E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CP-E Standback for the N54

03-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #45
Swoop
Resident Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: You Crazy w/ My Rear Fogs

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 Acura TSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saikelol View Post
Wait, you have the standback? I thought they were still testing it. Are you a beta tester?
yup, but at pretty modest levels...I still love the hell out of it =)

A/W 335i e90 l Sirius l M6 Wheels l M5 Bumper l Eibachs l 20% Tint l CPE Exhaust & Standback l BLK Matte Trim l Xenon Interiors l Lux 4.0 l 8000k D1S l MTEC H7/H11s l Invisibulbs l BLK Matte Grill l Blacklines l Alum Pedals l Splt Armrest l Rear Fogs l RBT l K&N
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #46
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
If you want some insight on how good the Standback is, join a Mazda forum (specifically, MazdaSpeed cars) - those guys seem to LOVE the cp-e Standback and you can get some good insight on the system.
yup I've seen that, but you really cant compare tuning a Mazda to this engine....
      03-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #47
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Is this yet another piggy? Does it plug in the DME as the others?
      03-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #48
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
yes, but it's only pin-out as of now. no plug n' play harness
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #49
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

I'll definitely pass then! IMHO, they have a steep learning curve ahead.......
      03-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #50
runningman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SP

Quote:
It would have been a hot product in 2007 but in 2009 piggies are played out and prices for a PnP system are half of what they ask for their pin out.

Funny side story, they were banned from here so apparently they made their own forum. There are 2-3 of them and all the posts are about about how much they hate the procede, jb, and e90post. Top notch professional guys here.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #51
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningman View Post
It would have been a hot product in 2007 but in 2009 piggies are played out and prices for a PnP system are half of what they ask for their pin out.

Funny side story, they were banned from here so apparently they made their own forum. There are 2-3 of them and all the posts are about about how much they hate the procede, jb, and e90post. Top notch professional guys here.
yep, really makes me want to put their POS on my expensive car
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #52
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Guys, do me a favor and don't start jumping on the hate bandwagon here... All that'll come of it is US losing out. Is the product a piggyback? Yes. Is it only available as a pin-out? Currently, yes. Is it the same thing that's currently on the market? No, absolutely not.

That being said, if everyone wants to team up and talk the trash that's typical and expected of car forums... Have at it; however, if you take the time to read what the product is and what it's capable of, you'll see that it's very different. Plain and simple we can all only benefit from it being available, as it creates competition - whether it becomes the most widely accepted method of tuning this car is TBD, but currently it seems to be the most dynamic of what's out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #53
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Guys, do me a favor and don't start jumping on the hate bandwagon here... All that'll come of it is US losing out. Is the product a piggyback? Yes. Is it only available as a pin-out? Currently, yes. Is it the same thing that's currently on the market? No, absolutely not.

That being said, if everyone wants to team up and talk the trash that's typical and expected of car forums... Have at it; however, if you take the time to read what the product is and what it's capable of, you'll see that it's very different. Plain and simple we can all only benefit from it being available, as it creates competition - whether it becomes the most widely accepted method of tuning this car is TBD, but currently it seems to be the most dynamic of what's out there.
unfortunately that would have been the case but the poor attitutes of those posting here discouraged people and tarnished their image. Just pay the fee and move on with life, they can recover the fee through sales anyways, like all the other vendors do. I am sure this site has bills to pay too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #54
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
unfortunately that would have been the case but the poor attitutes of those posting here discouraged people and tarnished their image. Just pay the fee and move on with life, they can recover the fee through sales anyways, like all the other vendors do. I am sure this site has bills to pay too.
I don't disagree... but it also takes $$ for these vendors to break in to different markets too. I've never been the owner or even an employee of one of these companies; however, I have seen the prices for vendor status and, in my opinion, they're quite steep. Would it really hurt to give a break for the first 3-6 months? Or be a little lenient until they're actually SELLING and not talking about their products?

Regardless, the fees shouldn't really be our primary concern as members... That's between the site owners and the vendors. All WE should be demanding is the highest quality and best performing parts available. I do believe there are quite a few of those currently available, but also feel there's a lot left in these motors with a proper tune...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #55
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

well these guys have looked bad from day 1 since I started watching their progress, their attitudes are horrible.......havent seen a product released from them either. Their downpipes look nice....dont see em on the open market though. their piggy is way late to the game and they are discussing basic tuning principles and acting like they just discovered the wheel on force fed poopers website......not exactly confidence inspiring.
      03-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #56
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Procede camp whines about JB
JB camp whines about Procede

But if you're neither, then god help you, because you're gonna suffer the wrath of both.

Keep in mind that a lot of the 'attitude' that Standback folks have, is them being defensive after JB/Procede guys jump all over them.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #57
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think CPE is a great vendor...I have dealt with them from the past and its been nothing but professional....I realized that they have been working on this Standback platform for quite a while, and finally its been finished, although it maybe quite late in the market to introduce this system, I am sure its a well thought out tune...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #58
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yeah, as relative newcomers to N54 tuning it is extremely conceited of them to dismiss the current market leaders (Procede and JB). It could be their product is superior, but "show me the money first".......
      03-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #59
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Procede camp whines about JB
JB camp whines about Procede

But if you're neither, then god help you, because you're gonna suffer the wrath of both.

Keep in mind that a lot of the 'attitude' that Standback folks have, is them being defensive after JB/Procede guys jump all over them.

-scheherazade
that may be the cause of their attitude, but at this step in the "game" they need to be above that being a newcomer. CP-E might not like it, but they need e90 and N54tech to sell their products....after all, they can only sell so many SB's to each other. They are exhibiting the ability to step boost control up and down......yeah great. Learn how to use that control to make the n54 happy and run limp free for thousands of miles and produce great power and THEN end users will buy your product. In the meantime, check your ego at the door or get out....oh wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I think CPE is a great vendor...I have dealt with them from the past and its been nothing but professional....I realized that they have been working on this Standback platform for quite a while, and finally its been finished, although it maybe quite late in the market to introduce this system, I am sure its a well thought out tune...
I hope their tune ends up a great alternative for all of you, they have their work cut out for them though, best of luck.

Quote:
Yeah, as relative newcomers to N54 tuning it is extremely conceited of them to dismiss the current market leaders (Procede and JB). It could be their product is superior, but "show me the money first".......
I agree
      03-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #60
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
yup I've seen that, but you really cant compare tuning a Mazda to this engine....
You can't? The MS3/6 is turbocharged/DI just like the N54....but the tuning is god awful from the factory. If you think we have intrusive throttle body activity, you've never checked out a log from one of those cars stock. Terrible.
      03-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #61
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
You can't? The MS3/6 is turbocharged/DI just like the N54....but the tuning is god awful from the factory. If you think we have intrusive throttle body activity, you've never checked out a log from one of those cars stock. Terrible.
I can believe that....I was referring to the complexity of the ECU for tuning.
      03-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #62
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
I can believe that....I was referring to the complexity of the ECU for tuning.
The complexity of the DME exists for BMW's sake... I mean, look at how long it's taking for a flash to become available for this vehicle! Overall, the same basic concepts go in to the tuning the N54 though. Like any other vehicle, there are some variations, but any experienced and reputable tuner shouldn't have an issue tuning the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #63
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The complexity of the DME exists for BMW's sake... I mean, look at how long it's taking for a flash to become available for this vehicle! Overall, the same basic concepts go in to the tuning the N54 though. Like any other vehicle, there are some variations, but any experienced and reputable tuner shouldn't have an issue tuning the vehicle.
There are several flashes already available, LET, DINAN, ESS, + several others
Appreciate 0