E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2011 Nav DVDs Released

10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

2011 Nav DVDs Released

http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/prod_01....4DC828F35621A0

Still at the "Low" price of $199
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
ilyabu
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible (on order)

Torrents?

Anyone care to post ISOs of these in a torrent somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Now with the DVD, is this for owners of 2006-2009 pre LCI? Or does the DVD update our Hard Drive based Nav Systems as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Now with the DVD, is this for owners of 2006-2009 pre LCI? Or does the DVD update our Hard Drive based Nav Systems as well?
Click the link, please... your answer is there.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
HAHA you could have just said no... I did click the link but I use tabbed browsing so hadn't gotten to that tab yet...

2006 to 2008 EVERYBODY
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Click the link, please... your answer is there.
Actually, the answer is NOT there.

Yes - the older Non-HD systems have a 2011 update, but what about the HD i-Drive? Ambiguous at best.

On the Navigation Update Home page it says the 2011 version is NOW available - presumably for all models.

But, when you select a model with the HD iDrive it simply says you need to visit your dealer. No confirmation that the 2011 Teleatlas updates are indeed available for the HD iDrive.

I'm going to call the dealer and see if they know.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdoc View Post
Actually, the answer is NOT there.

Yes - the older Non-HD systems have a 2011 update, but what about the HD i-Drive? Ambiguous at best.

On the Navigation Update Home page it says the 2011 version is NOW available - presumably for all models.

But, when you select a model with the HD iDrive it simply says you need to visit your dealer. No confirmation that the 2011 Teleatlas updates are indeed available for the HD iDrive.

I'm going to call the dealer and see if they know.
What I think is that there is a bunch of lazy-ass people in this forum... the new, HD-based iDrive requires a set of FSC enabling codes from the dealer to activate the new map update. The FSC codes are based on your VIN. The DVD set is no longer sold by Navteq or TeleAtlas for that particular reason: you have to go to the dealer in person to at least purchase the codes as they either will load the codes into your car using their system or give you a pdf document with a printed 20-character code for you to enter when prompted by the iDrive screen.

The 3 DVD set has to be also bought at the dealer, however it can be ordered online at Tisher or United BMW.

I posted the P/N of both items, with prices, photos and how the process work in this forum. Search, please.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What I think is that there is a bunch of lazy-ass people in this forum... the new, HD-based iDrive requires a set of FSC enabling codes from the dealer to activate the new map update. The FSC codes are based on your VIN. The DVD set is no longer sold by Navteq or TeleAtlas for that particular reason: you have to go to the dealer in person to at least purchase the codes as they either will load the codes into your car using their system or give you a pdf document with a printed 20-character code for you to enter when prompted by the iDrive screen.

The 3 DVD set has to be also bought at the dealer, however it can be ordered online at Tisher or United BMW.

I posted the P/N of both items, with prices, photos and how the process work in this forum. Search, please.
I resent the tone of some of the posters in this forum!

I do of course know the process of how the newer i-Drive nav systems are updated. I know about the enabling codes tied to the VIN, etc. What I was pointing out, if the previous poster had carefully read my post, is that the BMW navigation site it specifically says the 2011 Disks are available. And if you have an older non-HD iDrive, you can order the 2011 disks. However, if you have a newer i-Drive, which requires Dealer installation, the BMW Site doesn't specifically say the 2011 Disks are available. It simply says that you must visit your dealer. It is thus slightly ambiguous as to whether the 2011 updates are available for the newer i-Drive.

If you don't have something helpful or positive to say, please don't say anything!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I resent the tone of some of the posters in this forum!

I do of course know the process of how the newer i-Drive nav systems are updated. I know about the enabling codes tied to the VIN, etc. What I was pointing out, if the previous poster had carefully read my post, is that the BMW navigation site it specifically says the 2011 Disks are available. And if you have an older non-HD iDrive, you can order the 2011 disks. However, if you have a newer i-Drive, which requires Dealer installation, the BMW Site doesn't specifically say the 2011 Disks are available. It simply says that you must visit your dealer. It is thus slightly ambiguous as to whether the 2011 updates are available for the newer i-Drive.

