E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

01-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #3279
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I think there is still confusion, I have updated my original post.

On this site, exhaust and DPs are generally referred to as two separate things. Yes, the DPs are a part of the exhaust, but on this site, almost 95+% of the time that someone refers to the exhaust, they are only referring to the catback portion of the exhaust. Hence, when someone says an aftermarket exhaust isnt necessary for stage 2+, they mean the cat back portion only. You really should have catless DPs for stage 2+

So when Jstang and Brey335 say that an exhaust isnt needed, they mean an upgraded secondary cats and mufffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #3280
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

I think he's just talking about terminology, and the comments in this post.
yeah, but on this platform the seperation of "DP" and "exhaust" are very much deserved.
If i was talking to a fellow N54 owner and they said they had aftermarket exhaust i wouldn't assume they had aftermarket DPs.
and the power difference of the DPs are why they are usually listed seperatley from a cat back.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #3281
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Yea, the n54 is the first car I have ever modded and as such, researched modding. Now that I am looking at other platforms, I keep looking for the separation without luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #3282
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Just curious if any knows if cobb is working on a "on the fly map change"...i think this would be an amazing feature to have...sometimes i wish i had this feature so i could change it to valet mode when i drive somewhere and realize i may have to valet my car and dont wanna have to park the car and wait 10mins to switch it and then vice versa to get it back to its original tune
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #3283
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282 View Post
Just curious if any knows if cobb is working on a "on the fly map change"...i think this would be an amazing feature to have...sometimes i wish i had this feature so i could change it to valet mode when i drive somewhere and realize i may have to valet my car and dont wanna have to park the car and wait 10mins to switch it and then vice versa to get it back to its original tune
Yep, they are working on it. They've got stage 1+, ATR/ATP, race gas/big turbo maps and who knows what else on the list also. They've got a lot of good things coming our way, we've just got to be patient. After what we've seen, we know they can deliver. So just give 'em some time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #3284
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Yep, they are working on it. They've got stage 1+, ATR/ATP, race gas/big turbo maps and who knows what else on the list also. They've got a lot of good things coming our way, we've just got to be patient. After what we've seen, we know they can deliver. So just give 'em some time.
That's interesting news, as the ability to switch maps on the fly is something that I like very much about my current GIAC setup. If COBB were able to replicate that, I would be quite pleased.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #3285
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Pardon my ingnorance but what is likely to be required for Stage 1+...DCI only?

I'm soon to upload the COBB Stage 1 to my car but what I'd like to know is, if it flashed up "unrecognised ROM", what happens then? Does the car stay with its stock map so that I can drive it or is the stock map stored on the AP rendering my car useless until I can send them the info they need to make the AP work?
On a side note, how would I go about obtaining the ROM and sending it to COBB so that they could do this? This may not happen but it's good to be prepared.

Thinking of the future, how does COBB deal with the addition of catless DP's and blocking out the codes/warning light? Is this mapped out on Stage 2?

Last edited by Cozy; 01-11-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #3286
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post

I'm soon to upload the COBB Stage 1 to my car but what I'd like to know is, if it flashed up "unrecognised ROM", what happens then? Does the car stay with its stock map so that I can drive it or is the stock map stored on the AP rendering my car useless until I can send them the info they need to make the AP work?
On a side note, how would I go about obtaining the ROM and sending it to COBB so that they could do this? This may not happen but it's good to be prepared.
Stage 1+ FMIC is required.

When unrecognised ROM the installation doesnt happen and your car will still run the same, at that point the AP will tell you what to do and it downloads your car's ROM. Then using the AP manager you get the file and send to COBB. Easy

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #3287
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Stage 1+ FMIC is required.

When unrecognised ROM the installation doesnt happen and your car will still run the same, at that point the AP will tell you what to do and it downloads your car's ROM. Then using the AP manager you get the file and send to COBB. Easy
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #3288
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:

Thinking of the future, how does COBB deal with the addition of catless DP's and blocking out the codes/warning light? Is this mapped out on Stage 2?
if you check on COBB site there are info in how to handle unrecognized rom. With catless dps just load stage2 . that takes care of the Cel/SES light.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #3289
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks enrita. I've read that's there's a possibility I might get the SES light on with just the Stage 1, in this case I believe I do a code delete via the AP and it shouldn't return.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #3290
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Thanks enrita. I've read that's there's a possibility I might get the SES light on with just the Stage 1, in this case I believe I do a code delete via the AP and it shouldn't return.
It will keep returning just not straight away.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #3291
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
It will keep returning just not straight away.
Really? Why would the SES keep illuminating only for Stage 1? I believe it should only do this if I installed catless DP's without flashing stage 2?

