E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mercedes CL63 AMG revealed with new 5.5 V8

07-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
I'm not a fanboy but danger of what?...The C63 only has a slushbox, ok suspension, ok chassis. The M3 is more of a track tool (well used to be before the E9X)..Been objective the C63 and IS-F can't be compared to an M3...I sometimes want to cancel E90 M3 ED project for one of those Nascar sounding slushbox cars but the M3 is in an other league. As much as I've always disliked Bmw for various reasons(beside M cars-135) not many AMG cars have done well....the C32-C36-C55 we're always behind the M3.So does the E55 against M5's etc. The only AMG car worth getting over an M at this point is the ML63 over the vaccum sounding tandem called X5-X6. Other than that AMG cars sounds well, looks good but that's about it(My guess is that they don't want to compete with ///M or RS since they don't offer any manual gearboxes in their cars).
AMG's will now have AMG Speedshift MCT transmissions (multi clutch).

To use your same argument, BMW doesn't have anything to compete with the SLS.

The majority of people that buy these cars will never go to a track. It will mostly be casual driving, so cars like C63 & IS-F will be ideal since they have better straight line acceleration
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #24
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
(My guess is that they don't want to compete with ///M or RS since they don't offer any manual gearboxes in their cars).
My guess is that your guess is wrong.

Automated manual dual clutch gearboxes are taking up the R+D efforts by all manufacturers. You can only do so much with a MT in respect to design. And why spend the effort. PDKs now outsell MTs in the 997. And the PDK is considered an excellent gearbox for the track. The SLS has a new DCT. BMW has a revised DCT, etc., etc. It just the way it is. Like FI motors now replacing all NA motors.

MTs will go the way of film cameras. A few film cameras may still exist but their apex has been reached in respect to technology. All the effort goes into digital and sensor development now. Film cameras will be for 'retro fun' just like a MT. But no pros will use them. Just like F1 drivers don't want a MT (the MT is now the "slushbox.")

Either complain like an old man 'till you die, or face the facts and accept it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #25
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Ugh, two tons of housewife battering ram coming your way down the freeway at 500+ horses. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

oh yummy, do want