If you don't have something helpful or positive to say, please don't say anything!
You "resent the tone"?

How ambiguous is "you must visit your dealer"? You go or you don't, you call or you don't.

This is not BMW customer service, it is a forum. The same way the OP took his time to post his discovery of the 2011 updates for the "old" iDrive, anybody can do the same for the HD-iDrive 2011 update. Just call your freaking local dealer if you want to know, then post it here as a contributor...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You "resent the tone"?

How ambiguous is "you must visit your dealer"? You go or you don't, you call or you don't.

This is not BMW customer service, it is a forum. The same way the OP took his time to post his discovery of the 2011 updates for the "old" iDrive, anybody can do the same for the HD-iDrive 2011 update. Just call your freaking local dealer if you want to know, then post it here as a contributor...
You're right - this is a forum - a place for owners to share knowledge and insight. Someone earlier simply asked if that update was also available for the HD-iDrive. If you know, simply answer with a "yes" or "no." No need to start calling people "lazy-ass" for not pouring through prior posts (of which there are none I found regarding this issue), or calling their dealer (who doesn't always know.)

FYI - I did call my dealer / SA this morning. He did not know whether the 2011 navigation update is available for any model. He stated he would do some research and let me know.

FOLLOW-UP: My SA says the 2011 Navigation update IS available for the HD-iDrive. I have my car scheduled for routine maintanence next week, so I'll have them do the update.

Last edited by skierdoc; 10-13-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Added Follow-up
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
gdwenger
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Touring

Quote:
FOLLOW-UP: My SA says the 2011 Navigation update IS available for the HD-iDrive. I have my car scheduled for routine maintanence next week, so I'll have them do the update.
Would you mind letting us know what the cost was after your update? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328gary View Post
Would you mind letting us know what the cost was after your update? Thanks.
I was told it would be $199. I'll confirm once it's done, as well as post the changes between the 2009.1 version (which I have now) and the 2011.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Christ- Almighty!!!! All this "Clap-Trap" over a simple post of the 2011 Nav Update being available! This is exactly why I very seldom post anything.

Sorry I bothered to even share the information by starting the thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well the dealer is updating my HD iDrive with the 2011 maps now. It apparantly takes a while. I offered to just pick the car up and do it myself, but they said they only had one set of disks.

Doing the HD iDrive nav updates must be new to them. The SA didn't even really know about the enabling codes.

I wish BMW would just allow us to buy the code and disks ourselves, so we can do it at our convience.

I was initially told the cost would be $199. I'll post an update once I pick the car up.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
skierdoc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok... The report:

I took my car in earlier this week (2010 535i --- I know this is a 3-series forum but this i-Drive forum is better) for routine maintenance. I asked if the 2011 navigation update was available for the CIC (HD I-drive)... I was told by both the parts department and the SA that yes it was.

I confirmed when I dropped it off, and with intervening phone calls, that it was the 2011 Nav update they would be doing. This may have been their first CIC update as they were unaware (initially) of needing the enabling codes, different disks, etc.

I was told today that the only thing left to do was the nav update, and that they were doing it at that moment. I offered to simply complete the update myself. They told me that for the CIC (HD iDrive) they only had one set of disks, so they had to finish it in the shop.

I waited an hour, then headed in. The update was not completed yet. The SA took me to my car, and I saw it was about 60% done - they were on disk two of three. It had been updating for about 90 minutes to that point.

I looked at the actual disks - and I saw they were 2010.. NOT 2011!!!!!! I asked, they checked, and I was then told that for the CIC the 2011 were NOT available. Well I was obviously a bit upset, as I did not want to pay for 2010 (I have 2009 currently). The SA knew very well that I was looking for the 2011 update. I told them to cancel the update. They said they would let the update finish and not charge me. I asked if the enabling codes could be used for the 2011 update (which I would pay for), and the SA told me the codes were only valid for 48 hours.

It took another 90 minutes to finish the update. Once done, I drove home.

Differences between the 2009 and 2010 CIC nav:

I am from Houston. They now have 3D renderings for ALL buildings within 3 miles or so from downtown - houses, commercial, etc. I haven't had a chance to notice any other differences yet.

