACTLY how much power output I will be getting. No boost overshoot, no throttle slamming shut, none of that crap. Do you get it? Can you understand what I am going for here?
Oh wow man. I guess you just put all of the tuner shops in the country out of business. We don't need them anymore!

It's not a short coming of cobb. It's about getting the most out of your car as possible. You can use the free map. You can tune yourself. You don't HAVE to get a dyno tune. But if you want to you have the option. Every car is different. A custom tune is always going to be better than any canned solution
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #2254
Clap135
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 N54

Man you are blowing this way out. Sell the thing now, go flash GIAC.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #2255
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
I really wish you were closer to me so that I can let you drive my car and see what I mean. I honestly do.

Anyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Different people have different expectations out of their cars which is perfectly understandable.

No, I am not selling my Cobb AP just yet. How many times do I have to say this: I will patiently wait for official non-beta Stage 2 maps and then make a decision if I should stay with Cobb or upgrade to GIAC Stage 2. I fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of both flash tunes and I remain hopeful that Cobb will make Stage 2 excellent, just like they have been promising everyone here.

If anything, I would love to be proven wrong and I really hope they outshine GIAC. It is just not happening at this point in time.

P.S.:
With this, I consider this Cobb vs GIAC discussion exhausted as far as I am concerned. ...at least till S2 gets out of beta testing.
      08-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #2256
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
... It's about getting the most out of your car as possible.
Then why are you not running a piggy back. They are currently making shitloads more power and they have methanol safety integration. Go on, run off to the piggy camp, you can even edit your own settings just the way you like them!
      08-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #2257
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:
Then why are you not running a piggy back. They are currently making shitloads more power and they have methanol safety integration. Go on, run off to the piggy camp, you can even edit your own settings just the way you like them!
Stop being a troll in this thread. You've done nothing but whine for the last few pages. Go send some logs to COBB to help resolve your issue, or STFU.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #2258
dfv2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 CTS-V

we need a mod to rename this to "vasillalov's soap box"
      08-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #2259
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
I really wish you were closer to me so that I can let you drive my car and see what I mean. I honestly do.

Anyway, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Different people have different expectations out of their cars which is perfectly understandable.

No, I am not selling my Cobb AP just yet. How many times do I have to say this: I will patiently wait for official non-beta Stage 2 maps and then make a decision if I should stay with Cobb or upgrade to GIAC Stage 2. I fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of both flash tunes and I remain hopeful that Cobb will make Stage 2 excellent, just like they have been promising everyone here.

If anything, I would love to be proven wrong and I really hope they outshine GIAC. It is just not happening at this point in time.

P.S.:
With this, I consider this Cobb vs GIAC discussion exhausted as far as I am concerned. ...at least till S2 gets out of beta testing.
Pointing out issues you may have with a specific tune may be helpful; however the rest of your commentary isn't.

Your "needs" in a platform are completely against what we know to be the strengths of the N54. Sounds like an NA motor is more your cup of tea.

Switch back to GIAC, move on with life! You'll be happier that way it seems.
      08-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #2260
boom
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

P.S.:
Did you ever consider that your car, having been flashed by giac numerous times has errors in the dme or works slightly differently? I know that all flashes leave marks in the dme. You have to look table by table but things are there. And no, the dealer can't detect them. I know bc I've stood over Lou at cp-e and watched him go through the tables and see the changes on ecu flashed back to stock.
Point if this is that it's possible your multiple giac/stock reflashes have left enough stuff in your dme that it doesn't function exactly right slap cobbs adjustments on top and you get less than perfect drivability.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #2261
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Can we get back to COBB discussions already, GIAC discussions can be started on another thread if need be?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #2262
bmwm3redblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW E92 335Xi

guys any of seen this code: P2FA3 when read on ap? What does it mean? Ap says coding missing.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #2263
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
guys any of seen this code: P2FA3 when read on ap? What does it mean? Ap says coding missing.

Like in the other thread, it is a perfectly harmless code. Everyone who has Cobb installed throws this code unless you've installed the new v3 Beta map. No need to worry about it, you're fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #2264
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I'm just curious are there any Giac logs out there that comes close to what we have for the AP? I would be curious to see what the Giac tune is really doing.

Alan
      08-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #2265
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'm just curious are there any Giac logs out there that comes close to what we have for the AP? I would be curious to see what the Giac tune is really doing.

Alan
here you go:
Attached Images

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #2266
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Even with GIAC they're not managing to hold that boost up higher past 5300rpm...it seems that the N54 ROM is pretty tricky to crack in those upper RPMs in terms of holding higher boost past 5300 rpm...13psi is the most I've seen with any flash at 6k rpm
Appreciate 0