E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan + slipping clutch: help please.

02-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Dinan + slipping clutch: help please.

Guys,

I have the Dinan Stg2 tune and have a badly slipping clutch at 20K miles.

I heard on stock cars some dealerships replace the first clutch for free. (goodwill)...Now that I have the dinan, how will they react? Will Dinan cover a slipping clutch?

Honestly I have been driving MT all my life and treat the clutch well. I was very shocked when it first slipped at relatively low mileage.

Any feedback/advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Skimo

Update: Took my car to the Dealership. Told them it had Dinan. They were very welcoming about the Dinan and even worked with the Dinan rep (behind the scenes) to make sure everything worked smoothly. Before opening up the clutch, they warned me that if the clutch was abused it wont be covered under warranty! I told them to proceed as I never abused the car. 2 days later I got the car back. The service slip read:

"Wear pressure plate causing clutch disk to overheat and damage flywheel. Removed clutch and inspected for damage. Found pressure plate weak and flywheel heat checked. repl clutch ass'y and flywheel"

Warranty covered. They even re-flashed the car with Dinan Stg 2 as they had to reflash the car for another job and Dinan was lost. Very professional no hasstle. 0$.

Last edited by skimo; 02-15-2009 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Updating:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Does the dealership even know you have the Dinan on there? If not, don't even mention it and bring it in but just specify that you don't what your ECU flashed with any updated software.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks dllbrooks! but there is a Dinan badge on the back!!! remove?

I do not have the 335i badge...so it will look "fishy" i thought..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo View Post
thanks dllbrooks! but there is a Dinan badge on the back!!! remove?

I do not have the 335i badge...so it will look "fishy" i thought..
They'll know your car has the Dinan flash by running the VIN. Don't pull off any badges. Honesty is the best policy.
      02-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
uhhh you have Dinan... you have no worries...

Just take it into the BMW dealership... abnormal wear on the clutch will be covered under BMW warranty -- if they blame it on Dinan, then the clutch will be covered under Dinan warranty... that's all there is to it... that's what you paid $2k for... no hassle maintenance/repairs!! You don't have to worry about any of this... just take the car to the dealership, tell them there is a problem, and they will take care of the rest.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
They'll know your car has the Dinan flash by running the VIN. Don't pull off any badges. Honesty is the best policy.
Just remove the badge and take the car in, don't mention the Dinan. Dinan has a warranty so worse case is the dealership calls you after running the VIN and does not want to cover the work then you call Dinan and they should handle it.. keep us updated, and if the dearlership will not cover and Dinan gives you the runaround let us all know! thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

On second thought, just leave your Dinan badge on.. you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Just remove the badge and take the car in, don't mention the Dinan. Dinan has a warranty so worse case is the dealership calls you after running the VIN and does not want to cover the work then you call Dinan and they should handle it.. keep us updated, and if the dearlership will not cover and Dinan gives you the runaround let us all know! thanks
wth are you guys talking about... take off the badge!? WHY!? Call Dinan?? WHY!? These suggestions are seriously rediculous...

You bought dinan so that you don't have to worry about these kinds of things... badge or not, it plainly states in the BMW computer system that you have Dinan software so that they know to send a warranty claim to Dinan.

Also, dealerships don't give you the runaround for Dinan problems... the dealer just fixes the car, regardless of who pays (BMW or Dinan) and then the warranty claim is settled between BMW and Dinan... you just get your car fixed...

(BTW, I don't mean to be so harsh... I just don't want the OP to take off his Dinan badge when he obviously dished out >$5k on Dinan products to get the badge...)