I was not planning on doing a 2010 update. I wanted to update every other year or so. So, when the 2011 update comes out for the CIC, I will go ahead and do it.

As to comments earlier in this thread from other posters - THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THIS FORUM IS IMPORTANT. No where on the links posted above does it say whether the 2011 update is available for the HD-iDrive. No where else in this forum is this discussed. Even the central dealership in the 4th largest US city was wrong about it.

My SA took (and always has) great care of me. He went ahead and installed the 2010 update no charge to me, knowing that what I really wanted was the 2011.

Once the 2011 is available for the HD i-Drive, I'll update to it.

The charge would have been $225 for the update.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #16
e92socal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 AW

Quote:
Ok... The report:

I took my car in earlier this week (2010 535i --- I know this is a 3-series forum but this i-Drive forum is better) for routine maintenance. I asked if the 2011 navigation update was available for the CIC (HD I-drive)... I was told by both the parts department and the SA that yes it was.

I confirmed when I dropped it off, and with intervening phone calls, that it was the 2011 Nav update they would be doing. This may have been their first CIC update as they were unaware (initially) of needing the enabling codes, different disks, etc.

I was told today that the only thing left to do was the nav update, and that they were doing it at that moment. I offered to simply complete the update myself. They told me that for the CIC (HD iDrive) they only had one set of disks, so they had to finish it in the shop.

I waited an hour, then headed in. The update was not completed yet. The SA took me to my car, and I saw it was about 60% done - they were on disk two of three. It had been updating for about 90 minutes to that point.

I looked at the actual disks - and I saw they were 2010.. NOT 2011!!!!!! I asked, they checked, and I was then told that for the CIC the 2011 were NOT available. Well I was obviously a bit upset, as I did not want to pay for 2010 (I have 2009 currently). The SA knew very well that I was looking for the 2011 update. I told them to cancel the update. They said they would let the update finish and not charge me. I asked if the enabling codes could be used for the 2011 update (which I would pay for), and the SA told me the codes were only valid for 48 hours.

I am from Houston. They now have 3D renderings for ALL buildings within 3 miles or so from downtown - houses, commercial, etc. I haven't had a chance to notice any other differences yet.

I was not planning on doing a 2010 update. I wanted to update every other year or so. So, when the 2011 update comes out for the CIC, I will go ahead and do it.

As to comments earlier in this thread from other posters - THIS IS EXACTLY WHY THIS FORUM IS IMPORTANT. No where on the links posted above does it say whether the 2011 update is available for the HD-iDrive. No where else in this forum is this discussed. Even the central dealership in the 4th largest US city was wrong about it.

My SA took (and always has) great care of me. He went ahead and installed the 2010 update no charge to me, knowing that what I really wanted was the 2011.

skierdoc once the update to the 2011 is made available I think we all are interested in your findings. I just picked up my '09 M3 from the dealer after scheduled service and they advised me that the maps would be available soon. Incidentally I have the same logic as you, every other year update my nav maps, but as of 10/25 the 2011 maps are still not available for the CIC.
      10-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Thanks for the news - when I bought my car in 2006 it came with the 2005 version which I upgraded in 2008. And now, just to make it every three years, I just picked up the 2011 version!!

$199 every three years is reasonable (definitively NO PIRACY in this end)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
vinzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 2007

The 2010 CIC High Road Map North America Premium 2010.1 (3) DVD set P/N is 01 99 0 037 287, $6.97 here: http://www.trademoti...672&catalogid=0
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Vasil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, M5 and 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
The 2010 CIC High Road Map North America Premium 2010.1 (3) DVD set P/N is 01 99 0 037 287, $6.97 here: http://www.trademoti...672&catalogid=0
That link does not work...

We got ours for $50 from http://www.bmwnavigationmaps.com/index.html
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasil View Post
That link does not work...

We got ours for $50 from http://www.bmwnavigationmaps.com/index.html
Shameless software piracy.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
buckshizzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 JB E92 335i

Quote:
Ok... The report:

Thanks for the info! I plan to do the 2011 update once available. I'll also make sure it's the 2011 and not the 2010.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Shameless software piracy.
Exactly......now with that said, can someone post up some torrents or what?