E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > King Tut

04-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Thumbs up King Tut

Just went today to view the King Tut exhibit in Philly.... if you're within distance of it you should go! Nothing you've ever seen on TV can compare with seeing these pricessles and beautiful artifacts up close! Very likely a once in a lifetime chance to see them without traveling to Egypt.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
lkraven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Saw it when it was in LA.

Confirm for me, Zep, when we saw it, the KING himself was not there. I don't think he's on tour this time around... same w/ your case?

(And by the way, yes, it is very impressive in person.)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Led.....does this exhibition have a homepage?
wanna check if they come to Boston, I saw the bodyworld2 few months ago...pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraven View Post
Saw it when it was in LA.

Confirm for me, Zep, when we saw it, the KING himself was not there. I don't think he's on tour this time around... same w/ your case?

(And by the way, yes, it is very impressive in person.)
Correct. Just many of the items from the tomb, and some other tombs from the same era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Led.....does this exhibition have a homepage?
wanna check if they come to Boston, I saw the bodyworld2 few months ago...pretty cool
Philly is the last stop... here's the link: http://www2.fi.edu/tut/index.html

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Thanks LZ!

My oldest daughter is a big fan but she is a real chicken when it come to flying. I had a hard enough time getting her to Europe, I think Egypt would just about make her nuts. She will be very excited when I surprise her with this. I appreciate the heads up.

-F1
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
It's not flying to Egypt you have to worry about - it is the political climate. We're not exactly loved over there.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
It's not flying to Egypt you have to worry about - it is the political climate. We're not exactly loved over there.
This is true. I would still go in a heartbeat. I may be wrong, but as long as you are not about making a complete ass of yourself in foreign countries, your car may actually be a more dangerous place. I am heading to Kenya in the spring of '08 and may make my way though Egypt to get there. Awareness and respect are an important part of visiting any country. In the third world you learn to expect anything and prepare for it as well. It's not for everyone, but thousands of Americans visit every week. You only live once, let's hope I have an uneventful trip.

-F1
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Agree to a degree F1... and I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Unfortunately, just having blond hair and blue eyes is often reason enough for people to target you.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree to a degree F1... and I'm sure you'll have a great trip. Unfortunately, just having blond hair and blue eyes is often reason enough for people to target you.
True, but my life experiences from travel have been priceless and while caution and personal security are a top priority when I travel, I have not been detered so far. Maybe I am a fool, but I have been to and live in 4 countires in Africa, and have yet to feel unwelcome. I am sure I will find the same to be true in Egypt if I am so fortunate to end up there on my way to Kenya. I guess I am just not a fearful person in that way. I am glad for that.

-F1
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Just went today to view the King Tut exhibit in Philly.... if you're within distance of it you should go! Nothing you've ever seen on TV can compare with seeing these pricessles and beautiful artifacts up close! Very likely a once in a lifetime chance to see them without traveling to Egypt.
you did not bring your camera for a once in a lifetime priceless event? No love for those who are not priviledged enuf to see it
      04-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F1 Fan View Post
True, but my life experiences from travel have been priceless and while caution and personal security are a top priority when I travel, I have not been detered so far. Maybe I am a fool, but I have been to and live in 4 countires in Africa, and have yet to feel unwelcome. I am sure I will find the same to be true in Egypt if I am so fortunate to end up there on my way to Kenya. I guess I am just not a fearful person in that way. I am glad for that.

-F1
I agree that you can't live in fear like that - if so, none of us would leave the house. But I have to say, when I hear the news announcing that another American has been kidnapped or killed in some middle east country, my first thought is usually "what the hell were they doing over there?". It's a shame when the culture and even the government of these countries makes it well known that they would love to kill us all. I guess for me it's a matter of calculated risk... which right now seems like poor odds. I hope that changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
you did not bring your camera for a once in a lifetime priceless event? No love for those who are not priviledged enuf to see it
No photography allowed... as you might imagine. That would be even more annoying if the masses of asshole Americans who flipped a coin and decided to herd themselves through this exhibit instead of going to the mall today could be snapping away with their cameras! It was bad enough having to listen to them yell at their kids the whole time.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

LZ,

Any idea how long it takes to tour the exhibit? I realize some people could spend all day, but I figured 2 hours should be enough. That sound about right, or should I allow more time? I am planning on booking a session sometime after 12. I know they have an IMAX movie as well. Did you catch it and if so was it worth it? I'm taking the whole brood, so were looking at everything x6. The movie seems like it might be worth it, but I was hoping you may have seen it and can provide feedback.

Thanks,
F1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Hi F1,

One of us must be pshycic... I just had the Steve Martin "King Tut" song going through my head (I'm still disappointed they don't play that during the exhibit).

It took us about 2 hours to go through, and we took our time. Add 30 minutes for a brood (or subtract 30 if you're scooting them through). We didn't do the IMAX film. We did that for the Titanic exhibit and were disappointed in it (nothing we hadn't already seen on the Discovery channel), but it might be worth it - and the kids would probably like it regardless.

One thing to bear in mind is the parking situation. You might have to go a few blocks to park, so allow time for that.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
I think the flash can cause damage to the artifacts as well.

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F1 Fan View Post

-F1
Kenya should be fine. It's quite advanced for Africa and a world away from the Middle East.

If you want somewhere different to go, I can highly recommend Ethiopia! Amazing place. Probably the best country I've been to (and I've been to a few )

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
I think the flash can cause damage to the artifacts as well.
Correct. Camera flash is very bright and intense. Thousands and thousands of flashes would be like putting the artifacts in sunlight.

Appreciate 0