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

this is funny...i forgot to mention I am going to dealership in 1 hour...so i got some thread, towel, soap and a blow-dryer to remove the badge...and headed to garage...then i checked this post on my phone to make sure and it said "dont debadge"...

so i placed the tools back...

then i checked thread and recommendation was to debadge...took out tools again and headed to garage ...

luckily i decided to check the post "one last time"...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
this is funny...i forgot to mention I am going to dealership in 1 hour...so i got some thread, towel, soap and a blow-dryer to remove the badge...and headed to garage...then i checked this post on my phone to make sure and it said "dont debadge"...

so i placed the tools back...

then i checked thread and recommendation was to debadge...took out tools again and headed to garage ...

luckily i decided to check the post "one last time"...
omg dude... don't do it!!! haha... I PROMISE you you'll be fine... I have been to the BMW of Austin dealership at least 5-6 times for warranty repairs (all for the same wastegate rattling problem, though) and have never had an issue with warranty...

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
wth are you guys talking about... take off the badge!? WHY!? Call Dinan?? WHY!? These suggestions are seriously rediculous...

You bought dinan so that you don't have to worry about these kinds of things... badge or not, it plainly states in the BMW computer system that you have Dinan software so that they know to send a warranty claim to Dinan.

Also, dealerships don't give you the runaround for Dinan problems... the dealer just fixes the car, regardless of who pays (BMW or Dinan) and then the warranty claim is settled between BMW and Dinan... you just get your car fixed...

(BTW, I don't mean to be so harsh... I just don't want the OP to take off his Dinan badge when he obviously dished out >$5k on Dinan products to get the badge...)
Honestly the "issue" here is that a worn clutch is not really a warranty item since its wear-tear. I heard its just done out of good will. I thought I would loose this "good will privelage" with a tune..and Dianan could refuse to warranty because its not really a warranty item! That was the cause of my concern. UNless im all wrong on this and it IS a warranty item!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I have the Dinan Stage 2 and I do not have any issues with slipping clutch..do you do a lot of dragstrip stuff? I dont...

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Honestly the "issue" here is that a worn clutch is not really a warranty item since its wear-tear. I heard its just done out of good will. I thought I would loose this "good will privelage" with a tune..and Dianan could refuse to warranty because its not really a warranty item! That was the cause of my concern. UNless im all wrong on this and it IS a warranty item!
Well, the thing is that normal wear and tear is not covered under warranty... but if it is somehow defective, resulting in abnormally high wear with only regular usage, I believe that is covered under warranty... unless you seriously ragged out the clutch...

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep

I never did any sort of drag racing or that stuff. I also always accelerate after I am sure the clutch is fully engaged to protect the discs. I never owned an AT ever

Anyhow, yeah it is gonna be the BMW of Austin..they are really good...actually REALLY good, never gave me issues but i always wanted to play it safe.

Anyhow, thanks for all advice...will let you know how it went!

Thanks
skimo
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Many have gone through the first clutch @20-30k. Stock, flashed, or otherwise. Mine was replaced at 28k. No charge.
      02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Well, the thing is that normal wear and tear is not covered under warranty... but if it is somehow defective, resulting in abnormally high wear with only regular usage, I believe that is covered under warranty... unless you seriously ragged out the clutch...
I was told clutch is a maintenance item, like brake pads and rotors, so it is covered by the maintenance plan. Is this untrue?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Are you serious? Why would you even consider taking the badge off? This just dumb. What Dinan parts do you have on your car that got you the badge? If you spent 8 or 10k on the car mods than they will fix it for free.

Seriously, how did you get the badge? Did you buy it off of Ebay?

This guy is out of his mind.
      02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post

This guy is out of his mind.

Nah, he is just feeling guilty from performing those 6k "clutch drops" last night at the quickie mart.
      02-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Hey Bubbles, how is your car holding up lately?
      02-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

If you read my post above I stated "on second thought just leave the badge on" and take it in to the dealer as is and all should be ok... who do you think you are, you are ridiculous and don't use words you don't know how to spell!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
Hey Bubbles, how is your car holding up lately?
Barely, with some twine and tree sap.
      02-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #22
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
If you read my post above I stated "on second thought just leave the badge on" and take it in to the dealer as is and all should be ok... who do you think you are, you are ridiculous and don't use words you don't know how to spell!
haha chill man... don't take it so personally... just trying to save the OP some trouble.

Appreciate 0