E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ultimate Subwoofer Installation Guide (Instructions inside)

View Poll Results: Did you find this post helpful?
Yes 91 83.49%
No 18 16.51%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

09-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #45
PJS3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OO978 View Post
i bumped into a bunch of wires under the step peice at the rear left door and i attempted to wire in the rca convertors to the candy winded cables to find that they were (most probably) the front two speaker wires. hence my subs can only hear HPF. when i switched it to LPF the subs are extremely weak and doesnt barely thump at all.

im finding it extremely difficult to locate the sub wires that are described in this thread to look for. can anyone help me out please.. my car is currently stripped naked and i would prefer to get it resolved before putting everything back to minimize the amount of times i remove my vehicle panels.

thanks!

when you say rear left door, you mean driver side or passenger? That is where you should be able to find the wires. Go back to the original page and look for the FRONT SUB wires as described, They should be there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #46
installmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330I - Monaco Blue

my suggestion for an easier way to find the wires and make sure you are looking for the correct colors, remove the black trim piece that covers the driver's and passanger's front door rocker panels. it is the piece that makes the transition from carpet to out of the car. if you slide a plastic shim under the outside edge of the piece towards the front of the car, you can lift it high enough to get a flat blade screw driver under the panel. once the screw driver is under there, work it in till you think the end is at the middle of the piece and push down on the handle to pry it up. once the pop clip releases, work your way back towards the rear seats to get the rest of the clips to release.
once the piece is out of the car, find the seam in the carpet near the middle of the front seat. open it up and look under it to find the wires going to the factory sub enclosure to verify the wire colors you are looking for.
If you find the factory amplifier in the trunk, these wire run back to that amp and will be coming out of it. all the wires described earlier in this thread will be bundled together, including the sub wires, and should be running along the drivers side of the trunk up and over the wheel well. if you found the ground block with all the brown wires, then the stereo harness should be right behind it.

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #47
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black E90

hey guys,

my third attempt at reinstalling the sub in my car ended up no good again. i cannot locate the wires that were described. my rear seats cannot be folded down, and im quite sure i do not have an oem amplifier. i have attached afew photos of my attempt, if any of u guys can help me and point me out to where abouts i should find these wires it'll be great.
Attached Images

09-28-2007, 01:48 AM   #48
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
in the lower left hand side of the 2nd pic you posted should be the stock amp. if you have logic 7 it will be silver. if you have the basic stereo system it should be black.

here is a picture of mine.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #49
miss_monaco
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VDubs // Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpcrew13 View Post
in the lower left hand side of the 2nd pic you posted should be the stock amp. if you have logic 7 it will be silver. if you have the basic stereo system it should be black.

Can you please clarify exactly which wire you tapped for the remote?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #50
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_monaco View Post
Can you please clarify exactly which wire you tapped for the remote?

Thanks!

1,2 are one channel and 3,4 are the other channel. you should get a pac trunk-loc if you are gonna do this setup. if you use a pac trunk-loc:

wire 1- (red/blue) will go with the gray wire from pac.
wire 2- (brown/white) will go with the gray/black wire from pac.
those are the right sub wires.

wire 3- (red/white) will go with the white wire from pac.
wire 4- (brown/yellow) will go with the white/black from pac.
those are the left sub wires.

green wire from pac should go on wire 4 (brown/yellow).

ground wire form pac goes to ground on car or ground it to the amp(i grounded to the amp ground).

red wire from pac goes to +12 on amp.

blue wire from pac goes to remote on amp.

good luck.

if you need more help you can follow my link.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #51
PJS3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

i figured out my amp problem. I had wired it to a bad remote which shut off...i wired it to the cig lighter...now everything works perfectly!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 12:36 AM   #52
miss_monaco
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VDubs // Bimmers

Quote:

1,2 are one channel and 3,4 are the other channel. you should get a pac trunk-loc if you are gonna do this setup. if you use a pac trunk-loc:

wire 1- (red/blue) will go with the gray wire from pac.
wire 2- (brown/white) will go with the gray/black wire from pac.
those are the right sub wires.

wire 3- (red/white) will go with the white wire from pac.
wire 4- (brown/yellow) will go with the white/black from pac.
those are the left sub wires.

green wire from pac should go on wire 4 (brown/yellow).

ground wire form pac goes to ground on car or ground it to the amp(i grounded to the amp ground).

red wire from pac goes to +12 on amp.

blue wire from pac goes to remote on amp.

good luck.

if you need more help you can follow my link.