I'll be flashing Stage 1 on otherwise stock car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #3292
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Really? Why would the SES keep illuminating only for Stage 1? I believe it should only do this if I installed catless DP's without flashing stage 2?

you will get the SES light on stage 1 ONLY if you run catless dps (possibly with catted dps as well).
If you run however dps than i see no point running stage 1 since stage 2 is DONE for dps.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #3293
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Misunderstanding I think . My car is stock, nothing aside from the COBB that I am installing shortly. I read a couple of old posts that stated that after the initial COBB Stage 1 install (on stock car) where the warning light repeatedly flashes during the process (as they are meant to), the SES remained on for no apparent reason. A code scan and delete appeared to solve for both parties and never came back, although it was not mentioned what the code was.

Thanks for clearing up my questions, looking forward to installing .
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #3294
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:

Quote:
Misunderstanding I think . My car is stock, nothing aside from the COBB that I am installing shortly. I read a couple of old posts that stated that after the initial COBB Stage 1 install (on stock car) where the warning light repeatedly flashes during the process (as they are meant to), the SES remained on for no apparent reason. A code scan and delete appeared to solve for both parties and never came back, although it was not mentioned what the code was.

Thanks for clearing up my questions, looking forward to installing .
Ah cool assume you meant you had catless dp and you are going to use stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #3295
fatbuoy
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Catless

Hey all,

New member here and new 335 owner. Love the car and the forum! Since we are on a COBB thread, I have a quick question about DPs. I just took delivery of an AP, but have only played with the S1 Sport so far. Need to change plugs and will then go to aggressive. BUT-I know myself well, and will want more. S2 next! So on to my question...should I go catted or catless? I'm sure this has been debated in numerous threads, but I wanted to hear the answer from the COBB runners please.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #3296
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuoy View Post
Hey all,

New member here and new 335 owner. Love the car and the forum! Since we are on a COBB thread, I have a quick question about DPs. I just took delivery of an AP, but have only played with the S1 Sport so far. Need to change plugs and will then go to aggressive. BUT-I know myself well, and will want more. S2 next! So on to my question...should I go catted or catless? I'm sure this has been debated in numerous threads, but I wanted to hear the answer from the COBB runners please.
depends on many things. It has nothing to do with cobb. for their stage 2 is both catted and catless allowed.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #3297
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Ah cool assume you meant you had catless dp and you are going to use stage 1
No probs . Really looking forward to making the jump, and then again to Stage 2+ before the Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuoy View Post
Hey all,

The decision between catted or catless isn't really tune related. Factors such as your State/Country's emissions laws or noise requirements would normally control it. For the UK at least, we can pass our emissions checks using only the secondary cats in the mid-pipes so catless is of course where I'll be looking .
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #3298
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just wanted to pop in and give everyone an update of things we are working on! We are working hard on N55 support, new N54 maps for both Stage 1 and Stage 2, and our blue car has a meth kit we are testing with. We also just got a couple of new toys to play with.

Stock

Table full or turbos.

Shiny new (upgraded!) parts.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #3299
D3oneO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Just wanted to pop in and give everyone an update of things we are working on! We are working hard on N55 support, new N54 maps for both Stage 1 and Stage 2, and our blue car has a meth kit we are testing with. We also just got a couple of new toys to play with.

Stock

Table full or turbos.

Shiny new (upgraded!) parts.

And the fun begins!! Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #3300
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Very nice ! Can you tell us more about the new N54 maps ? Did you discover new ways / new ECU tables to enhance the power, and will redesign the existing maps completely ? What enhancements will these new maps provide ? If more power, can you tell us how much more power than the older maps ? Do you have an estimate time of release ? Will they be released on time for the new racing season ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0