Thank you!!! You're the best!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #53
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep

Quote:

thanks for that, but it seems as though i do not have the black box (oem amp) nor do i have enough colours of cables as noticed in your picture. as u can see in my close up picture of the wire colours ive only got a afew wires compared to your.

whats going on here? im pretty sure that bmw wouldnt have ran wiring for every cars that did want the logic 7 option. i would imagine the time consumption if it was.

is it possible to locate these wires anywhere else because im definately stumped because i cannot see any black box or box for that matter in the location to where your silver logic 7 box is at.
      10-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #54
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
thanks for that, but it seems as though i do not have the black box (oem amp) nor do i have enough colours of cables as noticed in your picture. as u can see in my close up picture of the wire colours ive only got a afew wires compared to your.

whats going on here? im pretty sure that bmw wouldnt have ran wiring for every cars that did want the logic 7 option. i would imagine the time consumption if it was.

is it possible to locate these wires anywhere else because im definately stumped because i cannot see any black box or box for that matter in the location to where your silver logic 7 box is at.
From the looks of it, he removed the stock amp.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #55
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
From the looks of it, he removed the stock amp.
i havn't removed anything since new.. its how i got it. it never came with any amps at all. hence the sticky situation of not being able to find the color wires described in this thread.
      10-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #56
Dr.phuOnger?
*BluRp*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

please check this as well..

it may help.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...70&postcount=1
      10-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #57
michaeljr6
Rep
Drives: X5

same wiring as the E70 X5 woohoo.......this thread helped me soooo much since the E70 is too new, no one has really attempted a sub install lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #58
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep

Quote:
i havn't removed anything since new.. its how i got it. it never came with any amps at all. hence the sticky situation of not being able to find the color wires described in this thread.
any suggestions to where else i could locate these cables from the front? if there is no more options i may have to really consider purchasing an aftermarket headunit just for a sub install.
      10-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #59
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsone90 View Post
So the Subwoofer DIY SUCKS. So after months of trying to find a good subwoofer DIY I finally found the proper way of doing it myself. You`ll need an Amp installation kit and a Hi/Lo converter. Here are the most important things you`ll need.

2. Amp to Radio: You`ll need a Hi/Lo converter to connect the aftermarket amp to the radio. Please make sure you tap into the subwoofer channels and NOT the rear right/left speakers channels as advised in the DIY. Tapping into the rear speaker channels will not yield the low frequencies the subwoofer needs. The hi/lo converter has a right channels -/+ and a left channel -/+. Please make sure you tap into the subwoofer channels as described below. Here is the diagram (thanks to E90post member etik) :

3. Amplifier Power + Ground. This can be taken directly from the battery. Please make sure you add a fuse within 18" form the battery for safety reason.

4. Amp to Subwoofer: This step is very simple. Just use speaker cables to connect the positive and negative side to the subwoofer.

So there you go, you have the remote, the amp connected to the radio via the stock subwoofer channels, the amp connected to the battery and the amp connected to the subwoofer!

Let me know if you have any questions.
hi crimsone90,
today I opened the rear cover in my E91 and found the OEM amp and its cable connector. Here my question: why did you do tap into the wire from amp to speaker instead into the wire from radio to amp? That is the output of OEM amp for the subs and means loss of signal quality?
Since I replaced the OEM subs with Audio-System subs unter the front seats I would connect these two subs with a 2-channel amp. Are there any possibilities not to cut down the 2 wires to speakers at the OEM amp connector, and just to rewire them some where else?
I will be grateful for your helps.

jonywalker

Last edited by jonywalker; 10-25-2007 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #60
jonywalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325d

wiring the speakers

hi crimsone90,
is this the place I can rewire the speakers?
Thanks

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #61
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep

ok its been afew months since my last attempt to install subs into my car, i finally gave up and took my car to the professionals...... to find out they also couldnt install it hahahaha

i told them about how you guys have posted up pics with the standard amp etc, however it seems as though the australian cars dont have them.

final verdict was for me to purchase an aftermarket headunit or a dvd system. i might have to consider this as my 'only' option.
      03-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #62
OO978
BLK OPS
Australia
Rep

did everyone use the pac trunk-loc?

ive been attempting to run it via an ordinary hi/lo convertor that doesnt have the low voltage trigger. the hi/lo that im using only has the speaker signal cables. will this be sufficient? has anyone achieved a working install with an ordinary hi/lo convertor?

thanks!
      03-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #63
330i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Premium and Cold

I did worked fine for about 6 months but just smoked my stock amps back output. Don't know why everything was hooked up right, nothing shorted. The thing wasn't even used very hard. I'm sure that not going to be cheap to replace.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #64
chumhill
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d M-Sport

Hi Guys,

This may be a very dumb question but what is that silver thing in the boot with the wires connected to, is that an amp as i dont appear to have one???
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #65
pruitt68
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I just picked up my 2010 e90 335i, I've ripped the trunk apart and rear seats...can't find the amp anywhere! It's not on the left hand side where it used to be. I had a 2006 325i before this car and had no problem installing an aftermarket amp and speakers. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #66
ken530i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruitt68 View Post
I just picked up my 2010 e90 335i, I've ripped the trunk apart and rear seats...can't find the amp anywhere! It's not on the left hand side where it used to be. I had a 2006 325i before this car and had no problem installing an aftermarket amp and speakers. Any suggestions?
2009 and earlier E90 models had 3 systems:
1. Basic - non USA; HU w/ 6 speakers
2. HIFI - base USA; HU, black amp in trunk, 10 speakers
3. TOP HIFI (L7) - MOST fiber optic, silver amp in trunk, 13 speakers

2010 USA models now have #1 and 3 above, no longer #2.

Lots of posts on the different systems in the forum. Also, check out 1Addicts forum, which has lots of posts on #1 basic system.
Appreciate 0